Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: this guy brings up some good points

Originally posted by Mavs Rule
    Who in the hell would want to play football at SDSU? ? ? ? ? ?
    Just from my circle of friends, the type of people who would want to play football at SDSU are all highly successful and motivated people. I have approx 10 friends I remain extremely close too from my football days. Of those people there are

2 doctors
    1 lawyer
    2 brothers who own their own business (and make more money than the docs and lawyers combined)
    1 co-owner of a financial advisory firm
    1 manager of 2 hardware stores in the Sioux Falls area
    1 NFL player (on year 8)
    1 teacher who has since decided to dive into computer programming
    1 owner of a landscaping business

Those are just the guys off the top of my head. Give me a UNO rundown like that. That is if you can find that many who graduated on time or at all. Knock the school all you want for our loss against UWL. There is no excuse for the loss and I will give none. I am more upset over this loss than I can even explain rationally. But, SDSU pumps out quality individuals and that is a fact. UNO would have a hard time making that claim.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
      [quote author=uncbearsfan link=1157318867/0#11 date=1157500971][quote author=Mavs Rule link=1157318867/0#5 date=1157343574]

Does SDSU have much tradition?   Ah no!!   The last half century will back this up.

He's got a point. Your football team doesn't have much tradition.  I think you've made the playoffs just one time and that was in the 1960's????
      [/quote]

Excellent post from a guy who claimed he would not pile on after this loss and also from a school who just recently suffered through a 2 win season after starting their 1AA life with so much promise.  I'd hesitate to pile on if I was from UNC.  You just don't have any ammo.  For a school who can claim a better tradition than SDSU, you'd love to have had our record in the last 2 seasons.
      [/quote]

What the krunk? You really wan to compare our two schools historical traditions in football? I don't think you wanna go there. You say I would love to have your record the past 2 seasons? I say would like to have our record the past 10 seasons. Give me a break. Your pathetic lose to a d3 program will be embedded in the memory of college football fans much more then our past couple seasons.
      We might have lost on Saturday too, but we lost to a conference contendor in Uc-Davs and a top 20 team. Not a top 20 team in D3, a top 20 team in 1AA.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
        [quote author=Mavs Rule link=1157318867/0#5 date=1157343574]Who in the hell would want to play football at SDSU? ? ? ? ? ?
        Just from my circle of friends, the type of people who would want to play football at SDSU are all highly successful and motivated people.  I have approx 10 friends I remain extremely close too from my football days.  Of those people there are

2 doctors
        1 lawyer
        2 brothers who own their own business (and make more money than the docs and lawyers combined)
        1 co-owner of a financial advisory firm
        1 manager of 2 hardware stores in the Sioux Falls area
        1 NFL player (on year 8)
        1 teacher who has since decided to dive into computer programming
        1 owner of a landscaping business

Those are just the guys off the top of my head.  Give me a UNO rundown like that.  That is if you can find that many who graduated on time or at all.  Knock the school all you want for our loss against UWL.  There is no excuse for the loss and I will give none.  I am more upset over this loss than I can even explain rationally.  But, SDSU pumps out quality individuals and that is a fact.  UNO would have a hard time making that claim.[/quote]

Milwaukee,

I don't doubt that some quality people like yourself have come out of the SDSU football program. I was referring to football only. My point is that now that you are going to be recruiting D1 athletes to SDSU to play football ( after Saturday's game I hope you realize that you need a bunch of them.) what is going to attract them to Brookings? You have very little if any football tradition. South Dakota only puts out a couple D1 athletes a year if that. So then you are forced out of state. The city of Brookings offers very little social life/environment that college kids are looking for. It is unlikely that their parents can even come watch them very often. So my questions remains???

As far as football is concerned... Why in the hell would I want to play football at SDSU??

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan

What the krunk?  You really wan to compare our two schools historical traditions in football?  I don't think you wanna go there.  You say I would love to have your record the past 2 seasons?  I say would like to have our record the past 10 seasons.  Give me a break.  Your pathetic lose to a d3 program will be embedded in the memory of college football fans much more then our past couple seasons.  
          We might have lost on Saturday too, but we lost to a conference contendor in Uc-Davs and a top 20 team.  Not a top 20 team in D3, a top 20 team in 1AA.  
          Tradition . . . what tradition are you talking about? :-? You had a few good years under Joe Glenn and a few more as the coaches who came after him lived off of what he built until it was all gone. You finished last both years you were in the Great West, and are picked to finish last in the Big Sky. If I recall correctly you have won a grand total of 2 Great West games in 2 years, and you didn't win any last season.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data...team_index.php

All time football record

SDSU 499 - 409 - 37 = Winning % of .549

UNC 407 - 373 - 74 = Winning % of .521

Face it, it was all Joe and he has been gone so long that you have sunk below your "traditional" place in football. ;D

Go State!

P.S. UNC has yet to beat SDSU in I-AA

Comment

Milwaukee,

I don't doubt that some quality people like yourself have come out of the SDSU football program. I was referring to football only. My point is that now that you are going to be recruiting D1 athletes to SDSU to play football ( after Saturday's game I hope you realize that you need a bunch of them.) what is going to attract them to Brookings? You have very little if any football tradition. South Dakota only puts out a couple D1 athletes a year if that.  So then you are forced out of state. The city of Brookings offers very little social life/environment that college kids are looking for. It is unlikely that their parents can even come watch them very often. So my questions remains???

As far as football is concerned... Why in the hell would I want to play football at SDSU??

Yawn . . . this is the same tired stuff you have been posting since the board came on line in 2003.  Bring something new or don't bother to type.  :

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
              [quote author=uncbearsfan link=1157318867/15#16 date=1157565834]  

What the krunk?  You really wan to compare our two schools historical traditions in football?  I don't think you wanna go there.  You say I would love to have your record the past 2 seasons?  I say would like to have our record the past 10 seasons.  Give me a break.  Your pathetic lose to a d3 program will be embedded in the memory of college football fans much more then our past couple seasons.  
              We might have lost on Saturday too, but we lost to a conference contendor in Uc-Davs and a top 20 team.  Not a top 20 team in D3, a top 20 team in 1AA.  
              Tradition .  .  . what tradition are you talking about? :-?    You had a few good years under Joe Glenn and a few more as the coaches who came after him lived off of what he built until it was all gone.  You finished last both years you were in the Great West, and are picked to finish last in the Big Sky.  If I recall correctly you have won a grand total of 2 Great West games in 2 years, and you didn't win any last season.  

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data...team_index.php

All time football record

Face it, it was all Joe and he has been gone so long that you have sunk below your "traditional" place in football.  ;D

Go State!  

P.S. UNC has yet to beat SDSU in I-AA

[/quote]

9 playoff apperances and back to back national championships and a 2002 deep run in the playoffs are more the a few good years 89Rabbit. You have a whoppin 1 playoff apperance back in the 1970s. WHOOOPIE!!! As for our 1AA record, at least we can say we were ranked in the top 25 one year, our first season.

Comment

Have you told Joe thank you lately?  One good coach is not a tradition.

Go State!  

P.S.  Ya, nice first season, all done with smoke and mirrors.

UNC  72 - New Mexico Highlands 13  (D-II)  W
                UNC 44 -  Western St. (CO) 3  (D-II)  W
                UNC 33 -  Idaho St.  42  (I-AA)  L
                UNC 35 - Minnesota St.-Mankato  7  (D-II)  W
                UNC 14 -  Montana St. 10 (I-AA)  W
                UNC 48 -  Western Washington 17 (D-II)  W
                UNC 19 - Florida Atlantic  21 (I-AA)  L
                UNC  55 -  Adams St. (CO)  14  (D-II)  W
                UNC 29 - Southern Utah  25 (I-AA)  W
                UNC 41 -  Augustana (SD) 0 (D-II)  W
                UNC  35 -  California-Davis 28 (I-AA)  W

Comment

Have you told Joe thank you lately.   One good coach is not a tradition.

Go State!  

P.S.  Ya, nice first season, all done with smoke and mirrors.

UNC  72 - New Mexico Highlands 13  (D-II)  W
                  UNC 44 -  Western St. (CO) 3  (D-II)  W
                  UNC 33 -  Idaho St.  42  (I-AA)  L
                  UNC 35 - Minnesota St.-Mankato  7  (D-II)  W
                  UNC 14 -  Montana St. 10 (I-AA)  L
                  UNC 48 -  Western Washington 17 (D-II)  W
                  UNC 19 - Florida Atlantic  21 (I-AA)  L
                  UNC  55 -  Adams St. (CO)  14  (D-II)  W
                  UNC 29 - Southern Utah  25 (I-AA)  W
                  UNC 41 -  Augustana (SD) 0 (D-II)  L
                  UNC  35 -  California-Davis 28 (I-AA)  W

We had wins against Montana State, SUU and UC Davis, all 1AA. The bottom line is we were ranked at the end of the season.
                  The last time we made the play offs in D2 was in 2002 when went to the Semifinals, when were coached by Kay Dalton.
                  If you don't think we have tradition here in Greeley then what do you call it in Brookings? Are you really telling me you have a richer tradition then us in football? With your one playoff team???

Comment

I call what we have in Brookings, what it is a little better then .500 football.  I call what you had what it was, a great coach who built something moved on and then watched as the program slowly moved below the .500 mark.

All time football record

It is what it is.  Congrats on having Joe Glenn that was a great hire by your AD (whomever it was), but he is long gone and so is your "tradition".  Revel in your D-II Glory Days if you choose to.  However keep in mind that was then and this is now.  The last two seasons you are a combined 6-16 and you lost your opener, so I guess you are 6-17.  We on the other hand are 12-11 (including last weekend’s debacle) nothing to write home about, but you don't see us running our mouths on someone else's board.  

Go State!  

Comment

Well then 89Rabbit, I guess your winning % beats out our playoff apperances and national championships : : Because so many recruits really look at that. : : When we bring in recruits they will see our national championship banners hanging. Do you have winning % banners??
                      Have fun getting over that game against WisonsionD3.

Comment

Why don't you try to have a winning season and get back to us.  :-X  Better yet beat us in I-AA and get back to us.   ;D

I guess your recruits see your championship banners and say man those guys were good in D-II when I was in grade school, I wonder what happened to them.  Oh well it is either UNC or New Mexico Highlands, I guess I will sign.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Go State!  

Comment

Why don't you try to have a winning season and get back to us.  :-X  Better yet beat us in I-AA and get back to us.   ;D

Go State!  

Geesh 89rabbit. If I ever meet you in person, I'll buy you a beer. A Fat Tire, brewed right here in Colorado. I'll promise not to bring up football and our programs.

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
                            Geesh 89rabbit.  If I ever meet you in person, I'll buy you a beer.  A Fat Tire, brewed right here in Colorado.  I'll promise not to bring up football and our programs.
                            I am sure you and I would get along just fine. We probably have many things in common. One is we are passionate about college athletics and our teams and another is we like good beer. I will bring Boulevard Pale Ale brewed here in Kansas City since 1989. If we ever get the chance I would very much like to meet you.

Go State!

Comment

I am currently drinking 2 brews from the famous Moose Nipple brewery. The Imperial Hellfire Ale (excellent amber ale with some kick and a hint of honey) and The A. Belle Brown Ale (lighter beer that is very easy to drink). Both are brewed out of my kitchen (the Moose Nipple brewery headquarters). I invite all to stop by for a sample, although my brother-in-law about drained the Hellfire last weekend.

As for football talk, a couple good seasons do not a tradition make. On a topic 89 could speak to, the KC Royals used to actually win baseball games and even world series games. Would you consider them rich with baseball tradition? That's the point I was attempting to make. I'm not claiming a rich tradition at SDSU, but I am not buying UNC as one with rich tradition, either. For 2 years they had a great program. I played against both teams. For the past 2 years, SDSU has been a much better team and proved it on the field. I'd say the tradition smack is basically moot for both of our schools.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

[You have very little if any football tradition. South Dakota only puts out a couple D1 athletes a year if that.  So then you are forced out of state. The city of Brookings offers very little social life/environment that college kids are looking for.
                                A fan from either UNO or UNC can not make any claim to a great football tradition (neither can SDSU). Until most recruits get a letter from one of our schools, most have never heard of any DII or D1AA school. They know who they see on TV or whatever schools are in the state. UNO was absolute toilet water for years in the late 80's and early 90's so don't try selling me on the great UNO football tradition.

Omaha is hardly a city that invites athletes to partake in it's bountiful nightlife and wonderful opportunities as a college kid. I'd say without one doubt in my mind that SDSU's social life/environment blows away Omaha (and I've sampled both). The thing about Brookings is it is centered around SDSU. All the house parties, bars, jobs, etc. are geared to please the college kids. Omaha cannot make that claim. UNO is a distant afterthought in Omaha and you know that's true. UNL and Creighton dominate that place and it's not even close.

So, your point is then that SDSU lacks tradition. Have to give you that one. But, it's hard to argue that any school in the midwest aside from UMinn, Neb, UWisc or Iowa can say they have a tradition that immediately makes recruits jump. That's been the reality of all DII schools and the vast majority of 1AA schools. We're all trying to pick the best players not going to 1A. So that argument doesn't hold much water. I apologize for my rampant use of cliches. Must be something I ate.

Comment

Working...
                                X