Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best of South Dakota???

Originally posted by jackmd
    Jackrabbit FB needs a few votes.  Lets help them out.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sports...?event_id=1454

4) Favorite state team?

42.4% South Dakota State (basketball)

21.4% Univ. of South Dakota (football)

19.0% South Dakota State (football)

12.6% Sioux Falls Skyforce (basketball)

4.7% Univ. of South Dakota (basketball)

I feel I have done my part. I have probably submitted close to 1,000 votes for various SDSU things, in order to push them to the top. I was proud and embarrassed at the same time.

Comment

SDsportsFan, all I can say is WOW!    The good news is that your efforts are paying off.

4) Favorite state team?

41.3% South Dakota State (basketball)

27.4% South Dakota State (football)

17.5% Univ. of South Dakota (football)

9.2% Sioux Falls Skyforce (basketball)

4.6% Univ. of South Dakota (basketball)

5) Best rivalry?

65.1% South Dakota State vs. North Dakota State (football)

26.9% Univ. of South Dakota vs. South Dakota State (football)

8.0% Sioux Falls Skyforce vs. Dakota Wizards (basketball)

7) Best in-state college or pro career?

33.1% Adam Vinatieri, South Dakota State

21.9% Jim Langer, South Dakota State

19.2% Adam Timmerman, South Dakota State

16.2% Mandy Koupal, Univ. of South Dakota

6.7% Derek Miles, Univ. of South Dakota

2.8% Lyle Alzado, Yankton College

9) Best place to watch an event?

47.9% Frost Arena (South Dakota St. basketball)

27.2% DakotaDome (Univ. of South Dakota football)

25.0% Coughlin Alumni Arena (South Dakota St. football)

Total Votes: 23,088

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
        SDsportsFan, all I can say is WOW!    The good news is that your efforts are paying off.

4) Favorite state team?

41.3% South Dakota State (basketball)

27.4% South Dakota State (football)

17.5% Univ. of South Dakota (football)

9.2% Sioux Falls Skyforce (basketball)

5) Best rivalry?

65.1% South Dakota State vs. North Dakota State (football)

26.9% Univ. of South Dakota vs. South Dakota State (football)

8.0% Sioux Falls Skyforce vs. Dakota Wizards (basketball)

33.1% Adam Vinatieri, South Dakota State

21.9% Jim Langer, South Dakota State

19.2% Adam Timmerman, South Dakota State

16.2% Mandy Koupal, Univ. of South Dakota

6.7% Derek Miles, Univ. of South Dakota

47.9% Frost Arena (South Dakota St. basketball)

27.2% DakotaDome (Univ. of South Dakota football)

25.0% Coughlin Alumni Arena (South Dakota St. football)

Total Votes: 23,088

Go State!  ;D

If this dude did 1,000 votes I imagine some of you other people are probably approaching 5,000 votes. Way to skew the numbers. I wish I would have never brought it up.

Mavs #1

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1

If this dude did 1,000 votes I imagine some of you other people are probably approaching 5,000 votes. Way to skew the numbers. I wish I would have never brought it up.

Mavs #1
          Apparently Mavs has figured out this isn't a scientific poll, something his initial post was more than a bit hazy about.

Really, ESPN should have put an IP limit on the survey to get a more realistic picture of things, allowing people to vote once. But they didn't.

By the way, I don't get the impression that ESPN is basing their 50/50 stories on these online results, since they're coming to SoDak on August 10 and probably have their coverage already planned. I watched their coverage of Alaska yesterday, and it was just a jumble of stock footage, inane statistics, and ridiculous stereotypes hosted by Steve Levy who was on site in Anchorage. It was, to say the least, not very impressive and reminded me of most instances when the coastal, self-referential mainstream media ventures into the hinterlands.

Quick example: In 1992, I covered SD presidential primary (it was early that year, before Iowa). I'm on the airport pay phone with my editor when Ju Ju Chang, an ABC producer starts talking on the next one over. She's explaining what footage they had: "We got Harkin with some cows (they were steers, at the stockyard), you know, something really South Dakota-ish." That same week, the New York Times filed literally every story about the primary under the dateline: Sioux City, South Dakota. Impressive.

So I have pretty low expectations when these New York (or in this case Connecticut) dopes venture more than 15 feet away from their capuccino machines and their precious New York Yankees.

Comment

I was under the impression that the move to DI and more significantly the future of SDSU as an institution hinged on the results of this poll!!! My understanding is that either the Daktodome or CAS and more importantly the coyotes of Jacks will exist after the Sportscenter visit but not both!!! If we don't win this poll we could lose our school. This is serious.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
              Apparently Mavs has figured out this isn't a scientific poll, something his initial post was more than a bit hazy about.

Really, ESPN should have put an IP limit on the survey to get a more realistic picture of things, allowing people to vote once. But they didn't.

By the way, I don't get the impression that ESPN is basing their 50/50 stories on these online results, since they're coming to SoDak on August 10 and probably have their coverage already planned. I watched their coverage of Alaska yesterday, and it was just a jumble of stock footage, inane statistics, and ridiculous stereotypes hosted by Steve Levy who was on site in Anchorage. It was, to say the least, not very impressive and reminded me of most instances when the coastal, self-referential mainstream media ventures into the hinterlands.

Quick example: In 1992, I covered SD presidential primary (it was early that year, before Iowa). I'm on the airport pay phone with my editor when Ju Ju Chang, an ABC producer starts talking on the next one over. She's explaining what footage they had: "We got Harkin with some cows (they were steers, at the stockyard), you know, something really South Dakota-ish." That same week, the New York Times filed literally every story about the primary under the dateline: Sioux City, South Dakota. Impressive.

So I have pretty low expectations when these New York (or in this case Connecticut) dopes venture more than 15 feet away from their capuccino machines and their precious New York Yankees.

There is an article in the Argus today stating that SD's sportcenter will be help august 10 in Sturgis during the bike rally. Not really Sportscenterish but i guess it is part of South Dakota.

By the way OK, leave my Yankees out of this discussion
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                I was under the impression that the move to DI and more significantly the future of SDSU as an institution hinged on the results of this poll!!! My understanding is that either the Daktodome or CAS and more importantly the coyotes of Jacks will exist after the Sportscenter visit but not both!!! If we don't win this poll we could lose our school. This is serious.
                Not only is it series, it's hugh! /FreeRepublic mistype cliche

(Over there, what we're doing to ESPN is referred to as 'Freeping' the on-line poll . . . )
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979

There is an article in the Argus today stating that SD's sportcenter will be help august 10 in Sturgis during the bike rally.  Not really Sportscenterish but i guess it is part of South Dakota.

By the way OK, leave my Yankees out of this discussion
                  Nothing against the Yankees. It's the Yankee-centric media that drives me crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

Not only is it series, it's hugh!  /FreeRepublic mistype cliche

(Over there, what we're doing to ESPN is referred to as 'Freeping' the on-line poll . . . )
                    I've been tempted to use that term several times in the last few days, but I wasn't sure if anybody else besides me is enough of a geek to recognize it.

Comment

I have a legitimate question that came to mind while filling out that poll. Based on the last 10 years, what would be the biggest rivalry? USD v. SDSU football or SDSU v. NDSU football? Of course, I have an opinion.

Having played against both, it's not an easy question. With USD, there was a genuine feeling of hatred when we played. We played that game with a little more zest. During the USD game week, non-SD teamates would talk about how they had never heard of the USD/SDSU rivalry until coming to SDSU and how they now despised USD. It meant bragging rights for a year. Having said that, the rivalry was a differnet intensity than the NDSU game.

With USD, we went into each game knowing we were the better team. I'm sure that will get the pro-red drifters of this board into an uproar, but there is very little bias is writing that statement. If you look back at the last 10 years of SDSU football, USD is one of the teams we consistently beat. Aside from Morningside, I would guess we have to have one of our best winning percentages against USD. Those who love looking that kind of stuff up, please help me out here. Regardless of records, we always went into the USD game knowing it was our game to lose. In fact, the only game I lost to USD was when our offense just couldn't move the ball and we had 3 turnovers in the red-zone. Every other USD game I played in, we were partying by the 4th quarter.

As for NDSU, we have historically been on the other side of the equation. They generally came into the SDSU game knowing it was their game to lose. There was intense passions on both sides, but they were usually coming out ahead. Then, with the explosion of Ranek, we started the "home team wins" scenario that is currently playing out. Within the last 10 years, our teams have become more equals on the field. No longer was it an upset when SDSU beat NDSU and rarely did a blow-out happen. I'd still say that NDSU generally feels they are going to win each and every SDSU game, and probably rightfully so. But, they know they're going to have to play their best game to do so.

As a player, we played NDSU with as much dislike as we did for USD. I'm not trying to get the NDSU fans who visit this site riled up, but NDSU football have always carried themselves with a certain aura about them. NDSU was the bully on the block for a long time. At SDSU, we were tired of that bully and wanted to show them that we were no longer the wimp to be pushed around. That was the type of hate we brought into that game. I think that feelings probably changed with the move to DI and over the last couple of years. But, when I played, it was always a feeling of "payback's a b@tch" and a "who do you think you are" type thing. That's different than when we played USD.

I guess I've rambled on and on without really making a point. Maybe that's the point. With USD now a team of the past, we're left with NDSU as our only real potential rival. That's why I voted for the SDSU/NDSU rivalry. But, I still feel odd not voting for the USD/SDSU rivalry...if that makes sense.

Give me some other thoughts on this.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

Give me some other thoughts on this.
                        Your comments make perfect sense. USD-SDSU was the biggest rivalry in SD for 100+ years. That rivalry is no more, SDSU has moved up. NDSU-SDSU is now the biggest rivalry. USD-Augie just can't compete with the "big boy" State land grand schools' rivalry, now.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

USD was the only rival I knew for SDSU for most of my life. It was a hatred thing, as Milwaukee points out. I have a different feeling for NDSU... respect. I think that's a pretty good basis for a rivalry. It's not the same kind of thing, and I don't think I could ever come to hate NDSU. NDSU has a first class operation and they've invested a lot in being our partners in DI. But they're also our only nearby rival and that alone, along with respect, should make for a strong rivalry. Look at the Dakota Marker game last year. I watched it on a satellite feed in the sterile control room of the OU Gaylord Hall television station. And it was great... we lived and died with every play of that winning TD drive. I can't wait to experience that in person at Frost or Coughlin. The only thing that would compare last year for my wife and I was Drew Tate's TD pass against LSU on the last play of the Outback Bowl last year. I think the Dakota Marker game was a great start to what will become a great rivalry.

Comment

There.

Coughlin-Alumni Arena (sic) is in 2nd after Frost.

1) Most memorable sports moment?

37.9% Adam Vinatieri kicks game-winning field goal vs. Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI (2002)
                            25.8% South Dakota State wins NCAA Div. II basketball title on Sid Bostic's 40-foot shot (1963)
                            13.9% Adam Vinatieri kicks game-winning field goal vs. Panthers in Super Bowl XXXVIII (2004)
                            13.1% Univ. of South Dakota wins NCAA Div. II basketball title (1958)
                            5.2% Billy Mills wins gold in 10,000-meter race at Olympics (1964)
                            2.2% Josh Heupel leads Oklahoma Univ. to win in Orange Bowl and national title (2001)
                            1.2% Orlando Magic select Mike Miller with fifth overall pick in NBA draft (2000)
                            0.7% Carrol Hardy pinch hits for Ted Williams, only player ever to do so (1960)

2) Favorite sport?

49.4% Basketball
                            27.4% Football
                            7.4% Baseball
                            7.2% Rodeo
                            3.2% Fishing
                            2.1% Golf
                            1.6% Auto racing
                            1.3% Hockey
                            0.4% Soccer

3) Favorite pro team?

50.8% Minnesota Vikings
                            18.8% Minnesota Twins
                            9.6% New York Yankees
                            7.3% Chicago Cubs
                            4.6% Denver Broncos
                            4.3% Green Bay Packers
                            3.4% Minnesota Timberwolves
                            0.7% Colorado Avalanche
                            0.6% Minnesota Wild

4) Favorite state team?

41.1% South Dakota State (basketball)
                            28.6% South Dakota State (football)
                            16.9% Univ. of South Dakota (football)
                            8.8% Sioux Falls Skyforce (basketball)

5) Best rivalry?

66.2% South Dakota State vs. North Dakota State (football)
                            26.2% Univ. of South Dakota vs. South Dakota State (football)
                            7.6% Sioux Falls Skyforce vs. Dakota Wizards (basketball)

6) Best homegrown product?

46.5% Billy Mills (track and field)
                            15.7% Sparky Anderson (coaching)
                            13.8% Mandy Koupal (basketball)
                            8.4% Mike Miller (basketball)
                            6.1% Derek Miles (track and field)
                            3.4% Casey Tibbs (rodeo)
                            2.0% Becky Hammon (basketball)
                            1.6% Josh Heupel (football)
                            1.0% Frank Leahy (coaching)
                            0.7% Garney Henley (football)
                            0.7% Dave Collins (baseball)
                            0.1% Jack Maders (football)

33.6% Adam Vinatieri, South Dakota State
                            22.8% Jim Langer, South Dakota State
                            18.9% Adam Timmerman, South Dakota State
                            15.5% Mandy Koupal, Univ. of South Dakota
                            6.4% Derek Miles, Univ. of South Dakota

8) Favorite personality or historical figure?

34.1% Sitting Bull (Lakota leader)
                            21.8% Tom Brokaw (newscaster)
                            20.5% Crazy Horse (Lakota leader)
                            14.9% Tom Daschle (politician)
                            3.4% Cheryl Ladd (actress)
                            2.8% Laura Ingalls Wilder (author)
                            1.5% Hubert Humphrey (politician)
                            0.6% George McGovern (politician)
                            0.3% Mary Hart (teleivision)
                            0.2% Shawn Colvin (musician)

47.3% Frost Arena (South Dakota St. basketball)
                            26.4% Coughlin Alumni Arena (South Dakota St. football)
                            26.3% DakotaDome (Univ. of South Dakota football)

10) Have you been to South Dakota?

89.9% Yes
                            10.1% No

Total Votes: 24,400
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

No actually what we are doing is "freeping the creep!"

That will teach Mavs#DII to bring his un-scientific crap poll to our board. ESPN will have to take notice of the overwelming support South Dakota has given for the states "Univeristy of Choice."

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Originally posted by JBNJBQ

No actually what we are doing is "freeping the creep!"

That will teach Mavs#DII to bring his un-scientific crap poll to our board.  ESPN will have to take notice of the overwelming support South Dakota has given for the states "Univeristy of Choice."

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ
                                What I think you meant to say is the overwhelming support that the 10 (I have no other life) fans continue to give the little D2 school who thought it could. I think we can. I think we can ....I think we can

Mavs #1

Comment

Working...
                                X