Kingsbury County towns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kingsbury County towns

A lot of people completely forget about Hetland on their way from Arlington to Lake Preston or on their way from Lake Norden to Spring Lake (not a town).
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      No votes for Lake Preston? Always seemed a nice enough town on the way to Brookings.
      Have you ever had coffee there? (GAG)

Although my grandfather and uncle drilled MANY of the wells into the Dakota Aquifer, I am so happy for the residents of Kingsbury that have access to the KingBrook RWS, and the much higher quality Big Sioux Aquifer water.

Erwin is and will be root home and final destination for this RabidRabbit.

Comment

I wonder how many of us that have posted on this topic ever played and were on teams in the old Lake Central Conference? I know I was, how about the rest of you, we probably met on the mat, court, track or gridiron etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          A lot of people completely forget about Hetland on their way from Arlington to Lake Preston or on their way from Lake Norden to Spring Lake (not a town).
          Hetland had high school until 1949. My oldest brother and older siblings went to a non Kingsbury county high school in Sinai. My brother remembers the Hetland gym very well as it got some times very competitive and nasty.

Here is a link to their website thats been up since their last celebration. Also the famous Norwegian Joke Teller Red Stangland grew up in Hetland.

http://www.savehetlandschool.org/

Comment

The LCC is still around I believe. I think it consists of Flandreau, Howard, Sioux Valley, Deuel, Hamlin, Clark-Willow Lake, Castlewood and DeSmet.

Comment

Flandreau is also in its first year of the Big East Conference with Baltic, Chester, Howard, McCook Central, Sioux Valley, Garretson, etc.

Tea moved out of the BEC and is now in the Big Sioux Conference (will they have to change THAT name soon?) with Canton, Dell Rapids, Tri-Valley, EP-J, Dakota Valley, and Beresford, etc.

Harrisburg is now solidly in the Big 8 Conference with Madison, West Central, Vermillion, and Lennox.
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

The Lake Preston-Hetland combo puts the Divers on top of any list of Kingsbury County towns (no bias here...ha!). When Hetland closed their high school, they came to Lake Preston High...naturally. Onward Lake Preston, to victory soar...

Comment

It was just a matter of time before "you know who" chimed in about Lake Preston!

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                    I wonder how many of us that have posted on this topic ever played and were on teams in the old Lake Central Conference? I know I was, how about the rest of you, we probably met on the mat, court, track or gridiron etc.
                    I won the LCC Cross Country meet at Howard in 1995.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                      Atta Boy, Evo I was all conf. LCC in FB in the dark ages of 1973 and 1974.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                        I was a member of the 1996 LCC Boys Track Championship Team!

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          I was a member of the 1996 LCC Boys Track Championship Team!
                          Touche. Events? I was Arlington's distance guy.

Comment

LCC at Hamlin from 1989-1991. Best atmosphere for BB in Kingsbury was DeSmet at that time. We didn't lose many BB games but I don't think we won the LCC (DeSmet or Howard), we did win back-to-back 11B football state championships, however, I don't believe the LCC had a football conference at that time with the class changes.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I know Arlington used to belong to both the LCC and EDC about the time I started middle school. By the time I was a freshmen (1992), Arlington didn't have a football conference and we ended up playing a brutal schedule (played away at Hitchcock-Tulare and got stomped) and we went 0-8. After that I made the switch to cross country.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                LCC at Hamlin from 1989-1991. Best atmosphere for BB in Kingsbury was DeSmet at that time. We didn't lose many BB games but I don't think we won the LCC (DeSmet or Howard), we did win back-to-back 11B football state championships, however, I don't believe the LCC had a football conference at that time with the class changes.
                                Did you see that Hamlin is dropping down to 9-man football this year?
                                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                                X