NAIA, D2 fans assessment of SDSU's D1 1st YR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAIA, D2 fans assessment of SDSU's D1 1st YR

This is particularily directed at you Mav but I was thinking about how sdsu did this first year in D1 and thought I would put down my grades for the sports I followed and care about. Actually, reflecting back on this year they did better than I predicted they would do although who knows what the future holds.

1. FB - B - I think they did well especially beating Southern but they did lose 5 games and beating unc and ndsu at home was impressive but we would have done that, too. Still a good year - better than I thought. Although I do think they will fall back like UNC did in year 2 especially only playing with 42 rides. I think they will compete OK and do well when and if they get to 63 rides.
    2. Volleyball - B+ - Really impressive. Would have given them an A had they not lost to UMD. Losing to a D2 school can't happen if you deserve an A
    3. Soccer - D- - I saw them play CU and they just aren't very good and just didn't put up much of a fight at all.
    4. Women's BB - A - Really impressive. They beat some impressive names and didn't stumble at all against D2 teams.
    5. Men's BB - D- - Losing to Naia and D2 teams like they did really deserves an F but they did beat a couple of lowly D1 schools and almost beat my beloved ROos which would have ruined my day. They get a "gentleman's d-".
    6. Baseball - D - You beat ND and that should count for something but they just didn't compete very well and don't have enough rides to ever compete. I seriously doubt if they ever expect to compete that far north but at least they are better than ndsu which means something.
    7. Softball - B- - Didn't play enough D1 schools but a win against BU should mean something.
    8. Fundraising - INcomplete - I vote incomplete but based on the minimal amount of info that is out there I tend to think their fundraising efforts probably merit about a D or C at best. Remember no news is usually bad news in fundraising. Generally when places are having success raising money they advertise it in order to make people aware that others think they have a worthy cause.
    I am interested in what you have to say about this Maverick and anybody else who wants to chime in. I think these scores are very fair. Overall I would give sdsu a C+ for year one but think their biggest challenges are in fundraising and men's bb and the jury is still out on that one and probably will be for awhile.

Re: NAIA, D2 fans assessment of SDSU's D1 1st YR

Big Jake,

Very Interesting post. I would agree with most of your assessments with a few minor changes.

Football: B- The win against Southern on the road was impressive but the blowout loss to UC Davis a former D2 school was surely a low point. Good win against NDSU but if the game is in Fargo I think they lose. UNC on the road was a nice win and the Georgia Southern loss was expected. I think the Great West Conference could use some new and impressive members. Overall the program did better than I expected.

Volleyball B+ Had some nice wins against some name schools none of which are considered volleyball powers. While UNO's program has downslid a bit over the past few years, SDSU's appears to be on the rise.

Womens Basketball: A Very impressive year. Might have snuck up on a few people, but did most of their damage on the road which is impressive. More home games in the future should help. Losing to rival NDSU twice is a little bit of a downfall. Amy Ruley is in SDSU's head. Can they keep it up would be my question. I think they play Nebraska next year which should be a good test.

Mens Basketball Z- I don't think I need to go there. People think things will get better. I remain skeptical. Coach Nagy and more home games should help.

Womens Soccer D A D1 soccer program shouldn't play in a city park. I don't think people in South Dakota care about soccer. I see them having trouble getting D1 soccer talent to South Dakota. University needs to make commitment to worlds fastest growing sport. Quit fighting it South Dakota.. soccer is here to stay.

Baseball C- New coach seems to be decent. Win against Notre Dame which had a down year appears to be the highlight. Nebraska and Creighton used them for Batting Practice. As may games as they played against the Valley you would think they could have won at least one game. Hell, even NDSU did that. I do like their coach though.

Softball B- Haven't really followed it close enough to give a fair grade. Had never been a powerhouse in D2 so I wonder how they expect to succeed in D1. I think this program will struggle. Softball in February in South Dakota just doesn't sound right.

Equestrian... who the hell cares. Knowing SDSU they will build the course next the soccer field in a city park.

Overall a decent year. Fans took losses better than I thought they would. We will see if that stays the same if losing continues. I don't know enough about fundraising to comment, but when UNO outdraws you in most sports that is a problem. By the way South Dakota ease of the HO-HO's and Ding Dongs will you?

Go Mavs! ;D Beat State

Mavs #1

Comment

WOW, you guys know more about SDSU than most SDSU fans!  Congratulations, you're a FANATIC!  If you'll give me your address, I'll send you my Jacks FANATIC shirt from a few years back.  IMPRESSIVE!

Comment

Go Mavs!  ;D Beat State  ?? Huh??

You don't play State anymore..... This is what We've been trying to tell you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
          Go Mavs  ;D Beat State  ??

I was wondering about that as well...Nebraska St.?? Winona St.??

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
            Go Mavs!  ;D  Beat State  ??  Huh??

Who said that I meant South Dakota State? As far as not playing us anymore don't tell that to your womens tennis and soccer not to mention swimming. UNO hung a loss on all three of them. Maybe I meant Wayne State or Southwest Minnesota State. Remember those Schools?

Comment

Ummmm... No not really

Comment

I'm going to call your mom and tell her you are using her picture in a negative light.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                  I'm going to call your mom and tell her you are using her picture in a negative light.

That is not his mother. It's his wife!

That's why he spends so much time on this board!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Your both wrong. It is the reigning Miss South Dakota. I don't like her chances at the Miss USA contest. The swimsuit competition would do her in.

Go Mavs! ;D

Comment

Good One "PEEWEE"

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

11 out of 14 sports that we compete in we got either 1st or 2nd. half of the sports we competed in we won a title. Can you say domination!!! Time to celebrate. HO-HO'S and DING DONG's are on me fella's.

Go Mavs! ;D

UNO Claims Women's NCC All-Sport Crown
                        Mavericks Win 7 Titles, Finish 2nd 4 Times

UNO has captured the North Central Conference women's all-sports award for a second time, helping the school to a fourth-place overall finish. Maverick men's and women's teams claimed seven league championships and were second four times in 14 sports

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
                          Your both wrong. It is the reigning Miss South Dakota. I don't like her chances at the Miss USA contest. The swimsuit competition would do her in.

Go Mavs!   ;D
                          Actually, the reigning Miss South Dakota is a USD student.

Comment

Originally posted by JBNJBQ

That is not his mother.  It's his wife!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ
                            Mav no 1 and Big Jake stated in another post that nobody thinks JBNJBQ jokes are funny and everyone on the board ignores JBNJBQ. JBNJBQ, this post is indeed very funny and I commend you for your fine sense of humor. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by JBNJBQ

That is not his mother.  It's his wife!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ
                              I thought this was funny as well, but I heard a rumor thats not his wife but his twin sister. ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X