Hey USD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hey USD!

There is a letter to the editor in the Argus today about USD staying Division II. He makes a great point about how USD has been recruiting top DII talent because SDSU and NDSU haven't been competing for DII recruits like they used to.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...610240324/1053

Comment

A letter written by the grandson of a USD alum.

Comment

Intramural Sportsfan,

Compared to USD, SDSU was definitely in the upper tier of the soon to be gone NCC. The NCC used to be the Northc Central Conference and now is more like the No Competition Conference.

Comment

This was in the Argus on Saturday:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...0312/-1/VOICES

The pro-D-1 op-ed is extremely optimistic about the Foundation's ability to raise cash and the ease of finding a conference home. He, however, is acutely aware of the evolution of the NCAA and fall of the NCC. The con-D-1 op-ed is focused more on ensuring academic quality and ignored Abbott's own comments to boost USD's enrollment. It is more idealistic and ignores the reality that USD faces as it becomes increasingly dis-similar to D-2. I wish that this writer had suggested that USD should consider going to D-3 and eliminating all athletic scholarships.

Back to Fargen's letter:
          All that he can hope for is for the state Legislature to help bail them out or start cutting sports like they did two years ago.
          Well, USD can't cut any more sports since they're essentially at the minimum. As for asking for state money, good luck. Perhaps the gubernatorial and legislative candidates should be asked about their opinion on a USD request for state money. If it was widespread, it could cause an uproar and make USD wait a few more months to make a decision (or drop plans all togther). (Would the Dec. 31 deadline to withdraw from the NCC really apply if UND, UNO, and Augie all withdrew and there wouldn't be a functioning conference left?)

I still am convinced that USD will go D-1 because D-2 is not a very realistic option for a school of USD's "size and ambition." I feel that they will struggle more than SDSU because of their smaller alumni base and community. Some alums will step up for the U, but not as many as anticipated. Unless Sanford makes a mega-donation, USD's D-1 campaign will likely end up in the hands of the state legislature around 2009 or 2010......

Comment

I think the fact that gets overlooked when discussing the USD D-1 move is their conference affiliation. SDSU went in without a sure thing, but we had a gut feeling that the Big Sky would come knocking. That gut feeling was wrong and we got extremely lucky with the Mid Con situation, but I would say USD can't even claim to have a gut feeling. If the best argument you can make as a USD supporter is that the Mid Con should add 2 new schools for possible stability, then that's even a bigger leap than SDSU took. The Big Sky was obviously going to add someone. We were banking on it being us and NDSU. USD can't even get that far. SDSU's conference search was a huge prodding point for anti-SDSU fans until we joined the Mid Con. USD will have it much worse.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I don't buy into the "SDSU got lucky" argument with the Mid-Con.  The Mid-Con, along with the Big Sky, Horizon League, and to a lesser extent Missouri Valley were all talked about as potential homes from the Jackrabbits from the start.  Heck the Carr report measures us against the Big Sky and Mid-Con.

It was fortunate from a timing stand point that Chicago State left the Mid-Con (got asked to leave, behind closed doors from what I hear) and Valpo got an invite from the Horizon League, but I wouldn't call it lucky, we worked hard from the start to be in the right place at the right time. So in a sense we made our own luck, but we were not “lucky” in my estimation.  

Sorry MJA don't mean to pick on you, and I understand your point, however I have just heard too many USD fans talking about how we got "lucky" and I am not a big fan of revisionist history.

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                Intramural Sportsfan,

Compared to USD, SDSU was definitely in the upper tier of the soon to be gone NCC. The NCC used to be the Northc Central Conference and now is more like the No Competition Conference.

Hard to say they are the No Competition Conference when they have 3 teams in the top 25 and 5 teams in the top 10 regional rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by StormnNorman
                  [quote author=1bunnies link=1160276853/60#62 date=1161723216]Intramural Sportsfan,

Hard to say they are the No Competition Conference when they have 3 teams in the top 25 and 5 teams in the top 10 regional rankings.[/quote]

5 teams in the top 10 regional rankings, i guess when youre competing against upper iowa, mary and minnesota/crookston and all the other NSIC teams that all USD fans says sucks, it shouldnt be tough to be one of those 5 teams.

Comment

USD isn't the only team from the NCC to be ranked.

If you guys want to get picky with schedules, then what about State's? USD only played down a division 1 time, a NAIA school (down 2 divisions from USD). State plays a NAIA school (down 3 divisions from State) and a non-scholarship DIII school (down 2 divisions).

I don't like playing these schedule games, but I gotta protect my boys!

BTW...your coach has a lot of balls to go for 2. He got my respect!

Comment

Come on you don't really want to talk about schedules now do you?  SDSU has beat three teams ranked in the Top 25 of our Division in the last three weeks.  We will play another this Saturday.  Oh, did I mention that our 2nd and 3rd games were against school rated in the Top 10 of I-AA.

So lets recap.  SDSU has played 5 teams ranked in the Top 25 of I-AA Nationally and will play another one Saturday (and unless the wheels come off the NDSU wagon we will play another for 7 Top 25 teams in this season).  How many D-II Top 25 teams has USD played this season?  Since 2000? :

Go State!  

Comment

All I'm saying is that State's schedule isn't so much better than USD's. Yes it's better, but your schedule has it's flaws too.

Comment

Stormn...you are going to lose this battle.  Good luck to the Yotes though for the rest of the season.  Represent SD well in the Div II battles.
                          As far as our schedule having flaws...wait until you jump (if you jump) to see how tough to get games will be. Get your plane tickets ready because your going to see alot of the US.

Comment

I feel like a raccoon trap in the corner. I'm not trying to diss the Jacks schedule, just trying to put a different twist on things. :'(

Comment

USD(d-2) gets flack on this board for its schedule for a few reasons:

1) They refused an offer to play at SDSU (which included a return game at Howard Wood!) and traveled to Upper Iowa instead.
                              2) With a couple exceptions, USD(d-2)'s non-conference FB schedule has consisted solely of NSIC bottom-feeders and an assortment of D-2/NAIA pasties.
                              3) They're USD(d-2) and they play in the DakotaDumpTM.

Many schools have at least one "pasty" on its schedule, regardless of affliation, as a "tune-up" or "breather" game. SDSU had to schedule William Penn this fall because of UNC leaving for the BS Conference and we took whatever home game we could get. If you would look at SDSU's schedule for next year (http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1158777639), however, you won't see any pasties on the list. USD(d-2) complained loud and clear about how it was robbed of a playoff berth, but made little attempt to produce a more challenging schedule.

Comment

Remember, though, schedule contracts are made a few years in advance. I do agree that USD does need to improve their out of conference schedule. It got to a point a couple years ago that it was laughable.

I don't understand though why State would want to play USD in football. If State wins, everybody says they should win because they are in a higher class. No big deal if they do. If State losses though, it makes them look extremely bad. There is no 'win' situation for them.

Comment

Working...
                                X