Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Stu Strikes Again!

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
    Who really cares what messageboard activity is like. It's nice to get online and keep connected and everything, but you can't use internet activity as a gauge for the success of a program.
    It shows a measurement of people who actually care enough to express opinions...

Apparently located somewhere in Verm...

Look closely behind the third row on the left - you might see Mr. Stu hiding alone...

*nice looking lecture hall, though
    **btw, i choose C. getting personal life advice from brittany - that would be interesting

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      That's completely unacceptable. I'm not going to dismiss that kind of bad behavior and more than I would accept what happened at the Dome. I recall plenty of stupid behavior at CAS and Frost (albeit nothing quite as foul as the Dome incident.) There's no place for any of that. It's not just "stuff" it's unacceptable. That kind of behavior (and yes, we're at fault at times, too) is why nobody up here is anxious to restart such an ugly, personal rivalry. We have a rivalry with NDSU that is developing into a very much anticipated game. And I think because we have been partners in transition, there's a good bit of respect there which makes those games spirited, but ultimately fun.

If I could be assured that the rivalry could be a healthy one, settled on the field with fans who cheer for their team and are respectful to the opponent, I might favor a renewal of the rivalry. But the feelings (on both sides) remain too raw. Maybe in a few years.

Ditto. This whole SDSU/USD thing is almost exactly what the NDSU/UND thing is. It was/is a bitter, ugly rivalry with pettiness (guilty) and hatred (also guilty) on both sides. The Bison-Jacks rivalry is a much healthier one - you're right - going through the transition together sort of links us. For comparison purposes - if the Bison don't win something, I'm definitely pulling for the Jacks to win it...on the other side of things, I always hope that UND loses every game in every sport forever! Maybe when/if we start to schedule the UxD's we could play usd first, and you could play und, just to tick them off

Comment

Originally posted by MHDBisonfan View Post
        Ditto. This whole SDSU/USD thing is almost exactly what the NDSU/UND thing is. It was/is a bitter, ugly rivalry with pettiness (guilty) and hatred (also guilty) on both sides. The Bison-Jacks rivalry is a much healthier one - you're right - going through the transition together sort of links us. For comparison purposes - if the Bison don't win something, I'm definitely pulling for the Jacks to win it...on the other side of things, I always hope that UND loses every game in every sport forever! Maybe when/if we start to schedule the UxD's we could play usd first, and you could play und, just to tick them off
        Absolutely agreed - missed JJ's statement earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by UTH View Post
          Absolutely agreed - missed JJ's statement earlier.
          Yup.

Comment

Stu's column this week was pretty good

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...32/1002/sports

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
              Stu's column this week was pretty good

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...32/1002/sports
              I thought that was pretty good too. Got some good chuckles, like Louie's "quote" at the end of the article.

Comment

I thought it was funny as well. I loved the Victor Page part.

Comment

If Stu just would just focus on writing instead of ripping someone, he's a pretty good writer.

Comment

My $0.02 worth: I confess I read Stu's column but only because several posters were complimentary. My opinion remains unchanged about such columns: I think the concept behind the column is what one could expect to find in a middle-school or high school newspaper, not in a the daily newspaper of any significance (and I think the Argus is a daily paper having significance). I am not critical of Stu's writing ability (sentence structure, grammar etc.).

Comment

Maybe its a lawyer thing, because I did the same thing as JackJD and agree with his opinion of the article. I didn't laugh, didn't chuckle, may have briefly smiled at something. I'm not sure what it is, but this seems to be something like what Ruesse likes to do, and I generally like his columns, but this one fell short for me.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                        Maybe its a lawyer thing, because I did the same thing as JackJD and agree with his opinion of the article. I didn't laugh, didn't chuckle, may have briefly smiled at something. I'm not sure what it is, but this seems to be something like what Ruesse likes to do, and I generally like his columns, but this one fell short for me.
                        I agree. Those things are kind of cut and paste. Everybody does one every year.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

controversy sells more than being straight and narrow and politically correct. The Argus is about selling papers not appeasing certain people that don't like the way something is written. It's more likely that you will read Stu's column if you know there is something that will irk you at least as much as you will read it just because you might like something about it. You can deny it all ya want but it's true.
                          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Um, not quite right. We buy the Sunday paper most Sundays for the ads. I saw the column and skipped over just like I do with most of the non-SDSU, -Washington High, -Arlington stuff in the paper. Came on the board and because of the comments went back and read it. The Argus got my money in no way because of the column.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                              Came on the board and because of the comments went back and read it. The Argus got my money in no way because of the column.
                              Same here.

I have made the same comments before (that is, such columns are writing one would find in a middle school or high school paper) and have also noted previously that I am guilty of having written such columns a long time ago. JimmyJack's comment about everybody writing something like that is pretty true and we should all be embarrassed. Stu is capable of better.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                                controversy sells more than being straight and narrow and politically correct. The Argus is about selling papers not appeasing certain people that don't like the way something is written. It's more likely that you will read Stu's column if you know there is something that will irk you at least as much as you will read it just because you might like something about it. You can deny it all ya want but it's true.
                                Because of Stus views I tend to not read his articles. I will read Mick and Matts articles any day of the week before I would even look at a Stu article. After reading everything from Terry first.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X