Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whose having a better year?

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

As a team that was the laughing stock of the NCC (Morningside used to look forward to playing UNO)
    Ha! Enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks02
      To: Big Jake and Mavs#1

Good thing you two have each other. Which one of you wears the pants in the relationship?

As far as  your posting about the success of UNO Sports...thanks for the updates. It's hard to find any coverage of UNO sports in the Herald because the Mavs are always buried behind the real programs in Nebraska.

UNO can go on to be the most successful DII program in the country, and that news still wouldn't be as exciting as seeing the Jacks open up the season with the Illini.

You don't become strong by lifting the same weight the rest of your life. If you want to better yourself, you become comfortable with saying that challenges to short term success pay dividends in the future.

I couldn't bench 300 lbs the first time I tried. I knew, though, that I would never be able to if I kept preparing by working out with 100 lbs on the bar.

It's time that you understood, Big Jake and Mav#1. This move isn't about bringing home national champtionships in every sponsored sport.

NDSU, UNC, and SDSU - hell, even UND and UNO - were strong enough DII programs to immediately be competitive at the DI-AA conference level. In fact, Oien and others tried to convince the NCC members that the entire conference was ready to jump to Division I. Some programs, though, were scared.

South Dakota State is becoming stronger. I have talked to many an athlete and read many a quote that referred to how playing against top competition has made our athletes better.

Even if State fans turn a deaf ear, Big Jake and Mavs#1, get your shots in while you can. Soon, the letters UNO will only make State fans think of a crappy card game.

Go Jacks02

I liked your post but there were a few things that I disagree with.  Opening your season with Illinois would be more exciting than being the most successful program in D2??   I continue to fail to see how getting trounced is exciting. UNO basketball opens with Nebraska,but other than being curious to see how we compete, the game does little for me. We will lose and to me that is never fun. I have been around D1 sports my whole life living in Omaha so I guess seeing teams playing big name schools just doesn't do it for me anymore.  But your school and state being new to D1, I guess I can understand why you might get a little excited. But speaking for myself I would guess that will wear off some time in the future for you guys.

I think that the D1 move is great for your state and as an academic institution. Being the only state without a D1 school was not a good thing for South Dakota. My point is that from an athletic point of view I am not sure this was a good move for SDSU. Since that is what this board is set up for, that is why I will be skeptical of the move and talk about it in this forum. You will never get an arguement out of me that the move was not good for your state.

In using your weightlifting analogy, If your goal is to bench 300lbs, based on what I have seen lately with your athletic program, you are barely lifting the bar. I wish you good luck in trying but you have a very long way to go. Remember Thomas Edison had over 1,000 inventions fail before he discovered electricity. Does anyone ever remember the 1,000 failed inventions...No, they just remember the one that succeeded.  I think on the Fantasy Island that you all live in, that failure is something that you haven't considered. I am just here to remind you that the possibility is real. Got to get back to my Fantasy Islands reruns. Boss... De Plane De Plane.

Go Mavs!    ;D

Mavs #1

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

As a team that was the laughing stock of the NCC (Morningside used to look forward to playing UNO),

Funny how things come full circle... Now Morningside looks foward to playing SDSU. Nothing like beating a D1 school on their home floor to make your season.
        ;D ;D ;D ;D Ha! enough said

Go Mavs! ;D

Mavs #1

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
                I liked your post but there were a few things that I disagree with.  Opening your season with Illinois would be more exciting than being the most successful program in D2??   I continue to fail to see how getting trounced is exciting. UNO basketball opens with Nebraska,but other than being curious to see how we compete, the game does little for me. We will lose and to me that is never fun. I have been around D1 sports my whole life living in Omaha so I guess seeing teams playing big name schools just doesn't do it for me anymore.  But your school and state being new to D1, I guess I can understand why you might get a little excited. But speaking for myself I would guess that will wear off some time in the future for you guys.

I think that the D1 move is great for your state and as an academic institution. Being the only state without a D1 school was not a good thing for South Dakota. My point is that from an athletic point of view I am not sure this was a good move for SDSU. Since that is what this board is set up for, that is why I will be skeptical of the move and talk about it in this forum. You will never get an arguement out of me that the move was not good for your state.
          Illinois hasn't trounced us.....yet. Who is UNO opening with next year?

Our struggles are part of the expected course. Scheduling games against Illinois, Kentucky, Georgia So., etc... not necessarily expected.

I would say one win over a program like Illinois would be worth more than DII excellence. A single birth in the NCAA women's or men's BB tournament would definitely be more significant. We left a place that wasn't what it use to be for the promise of a much better place. Cliche, its a journey, a marathon not a sprint.

Lastly, we just don't give a damn what UNO is doing. Please don't update us anymore.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I know in the past I was one of the worst abusers of this rule, however I have changed my ways.

Please don't feed the Trolls.

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm#WIAT

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset people. . . .

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can not be changed by mere words. . . .

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to trolls.

When you try to reason with a troll, he wins. When you insult a troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing that trolls can't handle is being ignored.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Let's just ignore them as there have to be more stimulating topics on this board than engaging these two posters who are just seeking attention.

Comment

[quote author=89rabbit When you insult a troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing that trolls can't handle is being ignored.

[/quote]

If this is the case then Mav. #1 and BigJake have really been having their way with you. They have been beating your a$$ for about a year now.

People can't ignore them because they are the main reasons most of you get on this board. There is only so much you can say about your sports teams getting their butts kicked. So what else can you do besides taking your frustrations out on Jake and Mav for pointing it out to you.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff
                  If this is the case then Mav. #1 and BigJake have really been having their way with you.  They have been beating your a$$ for about a year now.

People can't ignore them because they are the main reasons most of you get on this board.  There is only so much you can say about your sports teams getting their butts kicked.  So what else can you do besides taking your frustrations out on Jake and Mav for pointing it out to you.

Amen to that brother!

Comment

Nothing we can do about Trolls feeding each other, of course they will grow tiered of this too.

Comment

Maverick1, Another outstanding post. You are a credit to this site and I truly believe that your participation keeps interest up and keeps people coming back for more. Maybe some day the Jacks will get good enough where a few of their opponent's fans will come onto this site and run some smack. I can't see the Illini fans feeling very threatening by sdsu and coming here to run some smack but you never know.
                      Great Fantasy Island reference but quite frankly I was more a Love Boat man myself.
                      You are a hall of fame poster Maverick!!
                      PS - I like to give props when they are due and you have to give credit to these sdsu fans - at least they have a few hundred people who are interested and who post. I am not registered on the UNC fan site but go over to read their stuff and they only have about 45 registered members. Nobody cares. At least the Jack fans care.

Comment

..........Fat Jake?.................................Maverdink?

I see trolls travel in pairs so they will have someone that will talk to them!;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

JBNJBQ,

89 Rabbitt has asked you over and over again to quit feeding the Trolls or (best smack runners on this board as I like to call us). Can't you follow simple instructions? When your moderator asks you to jump, you ask how high. So fall in line like the rest of these Rabbitts.

Go Mavs! ;D

Mavs #1

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
                            Can't you follow simple instructions?
                            I'm sure that phrase is one that has haunted you since first grade.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Big Jake and Mavs -

It comes down to what type of person you are - your personal beliefs about the value of winning compared to competing.

When State was a part of the NCC - which WAS the ACC of Division II - I always thought that there were schools playing at the DI-AA level that couldn't compete with Jacks athletics. When SDSU decided to jump, it left me saying, "FINALLY!"

When I look at the first year against Division I competition, I am encouraged.

The Jacks took down Southern on the gridiron - that's not a small accomplishment. A winning record isn't either, even if we there was a blowout from Georgia Southern mixed in (there aren't many teams at the I-AA level that Georgia Southern doesn't blow out).

In volleyball, the Jacks stamped out teams like UTEP and Boston College.

The women's basketball team knocked off plenty of teams from upper-tier schools, and put a scare into some nationally ranked teams too.

Sure, the men's basketball team - historically a point of pride for the department - didn't do well that year. We lost most of our leadership to defection or infection, and truthfully, we wouldn't even have been a very good DII team this past year. It's not going to stay that way, though. And you both know that just as well as I do - if you are honest with yourselves.

In my personal opinion, without challenge there is no room to excel. The spirit of competition is what motivates me - giving my all against all opponents regardless of whether I know I can win. Character is built in such ways. I don't need a scoreboard to tell me I am better than someone.

The Jacks CAN compete in Division I. In their first year, and most assuredly as the Jacks reputation grows.

Reclassification shows courage. There are some big kids on the block, and we're not backing down from anyone. We'll take our lumps, and we'll be wiser for it. We've already won a couple streetcorner fights, and soon we'll have the respect of the neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks02
                                Big Jake and Mavs -

It comes down to what type of person you are - your personal beliefs about the value of winning compared to competing.

When State was a part of the NCC - which WAS the ACC of Division II - I always thought that there were schools playing at the DI-AA level that couldn't compete with Jacks athletics. When SDSU decided to jump, it left me saying, "FINALLY!"

When I look at the first year against Division I competition, I am encouraged.

The Jacks took down Southern on the gridiron - that's not a small accomplishment. A winning record isn't either, even if we there was a blowout from Georgia Southern mixed in (there aren't many teams at the I-AA level that Georgia Southern doesn't blow out).

In volleyball, the Jacks stamped out teams like UTEP and Boston College.

The women's basketball team knocked off plenty of teams from upper-tier schools, and put a scare into some nationally ranked teams too.

Sure, the men's basketball team - historically a point of pride for the department - didn't do well that year. We lost most of our leadership to defection or infection, and truthfully, we wouldn't even have been a very good DII team this past year. It's not going to stay that way, though. And you both know that just as well as I do - if you are honest with yourselves.

In my personal opinion, without challenge there is no room to excel. The spirit of competition is what motivates me - giving my all against all opponents regardless of whether I know I can win. Character is built in such ways. I don't need a scoreboard to tell me I am better than someone.

The Jacks CAN compete in Division I. In their first year, and most assuredly as the Jacks reputation grows.

Reclassification shows courage. There are some big kids on the block, and we're not backing down from anyone. We'll take our lumps, and we'll be wiser for it. We've already won a couple streetcorner fights, and soon we'll have the respect of the neighborhood.

Go Jacks02,

I have to say that you are one of the better posters on this board. Your womens basketball did impress me with how well they did. The reason why your football team did well is that they are in D1aa which is the perfect spot for them. I wish UNO could play football in D1AA but the powers to be say that you can't compete in D1aa in football without other sports following to D1. I do admire the courage that it took for the University to make the move.
                                Where we disagree is with the importance of winning compared to competing. The only place that I can think of that competing is rewarded is 1st and 2nd grade YMCA rec leagues where kids get a participation medal. After that they start keeping score and keeping standings. If it was all about competing than no coach would ever lose his job. A coach with no wins could argue "Hey, we are competing I should be able to keep my job" Why does the NCAA pay the BCS schools millions of dollars? Because winning does matter. If your goal is to compete. Good luck! I want to UNO to win. Coming home from watching UNO lose is not fun even if we competed hard.
                                Keep the good posts coming 02.

Go Mavs! ;D

Mavs#1

Comment

Working...
                                X