The Blizzard of 05'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Blizzard of 05'

I worked for govt agency that made loans to rural electrics and rural telephone companies until I recently retired. It has not been uncommon for these companies and cooperatives to request FEMA help and its happened more times than is ever publized in most newspapers. When ice storms happen two to three times a year and poles are destroyed, the politicans from both parties, in all fifty states and territories are very quickly working with the govenor to form a total dollar request for assistance from FEMA and we have yet to have President of the US say "no".

This is not to the fault the rural electrics and telephone companies as most utility plant is not insured for this type of damage.  Extensive damages could only be paid for with increased utility rates, which are already high in some areas. Another blow to a already suffering rural society.

*Edited for Political content

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
      I had a teacher in high school who had spent a large majority of his life teaching both on the west and east coasts and had just come to our small town in Minnesota from a high school in Georgia. He said he could easily tell the differences in attitude between students in the midwest compared to other parts of the country. He said us midwest kids had better work ethic and natrually had a greater respect for other people.

Anyways, I think the big difference between the midwest and south is that there is more of an extreme of poverty in the south than midwest. Also in the New Orleans case I think there was bad city planning and leadership. Who puts a large metropolitan area 15 feet below sea-level? Of course they will rebuild and i'm sure another disasterous hurricane will hit the city again in my lifetime. What's wrong with some of your guy's generation... ;D Some people's parents :
      ;D ;D ;D
      Two out of the three poorest counties (per capita) in the United States are right here in South Dakota. Zeibach County and one other which name slips my mind right now. If you want to see poverty, you don't have to travel down south.

Comment

Two out of the three poorest counties (per capita) in the United States are right here in South Dakota. Zeibach County and one other which name slips my mind right now. If you want to see poverty, you don't have to travel down south.

I believe you're right, I think the other one is Harding county, i'm probably wrong. Maybe Harding county is the least populated county in SD...isn't it safe to assume that there are more people living in poverty in La. than in SD.

Comment

Fact, South Dakotans are hardy and relatively self-sufficient.

Fact, there is NO COMPARISON between hurricane Katrina and the blizzard last week.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Sorry, but it's not Harding County. It's either Todd or Shannon, both are reservation counties as is Ziebach.

Comment

Working...
            X