No announcement yet.

BIG JAKE, Maverick No1, Where are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BIG JAKE, Maverick No1, Where are you?

Originally posted by bigjake
    OKLA-Jackrabbit, I know you are professorial and I suspect you could probably give Ken Jennings a run for his money and  I know that visualization usually helps one succeed...
    but I have always visualized myself from 10 on as a star tailback in the NFL.  I could picture  it beautifully.  Now that I am 48 I just don't think that is going to happen.  So yes I enjoy the theory behind what you are saying but the application has been a real problem.  
    KInd of like that SDMan picturing sdsu in the final 4.  I am sure he has a clear mental picture of that ,too and something tells me that PROBABLY won't happen either.  But we can all dream!!
    Ken Jennings would kick my butt. I'm lost without google handy to look up stuff like that quote.

Comment

I am not much worried about Winona State. If your mens team beat them by 11 then anybody should be able to beat them. We are involved in March Madness while you just got done with February Frustration. Big difference.

Mavs #1

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
        I am not much worried about Winona State. If your mens team beat them by 11 then anybody should be able to beat them. We are involved in March Madness while you just got done with February Frustration. Big difference.

Mavs #1
        I won't get testy about that critique of SDSU as long as UNO beats Winona and then USD (assuming USD can get past Kearney).

Comment

When was the last time that UNO won a Regional game? ???

Go State! ;D

Comment

Mav #1, congratulations on being involved with March Madness. It doesn't happen very often for UNO so it must be a very special feeling.

Comment

ouch
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                Mav #1, congratulations on being involved with March Madness.  It doesn't happen very often for UNO so it must be a very special feeling.
                Of course, it's much easier now in the "new" NCC!

Comment

During Coach Mckenna's first season in 2001-2 we beat Ft Lewis in regionals by about 30 points. I am surprised you people don't remember that bc if I remember right sdsu was at the same regional. So we have had some post season success. We don't have all the national championship banners you have but let's be frank here -most of those banners you have were a long long time ago. (exception being women's bb but as I have said before that is just fluff around the edges).

Comment

I do recall SDSU playing in that regional. Does anyone remember the outcome of following UNO game that year? ;D ;D

Comment

bigjake, you evidently have fluff around YOUR edges. Why do you repeatedly put down women's athletics? You and the President of Harvard must have spent time in the same cave.

Comment

Hey mav, guess you should have been worried about Winona. Look on the bright side, now you don't have to worry about playing Metro.

Comment

I wasn't as optimistic as Mav1 was but did think we would get by winona. But I had no illusions about making the elite 8. Not good team chemistry and poor overall shooting all year long. Help is on the way - we have a good chance to be better next year. No excuses
                          for this year.
                          On the other hand our D1 hockey team is going to the CCHA Super 6 in Detroit which is a nice accomplishment and our wrestling team = National Champs. Overall it was a much better weekend at UNO than you have had thus far in LIncoln but you do deserve props for trying to compete with a very good bb program down in Lincoln.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1

Mavs #1
                            Great comment, looks like the Mav worries are over for this season. Two chokes in a row. I just love it. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

SDSU fan,

Morningside...enough said. Future looks bright for UNO mens basketball with this 6-11 kid stuck in the lane for the next four years along with a point guard in Matt Culliver that some are comparing to Josh Dotzler the all star Creighton recruit. 29 points 15 rebounds and 7 blocks are you kidding me!!!!

March 13, 2005

Pleasanton's big man makes short work of Humphrey SF

LINCOLN - Pleasanton teams of the past had been more dominant during the regular season than this year's squad, but the Bulldogs did not have that dominant player.

Gabe Zwiener was that dominant player Saturday.

The 6-foot-11 University of Nebraska at Omaha recruit scored 29 points, grabbed 15 rebounds and blocked seven shots to lead Pleasanton to a 70-48 win over Humphrey St. Francis in the Class D-1 state championship game at the Devaney Center.

Bulldog players, and members of the community, talked this week about the 78 years that have elapsed since Pleasanton's first state title.

"That was a big factor," Zwiener said. "We came out here knowing we hadn't won since 1927. We really wanted to give something to our fans. This is a great feeling."

Eighth-seeded St. Francis (15-10) shot just 30 percent from the field during the final three quarters. Its inside tandem of Elliot Sjuts and Ben Tasa, who had scored 16 and 18 points, respectively, in Friday's semifinals, combined to make just 7 of 31 shots.

The Flyers committed five second-quarter turnovers, and six in the third, and often Pleasanton's Justin Epley converted them into fast-break baskets. Epley made four steals and scored 13 points, while his backcourt mate Kyle Cruise scored 12, had seven rebounds and dished six assists.

"Their guards, give them credit, they handled our pressure," St. Francis Coach Eric Kessler said. "We were hoping with our 1-3-1 we'd be able to pressure their guards enough to make it difficult for (Zwiener) to get the basketball."

Pleasanton made two-thirds of its field-goal attempts and trailed for only 86 seconds, the last time at 21-20. The Bulldogs then scored 16 straight points, and the margin never again dipped below 13 points.

Cruise found Zwiener and his 6-6 freshman brother Elijah open for close-range shots.

"We moved the ball around quickly and tried to get Gabe open at the free-throw line as much as we could," Cruise said. "He's a pretty good shooter there, and once he gets it, he sees the whole court."

Pleasanton Coach Randy Bauer had taken the Bulldogs to D-1 title games in 1996 and 1997, and they had also reached the Devaney Center in 1984, 1988 and 1991. The Pleasanton trophy case holds runner-up trophies from all five trips.

"We told the guys, it's wide open. There's a not a dominant team in D-1," Bauer said. "It's kind of like, when you least expect it, it happens."

Back-to-back midseason losses to D-2 state runner-up Loomis forced the Bulldogs to refocus their defensive efforts. They responded with eight straight wins to end the season, and 78 years without gold.

And Gabe Zwiener was a dominant reason.

"He's a big-game player," Bauer said. "At state, he's had three complete ballgames."

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                                When was the last time that UNO won a Regional game?   ???

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X