Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I should call my friend tonight.

Originally posted by juice
    [quote author=jackmd link=1173301572/15#26 date=1173554637]There is a HUGE misperception in this region about DII football and its importance outside of our region.  Comments like juice made about the national opinion regarding DII and DI FCS are ludicrous but widely shared in our region.  Its ignorant/naive and with education people are beginning to understand.  
    Now, UND can be UNI once in awhile, just like SDSU could beat the U of M once in awhile.  That doesn't make us equal.
    I never said DII football did have a lot of importance outside of our region, except maybe by the teams that play it.  What I was saying was that FCS doesn't get much more notoriety than DII.  [/quote]

That is where you are wrong and what the good doctor is talking about.  FCS gets far more notoriety then D-II and is known beyond the regions they occupy.  Many FCS conferences have TV deals (including our new home the Gateway) for regular season games.  Do any D-II conferences?  FCS schools are also D-I so fans beyond their regions know them for other sports as well (March Madness comes to mind).  If you were in Georgia do you think more casual fans would know about Southern Illinois or USD?  

A story comes to mind.  A certain sports talk duo from Sioux Falls were making fun of the fact that Kennesaw State was moving up to D-I.  Trying to make a point that "no one" (meaning them) had ever heard of Kennesaw State and trying to draw parallels between Kennesaw State's move and SDSU's move.  Unfortunately they only served to make our point, which is that no one cares about D-II.  Kennesaw State had just won a NCAA D-II Men's Basketball National Championship and the only thing they thought of when they read the news was a historical reference to Kenesaw Mountain Landis MLB’s First Commissioner.  That is right, the "champions of D-II" of the Sioux Falls airwaves had not heard of the recent champion of the Division that they seemed to think was so wonderful.  When you get out of the Northern Plains very few, if anyone, cares about D-II at all.  Not even the regional D-II teams in their area.

It is night and day here in Kansas City.  In the old days when someone asked me what school I went to and I told them South Dakota State I invariably got "never heard of it" and when I went on to explain that we had over 10,000 students they inevitably  said "wow, I had no idea"  they always thought it was some Podunk 1,800 student school because they had no knowledge of us.  Now when I say I went to South Dakota State, they say "which conference are you in?” they have heard of us and assume we are what we are a Land Grant Flagship University.

If or when our current students go looking for jobs outside of the region they will be glad that people have heard of their university.  It is just another benefit to being D-I.

Be glad that USD will be joining the brotherhood of the known.

Go State!  

Comment

Another reason FCS teams carry more recognition across the country is because most FBS teams play an FCS team every year, then monitor the performance of that team through the season. Each Sunday, for example, the Lincoln Journal Star (I believe the Omaha World-Herald does, too) runs a schedule tracker on how each team on the Huskers' schedule did that weekend. And it's not just in the fine print on the last page of the Sports section. It usually runs across the bottom of a two-page spread in full color with logos. (I liked seeing our win over Nicholls State reported there last year.)
      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

89 Rabbit:

That was really really well said. As a student at SDSU I've thought about that but not in that great of detail. I really liked the quote about the importance of people hearing about our school to find jobs in the future. Thanks.

Comment

[.[/quote]

FCS schools are also D-I so fans beyond their regions know them for other sports as well (March Madness comes to mind).  If you were in Georgia do you think more casual fans would know about Southern Illinois or USD?  

[/quote]

Why do you think fans in Georgia would know Southern Illinois? Because just what I was saying--their basketball team. That's why I say SDSU will make their name through their basketball teams. I certainly don't know Southern Illinois for any other reason. I'm assuming that by what you said Southern Illinois must have a IAA football team, if they do, that's not why they are known. Unless you have a team in FCS you don't pay attention to FCS, period.

Comment

Originally posted by juice
            [.
             FCS schools are also D-I so fans beyond their regions know them for other sports as well (March Madness comes to mind).  If you were in Georgia do you think more casual fans would know about Southern Illinois or USD?  

[/quote]

Why do you think fans in Georgia would know Southern Illinois?  Because just what I was saying--their basketball team.  That's why I say SDSU will make their name through their basketball teams.  I certainly don't know Southern Illinois for any other reason. I'm assuming that by what you said Southern Illinois must have a IAA football team, if they do, that's not why they are known.  Unless you have a team in FCS you don't pay attention to FCS, period.  
            [/quote]
            That's probably because you are an ignorant _ _ _ _ who probably only pays attention to teams in the upper midwest and not the whole country...Sad Sad little Coyote.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
              [quote author=juice link=1173301572/15#27 date=1173594869][quote author=jackmd link=1173301572/15#26 date=1173554637]There is a HUGE misperception in this region about DII football and its importance outside of our region.  Comments like juice made about the national opinion regarding DII and DI FCS are ludicrous but widely shared in our region.  Its ignorant/naive and with education people are beginning to understand.  
              Now, UND can be UNI once in awhile, just like SDSU could beat the U of M once in awhile.  That doesn't make us equal.
              I never said DII football did have a lot of importance outside of our region, except maybe by the teams that play it.  What I was saying was that FCS doesn't get much more notoriety than DII.  [/quote]

That is where you are wrong and what the good doctor is talking about.  FCS gets far more notoriety then D-II and is known beyond the regions they occupy.  Many FCS conferences have TV deals (including our new home the Gateway) for regular season games.  Do any D-II conferences?  FCS schools are also D-I so fans beyond their regions know them for other sports as well (March Madness comes to mind).  If you were in Georgia do you think more casual fans would know about Southern Illinois or USD?  

A story comes to mind.  A certain sports talk duo from Sioux Falls were making fun of the fact that Kennesaw State was moving up to D-I.  Trying to make a point that "no one" (meaning them) had ever heard of Kennesaw State and trying to draw parallels between Kennesaw State's move and SDSU's move.  Unfortunately they only served to make our point, which is that no one cares about D-II.  Kennesaw State had just won a NCAA D-II Men's Basketball National Championship and the only thing they thought of when they read the news was a historical reference to Kenesaw Mountain Landis MLB’s First Commissioner.  That is right, the "champions of D-II" of the Sioux Falls airwaves had not heard of the recent champion of the Division that they seemed to think was so wonderful.  When you get out of the Northern Plains very few, if anyone, cares about D-II at all.  Not even the regional D-II teams in their area.

It is night and day here in Kansas City.  In the old days when someone asked me what school I went to and I told them South Dakota State I invariably got "never heard of it" and when I went on to explain that we had over 10,000 students they inevitably  said "wow, I had no idea"  they always thought it was some Podunk 1,800 student school because they had no knowledge of us.  Now when I say I went to South Dakota State, they say "which conference are you in?” they have heard of us and assume we are what we are a Land Grant Flagship University.

If or when our current students go looking for jobs outside of the region they will be glad that people have heard of their university.  It is just another benefit to being D-I.

Be glad that USD will be joining the brotherhood of the known.

Go State!  [/quote]

Ditto. In total agreement.

Good luck to your Ladies in the NIT, speaking of national pub.

Comment

Thanks Yote53 for your good luck comments. USD will be the better for moving to D-l...IF the university finally figures out its mission is not to... Hate State...but to Love USD and try to assist their university to concentrate on figuring out its identity and working to improve and expand it. Yes, athletics has also brought out the "Screw the U" saying in retaliation, but I can assure you that SDSU's goal is to be the best it can be and is aggressively pursuing that on all fronts.

Comment

Working...
                X