Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scoreboard Omaha

Originally posted by JBNJBQ
    [quote author=filbert link=1159837419/0#4 date=1159838143] I think we'll be fine without Miss Young, although I'm sure if she gets homesick and wants to come back closer to home, she'll be welcomed by AJ and the coaching staff.
    I have to respectfully disagree with this statement, filbert.

I remember all the hoopla about the twins from Mitchell choosing to go to a Texas school. They were supposed to be the hottest b-ball players in the state at the time. SDSU played them twice and both times they were shut down by SDSU guards that were quicker and played better defense. SDSU won both those games.

After two years (most thought it would take only one) they came back to SD to play dII ball at usdII.  AJ doesn't always want the "best player" in the state unless they are really big or really quick. They have to be able to run the court, share the ball and play defense. Everyone is capable of shooting the ball or they wouldn't be playing at the DI level.[/quote]

Just a couple points of clarification:

1.  A DI player transferring to another DI school has to sit out a year. If they transfer to a dII or lesser divsion there is no penalty. That is one of the reasons why usdII has been able to acquire several DI transfers in the last couple of years. One of the advantages of them remaining dII.

2.  I do not believe you can determine a "best player in the state" in a "team" sport. A lot has to do with the overall success if the team, the quality of the rest of the players on the teams, the quality of the opponents and the attention given to the player by the media.

3.  I believe (and it has been demonstrated by A.J.) that Johnston and Mellum look at the players athleticism not their (or their teams) press clippings when deciding who to add to the team.

All the players mentioned are very fine players and outstanding individuals. I wish all of them much success except when they play SDSU. I trust A.J. and Laurie's judgment when it comes to recruiting top quality players. Go Jacks.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs_Rule View Post
      I will translate this article for you. I am tired of living in hickville and want to go to the big city to play my basketball. Looks like the land grant D1 school is having trouble keeping best athletes home. Chalk one up for Omaha.

Big scorer from South Dakota picks CU women

MITCHELL, S.D. (AP) - One of the best girls basketball players in South Dakota history has decided to attend college at Creighton.

Mitchell Christian High School senior Jill Young is fourth on the state's all-time scoring list.

Young said her final choices came down to South Dakota State and Creighton.

"It was a pretty tough decision," Young told the Daily Republic. "I have a lot of respect for South Dakota State and Aaron Johnston. I wanted to be close to home and both schools were. I just kind of knew Creighton was the place I wanted to go. I felt comfortable with the coaching staff, and I felt it was the best fit for me."

The Mitchell Christian athlete averaged 31 points a game and scored 765 points this past season to break the all-time single season state record of 760 points. Mitchell Christian won the Class B state championship.

Young also set the state record for 3-pointers in a season with 105. She already owns the state career record for 3-pointers with 386.
      Did you get your degree in translation at uno?
      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs_Rule View Post

Big scorer from South Dakota picks CU women
        MITCHELL, S.D. (AP) - One of the best girls basketball players in South Dakota history has decided to attend college at Creighton.
        NEWS FLASH for the all-seeing, all-knowing high schooler...Jill Young has decided to leave Creighton for a very special school: South Dakota State University. Of course, the UNO Mavs were never in the game...and neither was MavsRule.

Comment

Credit Miss Young for having the courage to change her mind and come to SDSU, where she belongs. She will be a great addition to the Jackrabbit team (which I hope plays Creighton one of these years). Welcome home, Jill.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Umm.....are there any MavBots left to notice this? Or, are they causing trouble on the D-II and MIAA boards (where they belong)?

Comment

Perhaps they're still trying to log on with the old site! There's that UNO education for ya!
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
              X