Hey USD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hey USD!

When we first transitioned, we were desperate to get any home game possible as we had to accept a two-for-one (Montana) and some away guarantee games (Southern, Montana State). We had to settle for whomever would agree to come here (UW-LC, Valpo, Mo-Rolla, Augie, William Penn, etc.). Now that the transition is almost over, we are getting mostly home-and-home series with good D-1AA schools.

Some schedule contracts, particularly conference schedules and games with certain opponents (Delaware) are often made years in advance. But, many ADs have to scramble to fill the schedule. E-mail USD's AD and ask if he has a full schedule for the next two seasons. He'll likely have one or two slots left for next year and a bunch for 2008 since the NCC's future is up in the air. SDSU still had one slot left to fill for next year at the start of this season (it is now filled, but has not been announced yet). Even if schedules are done in advance, your AD should know what schools are more likely to be competitive. For example, USD(d-2) should be scheduling teams that are at or near the d-2 max of 36 FB schollies. Crookston is probably lucky to be at 12.

Comment

You are right Stormn. It is a no-win situation.

That's why it was actually very big of SDSU to even offer to keep the rivalry around.

SDSU's schedule does have two holes in it. As someone said though, without those 2 games, they have 2 home games this year. In early years you will have to play down a division or two(whatever you can get) to get home games. Otherwise, you play EVERYWHERE...

I think their duanting road schedule makes up for it though this year.

I don't expect to see this in SDSU's schedule after this year.

Comment

[quote author=NightHawk78 link=1160276853/75#75 date=1161747054](it is now filled, but has not been announced yet). quote]

Secrets don't make friends. Is there a reason we will be up to 63 schollies next year? A I-A opponet?
        Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

I don't think it's any secret... we're playing Iowa State in 2008, and we need to average 57 scholies over 2 years for the game to count for ISU.

53+63=116

116/2=58 scholarships over a 2-year stretch.
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I wasn't told what team it was, except that it's an away game (as part of a home-and-home) against a Gateway opponent.

Comment

They whole point of this post was to compare our teams after Cent. Ark.

I have heard nothing for two years, but how good USD is, and how mediocre State is,
              and that if they played each other, the U would handle the Rabbits.

This reached a creshendo amoung my Coyote friends when State lost to LaCrosse.

However, when we beat the team, that had beaten them the week before, in dominating fashion...I had to post this.

I just wanted, once, one person, on Yote fan, to say, "You guys are better than I thought" or "I take it back, we're not better than you."

I should have known better. All we got is the typical, "We're better at home" stuff. No one is going to give an inch in this blood feud. It's my fault for expecting that.

Yotefan is right when he says his opinion was wanted, it was. And I also appreciate his opinions and thoughts on the board. I honestly, don't mind USD like I used too. I've said this in other posts, I've had friends go to school there, lots of cousins, and several students of mine.

However, I do get rankled when USD fans claim their superiority over our programs, when it is obviously nowhere close to the truth.
              But, that is my fault, I should just laugh it off.

Best of luck to the U the rest of the year. I have no interest in rooting against you...we don't play you, and you are a division lower than us(at least for now). Go win it all.

Comment

A couple of things to add.

USD and SDSU cannot be accurately compared with their games against UCA. USD played down in Arkansas in their backyard and UCA played up in Brookings. You can look at that as an excuse but it absolutely has relevance. If you ignore that I think it's being a little short sighted.

SDSU also played UCA during an upward trend for their season. If they would have played UCA in the first couple of weeks it might have made a difference. If USD played UCA this week it might have made a difference. Our offense is much improved since we settled on a quarterback.

As SDSU fans if you are just going to pick and choose when comparing teams than of course you are going to point out every USD weakness and every SDSU strength.

There are factors to consider but it is apparent that both USD and SDSU are good teams. SDSU has been playing some good football. USD has been playing some good football and for a fan of either school to think there is no way the other could win in a head to head matchup hasn't really been playing attention to college football this year.

Both teams have displayed that they can be very good and both teams have displayed that they can be beaten.
                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Coyote-Fan,
                  Post on the USD board. We don't care about USD2. USD2 SUCKS.

Comment

Coyote_Fan, I think that every SDSU fan is acutely aware of the "on any given Saturday" concept after this season. If SDSU and USD(d-2) were to play 10 simulated games, SDSU would likely win eight or nine of them; USD(d-2) would pull away with one or two. I think that would be the average when pitting a good D-2 school against a solid I-AA school. USD(d-2) had its chance to schedule SDSU, but chose not to do so and now its window of opportunity (even if it moves to D-1) to schedule SDSU may be closing as SDSU may join the Gateway Conference and have a limited opportunity for non-conference games. Jackrabbit fans may prefer that SDSU plays Cal-Poly and UC-Davis on a regular basis (despite the cost of air travel) as opposed to a D-1 USD.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                      Coyote-Fan,
                      Post on the USD board. We don't care about USD2. USD2 SUCKS.
                      Relax, 1bunnies, breathe . . .

It's kind of silly to have a thread titled "Hey USD" and then tell those few unfortunate misguided coyotes who wander this way to buzz off.

There wouldn't be much smack right now but for the southern mangy canines.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

There is something unique about Coyote Fan. I have been banging heads with him since he first appeared on D2football.com maybe 6 or 7 years ago. I have no idea who he is but he appears to be one who will die for his alma mater. I often wonder if he has a front yard flag pole. If he does the USD flag goes up first and then Old Glory each morning.

He knows he is going to get crap on this board, but will argue to the end for USD. Let him have his say. We need some exchange. I do agree with one point he makes and that is whether its USD or SDSU, coaches are responsible for their programs and winning games. If you are wondering, he was not a big fan of John Austin. If Ed Meirkort slips, Coyote Fan has told his fellow fans, that he needs to be held accountable.

If we drop the Hobo game, which I dont think we will, Coyote Fan will be here and posting.

HEY USD!!!!! Thats what this thread is about.

Comment

Contrary to what Coyote_Fan seems to be saying about the dome, I'd say the best chance for USD to beat SDSU would actually be at Coughlin. LaCrosse won in great part because the field conditions relagated any speed advantage SDSU had as null. SDSU would have a speed and size advantage over USD. That advantage would be magnified on the fake turf. I know because it happened everytime we played at USD. So, I'm not sure the "we played at Arkansas and you played at home" argument has that much weight. Before you cite USD's current home streak, consider the competition for most of those wins. As I said, the UNO win last year was extremely impressive. I even watched it on the 'puter. But, that win was a result of USD having greater team speed than UNO and that speed being magnified by the turf. SDSU would have their superior team speed magnified by your turf.

I think if USD and SDSU played 10 games, the series would go something like 7-3/8-2 in favor of SDSU. In other words, a little better for USD than the results of the past 25 years. I don't think that's me being a homer. I think that's a realistic guess based on each team's abilities. USD's offense is a shell of the last 2 years. Last year's offense was probably the best in D2.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
                            USD and SDSU cannot be accurately compared with their games against UCA. USD played down in Arkansas in their backyard and UCA played up in Brookings. You can look at that as an excuse but it absolutely has relevance. If you ignore that I think it's being a little short sighted.
                            Still, there's NO WAY that makes up 37 points. If home field is worth 7-10 points, you can have 10, we'll give up 10. Now you have 17 points to figure out an excuse for.
                            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

I've never been a big fan of the we did this against them and you did that.  Largely because if the tides were turned we be crying the same thing that Coyote fan is and he would be here poking his finger at us much the way we are at him.  By this belief both UW Lacrosse and Chadron State are among the top 25 in our division and nobody really believes that is true (unless you are from Lacrosse or Chadron).  

I personally do not care much about ever playing USD again. But I do watch and see how they do.  I don't root for or against them anymore.

Comment

Sorry I blew up. I just don't care for USD2. I could care less if we ever play them again. I think they should use their grainbin to store corn for the new ethanol plant at Meckling. I'm sure it would work better for corn than any football team they produce down there.

Comment

Working...
                                X