Isn't Omaha Amazing - Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Isn't Omaha Amazing - Part 2

You must have failed history class, Mavs Rule. The Guardians Classic occurred at the START of the season, BEFORE the alleged incident in the dorm.

Actually, an unaired portion of the interview (damn technical difficulties) has been uncovered:

Conley: Coach Nagy, how was it to play in Rupp Arena?
    Nagy: It was fun. A lot better than playing in that dump in Omaha.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
      You must have failed history class, Mavs Rule. The Guardians Classic occurred at the START of the season, BEFORE the alleged incident in the dorm.

Actually, an unaired portion of the interview (damn technical difficulties) has been uncovered:

Conley: Coach Nagy, how was it to play in Rupp Arena?
      Nagy: It was fun. A lot better than playing in that dump in Omaha.

Alleged? ? ?   The ESPN that you love so much reported that the incident is closer to fact than most of you will admit. I actually was quite good at history. My favorite year happens to be 1963. ;D ;D ;D

Comment

It says a great deal about you that you consider the topic appropriate for a smack forum.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

You might have been ok at history but you obviously haven't had any law classes. There is no question as to what the boys were doing. The allegation stem from the nature of the act (s). The question at hand it was the act (s) consensual? In this country you are incident until proven guilty. So until the boys have their day in court and it is decided one way or the other, any allegations of wrong doing are just that allegations. So I believe if you look back at ESPN's reporting you will see that they indicate that the players in question allegedly took part in the incident. I hope you now have a better understanding of the US legal system. Let me know if you need more help.

Speaking of history, ESPN has been on the air since 1979. Has UNO ever had a sporting event on any of the ESPN channels? Your road out of sports obsruity is only going to get tougher if the NCC and NSIC merge not a lot of out cry from college sports fans to see the big Minnesota Crookston vs. Nebraska Omaha match ups of the future. Best of luck to you and your Maverick brother. I hope they don't decide to bag your athletics department as a whole, but they just might. I mean come on running million dollar deficits is hard to do and harder to live with for a school like UNO.

Oh well if they do shut you down you both will just root for your favorite D-I schools (Nebraska and or Creighton). That is kind of UNO's problem you are the two most passionate UNO supporters that I know (ok you are the only UNO supporters that I know) and yet your loyalties are divided between your school and many other D-I schools. Heck MavPower even has a soft spot and expresses his support for UMKC. It is easy to see why UNO really doesn't have a solid fan base and has very precarious financial situation.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs Rule

I actually was quite good at history. My favorite year happens to be 1963. ;D ;D ;D
            Interesting that you mention 1963, since that's when SDSU's men's basketball team won the NCAA College Divsion championship (predecessor to D-II)

What has UNO's men's team done? Besides hire that head case Kevin McKenna a few years ago. The guy was a head case coaching the Rapid City Thrillers; he was a head case at UNO.

Real Impressive.

Good at history, sucky at research
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Jackoff1

Speaking of sucky research...Mckenna coached the Sioux Falls Skyforce not the Rapid City Thrillers. Teach what you preach!!!  That headcase Mckenna owned your boy Nagy.  Nagy was his personal whipping boy. And if Nagy is so lucky to get to play Creighton... Mckenna will lay the wood to him again.

Mavs#1

Comment

Well, I guess it wasn't a total lobotomy!

Jackoff1... how original. Your parents must be SO proud. Did you need to lay down and take a nap to rest your brain after thinking up that little gem?
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

If you'd like, I can use simpler language, even have JBNJBQ draw you up some illustrations!

A word to the wise (and not-so-wise)... don't get in a war of words with a guy who buys his ink by the metric ton!
                  I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs Rule
                    Jackoff1

Speaking of sucky research...Mckenna coached the Sioux Falls Skyforce not the Rapid City Thrillers. Teach what you preach!!!  That headcase Mckenna owned your boy Nagy.  Nagy was his personal whipping boy. And if Nagy is so lucky to get to play Creighton... Mckenna will lay the wood to him again.

Mavs#1

Speaking of more "sucky research" .  .  .  McKenna's has a losing record vs. SDSU and Coach Nagy.  His all time record against the Jacks is 3 wins and 4 losses.  While better then most in the NCC, I think it is safe to say that Coach Nagy was not McKenna's whipping boy.  :

Go State!  

P.S. SDSU all time record against UNO:  46 wins and 29 losses

Comment

i think the mav boys are jealous cuz we have over of omaha natives going to sdsu and doing well. maybe there is a reason they choose sdsu over UNO. Responsibility which your AD and chancellor could learn very well up here, to get away from the dang smell of cow crap coming from behind the UNO campus and the stockyards, and a chance at a better education. Why go to omaha when there is less drama in brookings.

Comment

I think our friends from Omaha will need some new screennames once UNO eliminates their athletic dept. or just become completely irrelevant.

Mavs Rule: either Jays Rule -or- Jays#1 since Creighton is a D-1 fixture

Mavpower: Roospower since UMKC will be one of our new Mid-Con rivals

Both would work since the Mav Twins already like those schools. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                          [quote author=Mavs Rule link=1153281050/15#20 date=1153927541]

Speaking of more "sucky research" . . . McKenna's has a losing record vs. SDSU and Coach Nagy. His all time record against the Jacks is 3 wins and 4 losses. While better then most in the NCC, I think it is safe to say that Coach Nagy was not McKenna's whipping boy. :

Go State!

P.S. SDSU all time record against UNO: 46 wins and 29 losses
                          Based on uno athletic department accounting, they probably consider a 3-4 record to be "owning" someone.
                          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

As always we focus on titles and Mckenna won 2 NCC titles while he was at UNO and Nagy won 1 while he was there. Scoreboard!!! On by the way he won a NBA championship with the Lakers and I am quite sure that Nagy can't say that.

Mavs#1

Comment

Lets take it to the next level.  Over the three years that Nagy and McKenna went head to head - NCAA post season appearances:

SDSU NCAA playoff appearances = 3

UNO NCAA playoff appearances = 2

NCAA Playoff wins and loses

SDSU 3-3
                              UNO 1-2

Oh, by the way who ended both of McKenna's runs with UNO .  .  .  that is right South Dakota schools.  8-)

'01-'02

SDSU 96 - UNO 76

'03-'04

USD 81 - UNO 71

Looks to me like McKenna is the state of South Dakota's whipping boy.  Even after we left D-II McKenna still couldn't get it done come playoff time.  He lost to Winona St. in the first round in his last season at the helm of the lone cow program.  McKenna's NCAA D-II playoff record is 1-3.  No wonder he jumped at the chance to be an assistant coach at the D-I level.   ;D

Go State!  

Comment

Even more out of Omaha:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=...;u_sid=2212863

Regents want answers on UNO athletics

BY MATTHEW HANSEN

University of Nebraska regents knew little about the fiscal problems facing the University of Nebraska at Omaha's athletic department and will demand answers at their meeting this week.

In interviews with The World-Herald, five regents said UNO Chancellor Nancy Belck never told them that she had shifted $1 million in each of the last two years from reserve funds to keep the UNO athletic department out of the red.

They said Belck and NU President J.B. Milliken never informed them that Maverick sports had lost about $3.5 million over five years. And Milliken said Belck told him only last month.  .  .  .

When the regents meet Friday in Grand Island, several said, they want to talk with Belck and get answers to some lingering questions:

? Why weren't key athletic boosters consulted before the UNO athletic department laid off five employees?

? Did Belck and others have their priorities confused when they shifted university money to bolster the athletic department?

? Why are the regents learning of all this from a newspaper?

"How can you be part of the solution when you don't know about the problem?" asked Regent Randy Ferlic of Omaha this week. "(Boosters) are mad. . . . I feel the same way."

Regents often don't know about budget problems in specific university departments and say they didn't need to know every detail about the UNO athletic department budget crunch.

But they say that Belck broke what Regent Kent Schroeder of Kearney called "an unwritten rule" - tell the regents about potential controversies, particularly involving something as high-profile as sports, especially if the controversy might become public.

For example, Milliken told regents about a UNO student's complaint that high-profile dean Tom Gouttierre allegedly slapped her weeks before the complaint became public, Schroeder said. But for whatever reason, he said, the UNO athletic department budget woes never reached the regents.

"I want to hear from Chancellor Belck, and (UNO vice chancellor) Jim Buck, and whoever else," said Regent Charles Wilson of Lincoln.

Responding, Belck said she doesn't believe that she withheld any information that should have been shared with the NU president or the regents.

The budgetary moves weren't large enough to take to the board, she said Tuesday.

Her focus was on handling the athletic department crisis in-house, not making that crisis public, Belck said.  .  .  .  

Several regents said they would have objected to the extra $2 million that Belck sent to the athletic department, had they known about it.  .  .  .

Hassebrook and Wilson said any additional money for the athletic department should be questioned, especially since a budget crisis forced UNO to cut nearly $12 million - including 170 academic positions - several years ago.  .  .  .  (read more)

Sure glad this isn't my Alma Mater.  

Go State!  

Comment

Working...
                                X