Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Stu Strikes Again!

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
    controversy sells more than being straight and narrow and politically correct. The Argus is about selling papers not appeasing certain people that don't like the way something is written. It's more likely that you will read Stu's column if you know there is something that will irk you at least as much as you will read it just because you might like something about it. You can deny it all ya want but it's true.
    I think Coyote Fan makes a point that has some validity. Controversy sells -- I am uncertain about the extent it sells but certainly there must be some audience attracted to controversy. Many readers, like Goon, me and others, tune out somebody like Stu but others may read him because he picks at subjects (Stu probably says he is thought-provoking).

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
      controversy sells more than being straight and narrow and politically correct. The Argus is about selling papers not appeasing certain people that don't like the way something is written. It's more likely that you will read Stu's column if you know there is something that will irk you at least as much as you will read it just because you might like something about it. You can deny it all ya want but it's true.
      If it bleeds it reads

Comment

Controversy is one thing but some of the ways he does things is what bothers me.... A lot of the things he writes is pretty decent but if you know the insides of some of the stories you would think different about the controversy....

Controversy is one thing but don't make high school athletes look like idiots while trying to make it...

Comment

In regards to Stu's column here is a part of Mechelle Voepel's try at it.

Second-round highlights

AP Photo/Ed ReinkeSome fans thought Kim Mulkey's outfit in the 2005 NCAA title game was reminiscent of La. Tech's blue. Imagine what they'd say about faux snakeskin pants.

Kansas State vs. Maryland: Wildcat guard Shalee Lehning's octuple-double (12 points, 15 rebounds, 13 assists, 11 steals, 10 charges drawn, 14 floor burns, 78 hand claps, 16 autographs signed during game) is not enough to stop the Terps, who get "just" a triple-double from Kristi Toliver.
          Ohio State vs. Florida: The Buckeyes make it out of the second round, resulting in coach Jim Foster tearing his ACL after attempting a series of cartwheels.
          Wisconsin vs. Tennessee: In an effort to distract coach Pat Summitt, Bucky Badger dresses instead like a raccoon. Summitt again dislocates her shoulder while taking a swing at him. Candace Parker comes out of the stands to help Summitt pop her shoulder back in, and the Orange Crush cruise to their 28th consecutive Sweet 16.
          Duke vs. South Dakota State: Ignoring the Michigan State fans waving signed contracts and dressed as airport police officers, Duke coach Joanne P. McCallie blows kisses to the crowd at East Lansing, Mich., before and after the Blue Devils' victory.

Comment

From Graham Hayes column in ESPN:

Is this really the rise of the middle class?

The good news for fans eager to see some new names moving forward in the bracket? Seventh-seeded South Dakota State is a first-round favorite, and 9-seed Marist, 10-seed Gonzaga and 11-seeds Montana and Wisconsin-Green Bay all have legitimate rights to keep their hotel reservations for the entire first weekend of the tournament.
            The bad news is that it might actually be less likely for those teams find a way into the Sweet 16. Given the top-heavy nature of women's college basketball, the odds of getting through a No. 5 seed and a No. 4 seed are distinctly better than surviving a second-round test against a No. 1 or No. 2 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              Controversy is one thing but some of the ways he does things is what bothers me.... A lot of the things he writes is pretty decent but if you know the insides of some of the stories you would think different about the controversy....

Controversy is one thing but don't make high school athletes look like idiots while trying to make it...
              He seems to write things in a round about matter. Instead of just saying it and making a point, I feel he makes a sly underhanded comment which I do not find interesting or thought provoking. I find it cheap and unprofessional in some of his writing. The only thing I can usually agree with Stu with his writings, are about the event center and Howard Wood Field. He comes right out to say it and does not mince words. He makes a good argument and his reasons why he feels that way. The complete opposite when he is writing about college athletics or his love for Ogorman.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

One way to avoid Stupids comments is to not read them. I pass them over each and every time. I like to read things that make sense not raise controversy. Stu's articles in general try to poke and pry.

Pass-em up and you'll be better off for it.

GBGBGJ

Comment

". . . . turn the Arena into a blue-and-gold tinder box for Summit opponents."

And would somebody please tell Stu that SDSU's colors are Blue and Yellow, NOT blue and gold. Even when you are attempting to write satire you should have the real facts right.
                  Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                    And would somebody please tell Stu that SDSU's colors are Blue and Yellow, NOT blue and gold. Even when you are attempting to write satire you should have the real facts right.
                    My guess is he already knows it. He just likes to piss us off.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Again, Stu shows that he really really likes trying to piss off people affiliated with SDSU. His arrogance is staggering. I knew he was a poor writer and lacked any real insight and analytical skill, but good lord its almost embarrassing for him to write things like this for the Argus. He's the sports editor for crying out loud, not some USD homer. They haven't even held one meeting yet and they are already in the league apparently. What an idiot. Wait until something happens before spouting off like that. And Stu, when you read this post, keep in mind that I really think your writing is extremely subpar and that you are lucky to have TV to carry your sports section. Seriously, if it wasn't for him, I would never read the Argus.

And to all of you who will post in reply: "oh this is just Stu up to his same old tricks," I get it. I know that's what he is doing, but this blog post is in a different realm of idiocy and poor writing. His style of writing is about as inflaming as Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity and lacks about as much fact finding and analysis.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post

Again, Stu shows that he really really likes trying to piss off people affiliated with SDSU. His arrogance is staggering. I knew he was a poor writer and lacked any real insight and analytical skill, but good lord its almost embarrassing for him to write things like this for the Argus. He's the sports editor for crying out loud, not some USD homer. They haven't even held one meeting yet and they are already in the league apparently. What an idiot. Wait until something happens before spouting off like that. And Stu, when you read this post, keep in mind that I really think your writing is extremely subpar and that you are lucky to have TV to carry your sports section. Seriously, if it wasn't for him, I would never read the Argus.

And to all of you who will post in reply: "oh this is just Stu up to his same old tricks," I get it. I know that's what he is doing, but this blog post is in a different realm of idiocy and poor writing. His style of writing is about as inflaming as Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity and lacks about as much fact finding and analysis.
                        Ouch that hurts to lump Orielly and Hannity in with Stu. But you forgot to mention Keith Olberman (sp). Even though they have completely different jobs such, thats still harsh.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          Ouch that hurts to lump Orielly and Hannity in with Stu. But you forgot to mention Keith Olberman (sp). Even though they have completely different jobs such, thats still harsh.
                          Olbermann is of the same strain of inflammatory "reporters" no doubt. Not trying to get political here just making the analogy of "reporting" done by these types. Its all about ego and Stu fits right in with those guys on that front.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post

i'll agree with you on Stu....personally I like O'Reilly....And I dropped my Argus subscription...after the article about the NCC being done, and the Argus found it necessary to have the pictures referring to Fred as the main pic....bush league...Personally you can whine about it...or do something...I prefer being proactive

Just read the article....had to be tongue and cheek....when he says "smart people, like me"......had to be a hoax.
                            Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                            Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
                              i'll agree with you on Stu....personally I like O'Reilly....And I dropped my Argus subscription...after the article about the NCC being done, and the Argus found it necessary to have the pictures referring to Fred as the main pic....bush league...Personally you can whine about it...or do something...I prefer being proactive
                              As I don't have a subscription to drop, there is little I can do on that front or I would. I have already encouraged my parents and grandparents to drop the Argus after the end of year article. So I guess that is being proactive.

Edit: I really don't take it as tongue in cheek at all. I actually think he believes that he foretold the future.

Comment

Took him two sentences to take a jab at SDSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X