X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Men's Basketball attendance

Originally posted by jackmd
    One question for yote and mav fans.  

In the history of the NCC who has the most successful men's basketball program?
    The correct answer:

The University of North Dakota.

Has all-time winning record against SDSU, USD, NDSU, UNO, SCSU, MSUM, AC etc.

Comment

in response to Sioux's answer i checked the record book. for men's titles

UND has 21 conference titles
      SDSU has 22 conference titles
      NSDU has 10 conference titles
      USD has 12 conference titles

WE are the most successful according to the NCC site. now granted that UND and USD have had 2 more years in the NCC since we went D1. thats not cool...moral of the story we were the cream of the crop of the NCC.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxpreme

The correct answer:

The University of North Dakota.

Has all-time winning record against SDSU, USD, NDSU, UNO, SCSU, MSUM, AC etc.
        I'll give you the all-time winning record, however you must consider other factors and I will make my point.

Look at the post-season, in some ways its close with both UND and SDSU having 6 regional titles.

In others its not, we have a championship and a runner-up finish,  24 post -season appearances and 36 wins vs 19 and 29 for UND.

I'd also wager we've spent more time in the national rankings than any other school in the NCC, although I can't support that with numbers right now.

Take it for what its worth, I would gladly present SDSU's case as the most successfull men's BB program in the NCC's history before any arbitrator.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

[quote author=89rabbit link=board=Smack;num=1140934817;start=15#27 date=03/03/06 at 06:59:48]All right boys, let's start with the basics.  SDSU's Men's Program has 8 D-I wins.  Probably the most impressive were Denver (NIT last year) and Central Florida (C-USA, on the road, NCAA Tourney last year).  How many D-I wins did USD get?  How about UNO?  Let's put them together and see what we have?  The answer is the same zero, nada, and zilch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If USD had as many tries as SDSU has had over the last couple of years I can just about gaurentee you they would have more wins than SDSU has accumulated over the past 2 years. If you have about 25-30 D1 games and only win 8-10 of them it's not especially good considering many of those games were against the lowest echelon teams in D1. In basketball the teams that are lower than 150 on the RPI index are no better than the good D2 teams, especially the ones below 250. Case in point SDSU nearly lost to Southwest State on at Frost Arena. If the game was on a neutral floor the Mustangs probably would have won and if the games in Marshall they surely would have won. Considering that Southwest played SDSU better than many of the D1 teams did at Frost what does that say for the bottom tier of D1 basketball. Not much especially since they are a middle of the road NSIC team.

SDSU had much better teams before they moved to D1. They played harder and were just simply better. If my memory serves me right USD took that 2003-2004 SDSU team down for 2 losses in the same week and when it mattered the most, in the last week of the season and then in the NCC tourney. The 2005-2006 version of SDSU basketball would lose to the 2003-3004 version of SDSU basketball. For one thing the 03-03 version had a heck of alot more fan support and they had much more confidence as well.

One of the biggest reasons for the success of SDSU womens basketball at the D1 level is that generally around the country their is still little fan support for college womens basketball compared to mens. It is not a big focus around most major D1 campuses and having a winning program is not that big of a deal. If I remember correctly Aaron Johnson said on the radio that womens basketball is followed with more passion around the upper midwest than it is just about anywhere else in the country. It's not all that difficult to have a good womens program in D1, but with that said it's still a great accomplishment for the SDSU womens basketball team to have the success that they are having.

As far as womens basketball is concerned I am a bandwagon fan. I was never a loyal follower of the Coyote womens team in the past. I did have interest for about 2 or 3 years but now I don't care much anymore. I put most of my efforts into cheering on mens basketball and football which can be said for most fans of college sports.
          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Silly Coyote fan you totally misunderstood the leason of Southwest Minnesota State (a team that beat your Coyotes - - SMSU 75 - USD 69), but I guess that is understandable after all you did go to USD.

SDSU a D-I team with just 5 scholarship players (not all of which were D-I recruits), 3 walk-ons, and 4 football players (that had practiced with the team 1 day) beat a fully loaded D-II team.  That doesn't say much for your Division.  Whether you believe it or not, there is a big difference between D-II and D-I.  Don't believe me?  Well, talk to your AD and coach, schedule some D-I games.  Nothing is stopping you.  UNI would be a close one or see if UMKC wants a game they are close also.

Like I said before you guys really need to worry about catching up with Northern State, the best D-II team in South Dakota,  before you worry about what is going on with the "Big Boys".  

Good luck today against St. Cloud State, although I have a feeling the Huskies are going to end your season.

South Dakota State University - - D-I in everything we do!  8)

Go State!  ;D

P.S. Did you get a chance to read the Argus yesterday?  If not I am sure you will enjoy this story:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...603030328/1001

SDSU ranked state's top research institute

From Staff Reports

Article Published: 03/3/06, 2:55 am

South Dakota State University has been ranked as the top research institution in the state by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.

Carnegie's rankings, released this week, reflect the number of doctoral programs, the breadth of institutional research programs, and funding generated in support of research, said Kevin Kephart, SDSU's vice president for research and dean of the graduate school.

Among the research it does, SDSU is the home of the Sun Grant Initiative, a national network of federally funded land-grant universities conducting research and educational programs on renewable energy and bio-based industries.

It also works in partnership with EROS Data Center and is home to the Geographic Information Science Center of Excellence.

Kind blows that whole "we are going to stay D-II and focus on academics" argument that your President made out of the water doesn’t it.  

Comment

Final Results are in

SDSU Men - Avg. 2,070 per home game

USD Men - Avg. 1,979 per home game

SDSU Women - Avg. 1,905 per home game

UNO Men - Avg. 1,111 per home game

Congratulations to the USD Men for just nipping our Women's program, better luck next year to our friends from UNO.

Go State! ;D

Comment

If USD had as many tries as SDSU has had over the last couple of years I can just about gaurentee you they would have more wins than SDSU has accumulated over the past 2 years.
                Well, you would have to bite the bullet and move to D-I for USD to get to challenge themselves againsf D-I opponents. Maybe you would do better. But I guarantee you can't guarantee it.

Comment

Coyote_fan, please tell me your still in high school and this is the reason for your ignorance.

The NSIC is now the equivalent of the NCC, if not ahead of you. USD finished 1-2 against NSIC teams this year, including a loss to Southwest St. NSU and WSU are both ranked in the top 15 and hold secure spots in the post-season. When Bemidji St. wins the NSIC tourney, 3 teams from the NSIC will be in the regional.

Speculate all you want. Talk trash and try to bring us down. We are well aware of the current struggles of our men's BB team, but given our proud and strong tradition we are confident we will rebound.

Its what those who wish they were in someone elses shoes who make comments like the ones you have. Picking and choosing numbers and scenarios trying to defend their feeble ego.

Fact, we're DI, you're DII. Our history of success at the DII level greatly exceeds yours across the board (not speculation, fact). We have been down before and will be back up, its just a matter of time.

I know you'll keep you eye on us. You'll draw pleasure from our struggles and still remain envious. When we succeed you will down play it and say "we could have done the same". Well my friend, you aren't and if you didn't know, you can't do the same. Sucks to be you, dude, sucks to be you.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
                    All right boys, let's start with the basics. SDSU's Men's Program has 8 D-I wins. Probably the most impressive were Denver (NIT last year) and Central Florida (C-USA, on the road, NCAA Tourney last year). How many D-I wins did USD get? How about UNO? Let's put them together and see what we have? The answer is the same zero, nada, and zilch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If USD had as many tries as SDSU has had over the last couple of years I can just about gaurentee you they would have more wins than SDSU has accumulated over the past 2 years.

(more meaningless drivel deleted)
                    If you go about guaranteeing things it might behoove you to learn how to spell the word.

Other than that, let's just say I don't bother arguing with D-II people any more. It's a little like what they say about wrestling pigs in the mud--you just get dirty, and the pig likes it.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Time to bring this topic back to the forefront.

Its for all those who are DII.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...8424916;start=

Here is part of the topic:

After reading all the posts from concerned USD, UND, UNO, and even timid SDSU fans (hereon referred to as "you&quot, I thought it was time to give all of you your own subject under which to post. DI envy seems most appropriate, after all it is jealousy that underlies the feelings expressed by those oppossed to SDSU's move.

Sure, there are feeling of inadequacy and inferiority also, but you can't blame us (SDSU supporters) for that. As a former first lady once said:

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent."
                      Eleanor Roosevelt 1884-1962, American First

So, post away. Some of us welcome your concern and hope that you keep SDSU in the forefront. I am certain it also helps you deal with the feelings of inadequacy, inferiority and envy that have resulted from the bad choices you have made thus far in your life. No worries, I anticipate you'll continue to make the same poor decisions in the future.

So, wish us luck if you have the respect and self-esteem to do so. If you don't, do what you have to do to protect your fragile ego. We're going to be here regardless.

Comment

This is fact. Here is the all-sports honor roll from the last 20 plus years in the NCC.

I bolded the years that SDSU has won. Coyote_fan, why don't you go through and bold the years USD has won?

Looks like SDSU women 4, SDSU men 11 including 4 of the last 5 years as members of the NCC. You may also note the domination by the current DI schools. Let me help you out, UNI, NDSU and SDSU.

Womens All-Sports Honor Roll: 1982-83 South Dakota State, 1983-84 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1984-85 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1985-86 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1986-87 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1987-88 North Dakota State, 1988-89 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1989-90 North Dakota State, 1990-91 MSU, Mankato/North Dakota St., 1991-92 St. Cloud State, 1992-93 North Dakota, 1993-94 South Dakota State, 1994-95 South Dakota State, 1995-96 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1996-97 St. Cloud State/South Dakota State, 1997-98 Northern Colorado, 1998-99 North Dakota State, 1999-00 North Dakota State, 2000-01 North Dakota, 2001-02 North Dakota, 2002-03 Nebraska-Omaha, 2003-04 North Dakota.

Mens All-Sports Honor Roll: 1970-71 North Dakota St., 1971-72 Northern Iowa, 1972-73 Northern Iowa, 1973-74 Northern Iowa, 1974-75 Northern Iowa, 1975-76 Minnesota St., Mankato/South Dakota St., 1976-77 Northern Iowa, 1977-78 Northern Iowa, 1978-79 South Dakota St., 1979-80 South Dakota St., 1980-81 South Dakota St., 1981-82 North Dakota St., 1982-83 North Dakota St., 1983-84 North Dakota St., 1984-85 North Dakota St., 1985-86 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1986-87 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1987-88 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1988-89 North Dakota St., 1989-90 North Dakota St., 1990-91 North Dakota, 1991-92 South Dakota St., 1992-93 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1993-94 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1994-95 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1995-96 South Dakota St., 1996-97 South Dakota St., 1997-98 St. Cloud St., 1998-99 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1999-2000 South Dakota State, 2000-01 South Dakota State, 2001-02 South Dakota St., 2002-03 South Dakota State, 2003-04 North Dakota State.

I'll help you out, USD has never won, never. Just the facts, Jack.

Comment

Coyote_Fan: You have no clue.  With regards to State playing the lowest echelon teams.  Let me remind you who 11 our losses have been to: Kentucky (RPI: 33), Illinois (RPI: 11), Marquette (RPI:21), Wisconsin-Milwaukee (RPI:55 and Regular Season Horizon League Champs), Nebraska (RPI:104), Manhattan (RPI:81 MAAC Regular Season Champs), Minnesota (RPI:77), Butler (RPI:87), Utah State (RPI:48), Middle Tennessee State (RPI:103), San Diego State (RPI:62 Moutain West Regular Season Champs).  I know SDSU Men's Basketball is having a down year, but there is a lot to look forward too.

Comment

Filbert, You are right - we didn't have 9 d1 wins this year. In our D1 sport we had 19 and we are still counting. We also did it against upper echelon d1 schools with good sized budgets. Not exactly against pan american and my beloved roos. We also killed you in attendance and most of our fans are actual paying fans and not students who meander over to the game and just show their ID and come in. Our hockey fans pay for their seats. I would bet that the higher ups at sdsu are much more concerned about budget these days than the people at uno are. Finally, we are in a great league with the likes of OSU, Notre Dame, Michigan and Michigan State. Not exactly "bush league" universities. I am going to a playoff game tonite - most of you will probably be sitting in front of your computer tonite trying to figure out who is going to take UNC's place in that fledgling league of yours or else you will be on the MId COnt board thinking of far fetched scenarios where they will invite you into their league. It is great to be a winner in D1!!!
                            JackMD - are you really a real doctor or are you a doctor like Julius Erving. I always thought medical docs were busy. You post so often that it makes me wonder if you really are a doctor. Or maybe you are a PHD doc who is up in his "ivory tower" somewhere?
                            Finally, where has Okla Jackrabbit been lately. Maybe he got disillusioned with all the losing and gave up? Just wondering

Comment

Originally posted by MAVPOWER
                              Filbert, You are right - we didn't have 9 d1 wins this year. In our D1 sport we had 19 and we are still counting. We also did it against upper echelon d1 schools with good sized budgets. Not exactly against pan american and my beloved roos. We also killed you in attendance and most of our fans are actual paying fans and not students who meander over to the game and just show their ID and come in. Our hockey fans pay for their seats. I would bet that the higher ups at sdsu are much more concerned about budget these days than the people at uno are. Finally, we are in a great league with the likes of OSU, Notre Dame, Michigan and Michigan State. Not exactly "bush league" universities. I am going to a playoff game tonite - most of you will probably be sitting in front of your computer tonite trying to figure out who is going to take UNC's place in that fledgling league of yours or else you will be on the MId COnt board thinking of far fetched scenarios where they will invite you into their league. It is great to be a winner in D1!!!
                              JackMD - are you really a real doctor or are you a doctor like Julius Erving. I always thought medical docs were busy. You post so often that it makes me wonder if you really are a doctor. Or maybe you are a PHD doc who is up in his "ivory tower" somewhere?
                              Finally, where has Okla Jackrabbit been lately. Maybe he got disillusioned with all the losing and gave up? Just wondering
                              Observe the pig. See as it attempts to entice others to wallow.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by MAVPOWER
                                JackMD - are you really a real doctor or are you a doctor like Julius Erving.  I always thought medical docs were busy.  You post so often that it makes me wonder if you really are a doctor.  Or maybe you are a PHD doc who is up in his "ivory tower" somewhere?
                                Those of us who are good at what we do, always find time to do what we want.

Nice to know you're thinking about SDSU and it supporters all the time. Looking forward to your next post about DI sports and South Dakota State University.

P.S. This site does a nice job of keeping me out of that "Ivory Tower".

Comment

Working...
                                X