Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Stu Strikes Again!

Originally posted by 90Jackrabbit View Post
    FYI, Stu made his weekly appearance on KWSN with Craig and John and described the SDSU quaterback situation as a mess. I don't know how you can call four capable athletes competing for the job of Ryan Berry's replacement a mess but Stu did. Craig also informed us that in his opinnion any football team that doesn't have a clear cut candidate for quaterback going into the season has little chances of winning. I feel sorry for people who rely on Stu and Craig for their sports infromation. According to these two guys you would think the football program at SDSU was in shambles.
    Opinions are like noses, everyone has one. Substitute any piece of anatomy here.

Comment

the part about not having a clearcut qb I can somewhat understand.... In general when there isn't even a favorite going into camp that does spell problems but what sources or knowledge of the situation does Stu have to say its a mess? I doubt anybody on the staff or team talks to Stu, I doubt he has any sources in Brookings, the only person that could give him an opinion would be Terry and I doubt he is going to tell Stu that its a mess....

The question I'd propose is when SDSU has 4 quarterbacks that are better then any QB on NDSU or USD's roster how is that a problem?

Comment

:snort:

Like how Ryan Berry had to compete for the starting spot two years ago?

Dear Stu,

College starters graduate. They are replaced through open competition.

Yours Truly,

Captain Obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          the part about not having a clearcut qb I can somewhat understand.... In general when there isn't even a favorite going into camp that does spell problems but what sources or knowledge of the situation does Stu have to say its a mess? I doubt anybody on the staff or team talks to Stu, I doubt he has any sources in Brookings, the only person that could give him an opinion would be Terry and I doubt he is going to tell Stu that its a mess....

The question I'd propose is when SDSU has 4 quarterbacks that are better then any QB on NDSU or USD's roster how is that a problem?
          I would agree with you on not trading any of our quarterbacks for NDSU's, but I would take USD's starting Quarterback Noah Shepard as he is very solid senior.

Comment

I think JackguyII is correct about USD's Shepherd. He's a quality quarterback.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              I would agree with you on not trading any of our quarterbacks for NDSU's, but I would take USD's starting Quarterback Noah Shepard as he is very solid senior.
              Shepard is a great athlete who can run and throw the ball very well. This is his 4th year as the starter. Some of the USD fans I've spoken with have a little concern about his decision making at clutch time but that comes with experience IMHO. They have the potential for some big offensive numbers in the dome the year.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I agree with this. USD has a QB, NG and a couple other players that would start at SDSU. Probably an offensive lineman or 2.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  I'm a little annoyed after watching the SportsWeb yesterday. Stu and Mike spent a good bit of time bashing CAS. Sure, it doesn't look like a great stadium (like Augie's teensy stadium, which they apparently think is the greatest thing ever), but I know very few SDSU fans who don't love watching football at CAS.

I guess it doesn't matter what the fans think, only what sportswriters think, but personally, I really love watching games at CAS. Those five or six Saturdays each year are probably my favorite weekends of the entire year. Maybe if those guys ever... EVER talked to fans, they'd realize that CAS may not be perfect, but it's a great place to watch a game.
                  I don't think they were too far off line. But you have to consider the facts. Before last year, SDSU had a much better stadium than Augie. Now, Augie has a new stadium. If that stadium isn't better than a stadium that 10-20 years old, they screwed up. CAS is a lot older than that. There is a big difference in size, too. SDSU just can't go out and blow $30 million to build from scratch. Their project is much bigger than Augie's. Howard Wood wasn't much of a football facility but SDSU is DI which means they get more crap when Augie finally gets ahead of them.
                  There isn't a bad seat in CAS but it's not as new/fancy as Augie's stadium.

Mike- I like a lot of your work. I wish Terry would interview the incoming recruits. It gives the fans some insite of their future players during the slow summer months. Terry does a great job but this something that's cool(to me).

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                    I don't think they were too far off line. But you have to consider the facts. Before last year, SDSU had a much better stadium than Augie. Now, Augie has a new stadium. If that stadium isn't better than a stadium that 10-20 years old, they screwed up. CAS is a lot older than that. There is a big difference in size, too. SDSU just can't go out and blow $30 million to build from scratch. Their project is much bigger than Augie's. Howard Wood wasn't much of a football facility but SDSU is DI which means they get more crap when Augie finally gets ahead of them.
                    There isn't a bad seat in CAS but it's not as new/fancy as Augie's stadium.

Mike- I like a lot of your work. I wish Terry would interview the incoming recruits. It gives the fans some insite of their future players during the slow summer months. Terry does a great job but this something that's cool(to me).
                    Yeah, later on in the thread, I explained more clearly what I was saying.

Here: http://www.sdsufans.com/board/showpo...&postcount=402
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      Shepard is a great athlete who can run and throw the ball very well. This is his 4th year as the starter. Some of the USD fans I've spoken with have a little concern about his decision making at clutch time but that comes with experience IMHO. They have the potential for some big offensive numbers in the dome the year.
                      Pretty clear by the high rating and his very slow 40 time that the NFL does not put a premium on speed in their QB's. Looks more like a lineman's time.

Name: Noah Shepard
                      College:
                      South DakotaNumber: 16
                      Height: 6-2 Weight: 226
                      Position: QBPos2:
                      Class/Draft Year:
                      rSr/2010
                      40 Time: 4.92
                      Projected Round: Stock:
                      Rated number 20 out of 135 QB's 337 / 2608

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                        Pretty clear by the high rating and his very slow 40 time that the NFL does not put a premium on speed in their QB's. Looks more like a lineman's time.

Name: Noah Shepard
                        College:
                        South DakotaNumber: 16
                        Height: 6-2 Weight: 226
                        Position: QBPos2:
                        Class/Draft Year:
                        rSr/2010
                        40 Time: 4.92
                        Projected Round: Stock:
                        Rated number 20 out of 135 QB's 337 / 2608
                        Let me rephrase things a bit. At the DII level and during the transition last year he performed pretty well at the QB position. It will be interesting to see how he does against a predominately DI schedule. I understand that he is a good young man and that he loves to compete.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm honestly puzzled as to why quality depth at the quarterback position is a bad thing. Now, if the coaches don't pick one guy at the end of camp and say "you're the starter until and unless you play yourself out of the position," THEN I have a problem--but that's a disagreement with coaching and overall personnel management philosophy, not a judgment on the quality of the guys we have in camp.

I have no idea what the relative skills of USD's guy are compared to any of the SDSU guys, but I really like what I'm hearing coming out of camp for the Rabbits at the QB position, and don't feel threatened in any way if USD has a really, really good quarterback. If he's 'all that,' then more power to him and to the Yotes.

(And no, I don't think the named starter should get yanked after one bad quarter, or even one bad game--again, it's a personnel managment thing--balancing the needs of the team against the building of the QB's--ALL of the QB's confidence levels, both in themselves and in their coaches.)
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Exactly what I was thinking. The higher the level the faster everything moves. We shall see.

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            Let me rephrase things a bit. At the DII level and during the transition last year he performed pretty well at the QB position. It will be interesting to see how he does against a predominately DI schedule. I understand that he is a good young man and that he loves to compete.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                              Exactly what I was thinking. The higher the level the faster everything moves. We shall see.
                              I'm not here to prop up Noah Shepard and the Yotes, but the facts are the facts. Stats against UNI. 22-31 and 1 interception and 90 yards rushing is a pretty fair day against a top FCS team.

Comment

I'm not here to prop up Noah Shepard and the Yotes, but the facts are the facts. Stats against UNI. 22-31 and 1 interception and 90 yards rushing is a pretty fair day against a top FCS team.
                                maybe I shouldn't of trashed Shepard the only game I watched him play was against UND which nobody played good for either team....

Comment

Working...
                                X