X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official USD to D-I Smack Thread

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
    Yeah, because SDSU had a conference title and a playoff appearance in two of it's last three seasons of D2. Oh wait, errrr, I meant, yeah, it was watered down, WATERED DOWN I TELL YOU!

Give it up. You guys were a mediocre program when you moved up. You've gotten better since then after taking some lumps on the way. The USD football program is on an upswing these last few years, there is no denying it, and is ready and excited for the transition.

Let's end this "who was better in D-II" debate. The fact is that SDSU was better!

NCAA D-II National Championships

SDSU - 8
    USD - 2

The worst part if you are a USD fan is that the Coyotes spent more years in D-II chasing those elusive titles and ended up with fewer championships then South Dakota's largest and best University.

We were better in D-II and I am very confident that we will be better in D-I.

The great news for all of us is that USD can start proving me right this fall. Best of luck to the Yotes, do your best to try and keep up with us!

Go State!

Comment

Yeah, because SDSU had a conference title and a playoff appearance in two of it's last three seasons of D2. Oh wait, errrr, I meant, yeah, it was watered down, WATERED DOWN I TELL YOU!

Give it up. You guys were a mediocre program when you moved up. You've gotten better since then after taking some lumps on the way. The USD football program is on an upswing these last few years, there is no denying it, and is ready and excited for the transition.
      I think SDSU's teams were better than USD's before the move to DI.
      USD's football program is on an upswing? They beat Minn D. and Augie on the road. They lost to UND at home. Other than that they won home games and lost road games. I guess you could call that an upswing. I think SDSU's "mediocre" team would have the same results(at least). That might be the difference between the 2 schools, those results for SDSU are mediocre and it's an upswing for USD. I agree that SDSU's team is much better now than it was then, though.
      USD's Women's basketball team had a great year. I think you'd have to give the edge to SDSU because they won the National Title. Plus, they were there more than once. We'll see what happens to USD's team now that they lost all their seniors.
      SDSU's Men's basketball team made it to Regional's 8 of their last 9 years in DII. I don't think USD can say that. USD's men's team had a great year this year. The only problem with that is they were 3-4 in road games this year. They won a few games at a neutral site but I'm not including them. The only advantage USD has is SDSU lost Hansen, Stoebner, Cerveny, Schantz and Moeller around then. USD has most of their players back for their 1st year.

Comment

The internet is a wonderful thing son. You should always check it out before you open mouth and insert foot! Your telling Jackrabbit fans that we were a mediocre program when we moved up? Lets take a look at just the last five years in the key sports before we moved up - if you will.

MBB vs Yotes: Jacks 7 & 3 - 1 NCC champion & 5 regionals

WBB vs Yotes: Jacks 10 - 2 - 2 NCC champions, 3 regionals and O' yes 1 national championship.

Football vs Yotes: Are you setting down? 4 & 1 vs Yotes with three of those wins coming in the sacred dump! If we a were mediocre program just where does that put the Yotes over that time frame?

Yote, look at your schedule the last five years. Do you see SDSU, NDSU or UNC on that schedule? No. That's why your an up and coming program. Crookston, Bemidji, Quincy are you kidding? Three alike games played vs teams from Ark and LA. Jacks 3 -0, Yotes 0 - 3.

Jackrabbit club membership: $1,000.00 dollars

Season tickets: $500.00 dollars

Kicking the Yotes &%$@: Priceless!

Go big, go blue, go Jacks

Comment

Thats right SDSU was mediocre, so how did USD fair against us in those mediocre years. Lets look at the records.

03 - 22-11 SDSU
          02 - 27-20 SDSU
          01 - 26-3 SDSU
          00 - 8-41 USD hey u got a win
          99 - 43-30 SDSU
          98 - 24-10 SDSU
          97 - 3-21 USD another win
          96 - 28-17 SDSU
          95 - 31-3 SDSU
          94 - 26-10 SDSU
          93 - 7-29 USD thats 3
          92 - 31-21 SDSU
          91 - 21-18 SDSU
          90 - 16-14 SDSU
          89 - 14-7 SDSU

12-3 against USD and we weren't the dominate team in the NCC so what did that make you?
          Since the SU's have left you have proven you can beat $hi#$y teams, and lose to OK teams. You can talk all the trash u want when u have at least ONE decent win. Until then shut your pie hole and try not to get mange.

..|./

Comment

Just the sort of response I expected from the Jack faithful. If you would read my post I said you had mediocre teams going into D1. You were generally hovering around 6-5 or 7-4, not contending for the conference or playoff bids. Yes, you did beat USD during those times, some really down years at USD. What I compared is our last few years in football, that's it, as we transition, against your last few years in football before you transitioned. In the last three years we have had a conference title, a playoff appearance, and a road playoff win (which I guess qualifies for at least one quality road win). The Jacks had none of these things.

You have done very well for yourselves these last few years after taking some lumps out of the gate. I would say your football program now is healthier than at any other time in its history. USD is moving into this transition with a lot of momentum on the gridiron and to say that the quality of the GWFC is going to drop because the U's are in and the SU's are out is a tad premature. If memory serves me right, UND did beat one of the top teams in your new conference, UNI, at the UNIDome with a disadvantage in schollie numbers. USD and UND have been going head to head the last three years. They are comparable programs at this time. With an increase in schollies for both, wouldn't it seem reasonable that they will both only get better.

I guess this is the smack section, so I shouldn't use reason. I suppose it is a byproduct of the higher education I received.

Comment

Just the sort of response I expected from the Jack faithful. If you would read my post I said you had mediocre teams going into D1. You were generally hovering around 6-5 or 7-4, not contending for the conference or playoff bids. Yes, you did beat USD during those times, some really down years at USD. What I compared is our last few years in football, that's it, as we transition, against your last few years in football before you transitioned. In the last three years we have had a conference title, a playoff appearance, and a road playoff win (which I guess qualifies for at least one quality road win). The Jacks had none of these things.
              You make some reasonable points but then you devalue your statements by refusing to recognize the fact that the level of competition in the NCC isn't what it was. You can't fault people here for pointing out facts favorable towards SDSU and then refuse to recognize facts unfavorable towards Udot. Wrong forum for that.

Udot has been playing in a league that is not nearly what it use to be. I would wager (and facts would support) that USD would have at least 4 additional conferences losses over the time span that UNC, NDSU, and SDSU have been absent from the league. You, in turn, might argue that the west coast teams and UMD are equivalent or nearly equivalent to those that left the NCC. Again, the wrong forum for that.

Lastly, it doesn't matter what your position at the DII level is with respect to the transition to DI. We can argue this up and down and down and up again. Success will be determined moving forward, not looking back. I have no doubt that you recognize that so let the smack be smack. We whooped you boys the last 15 years you were our peers and we will whoop you again IF and when you ascend to our level.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

You have done very well for yourselves these last few years after taking some lumps out of the gate. I would say your football program now is healthier than at any other time in its history. USD is moving into this transition with a lot of momentum on the gridiron and to say that the quality of the GWFC is going to drop because the U's are in and the SU's are out is a tad premature. If memory serves me right, UND did beat one of the top teams in your new conference, UNI, at the UNIDome with a disadvantage in schollie numbers. USD and UND have been going head to head the last three years. They are comparable programs at this time. With an increase in schollies for both, wouldn't it seem reasonable that they will both only get better.

I guess this is the smack section, so I shouldn't use reason. I suppose it is a byproduct of the higher education I received.
                I don't see why USD won't do fine in FCS in a couple of years. You'll take your lumps, as you did the last two years in your FCS games, and as we did (recall that we lost our first FCS game to UC Davis 52-0.) So USD will be fine. But don't kid yourselves about the level of competition you're going to face. USD has never seen anything like QB Jonathan Dally and WR Ramses Barden from Cal Poly. You just haven't. The really skilled players in FCS are really, really skilled (e.g. Jayson Foster from Georgia Southern). And USD's defense was beyond porous the last couple of years. Those guys are going to eat you up. And it'll take some time to transition into FCS-caliber players. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it will take time. Luckily, transitioning teams generally don't have full FCS schedules for a few years. Otherwise you'd be looking at big losses.

I wouldn't read too much into UND's win at UNI. Everybody here knows UND is good, but to some FCS player in Cedar Falls, UND is just some puny D2 school, so they made the mistake and overlooked them. SDSU almost beat UNI at the UNIDome a couple of years ago when we were nowhere near fully funded. I'm guessing that they were looking past us to their Gateway competition... and I'm guessing that was the case with UND. In football, context matters. Conference games against equals are always going to be more intense than non-conference games against lower division teams.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

It just depends on what school your from in most debates.
                  The USD side talks about the last 3 years under Ed. They had 9-2, 9-4 and this years record(9-4?).
                  The SDSU side says that the year USD hired Ed, they lost SDSU and NDSU from their schedule. The year before that they lost UNC. The last 3 years USD played those 3 schools their record against them was 2-6. IF USD continued playing those 3 schools, they would average 2 more losses/year.
                  USD was 8-16 against other teams in those 3 years so Ed made them better.
                  The last 3 years USD is 3-3 against UND and UNO. Those are 2 of the 5 top teams in the NCC. If USD plays those 2 at a .500 clip they might do that against NDSU, SDSU and UNC.
                  This could go on and on. I'm sure USD is better than they were 5 years ago. The ? is if they still played in the tougher NCC, what would their record be. We'll never know but I think debating it is fun. There is a point when people start getting offensive/defensive and then it isn't as much fun.
                  Both SDSU and USD are better then they were.
                  After this post I'll get back to SMACK in this section.

Comment

Appears that Yotes are getting a free ride into D-I. I sure would like to see their plan for women's sports compliance with Title IX. Are all their sports moving? What is being added?

It's a good thing that SDSU led the way, because the secrecy of what's going down downstate is amazing. SDSU was under the microscope for daring to go D-I, and now, USD is joining D-I with virtually no questions asked. Much easier to step through where others have pioneered.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                      Appears that Yotes are getting a free ride into D-I. I sure would like to see their plan for women's sports compliance with Title IX. Are all their sports moving? What is being added?

It's a good thing that SDSU led the way, because the secrecy of what's going down downstate is amazing. SDSU was under the microscope for daring to go D-I, and now, USD is joining D-I with virtually no questions asked. Much easier to step through where others have pioneered.
                      No question about it USD has the road map that we did not have 5 years ago. Lets see if USD can use this map correctly. It awfully easy to take the wrong prong of a fork in the road. If their alums and faculty are behind the decision, things could go good. I know I have worried to much about USD. SDSU will be okay and with leadership we know have in President Chicoine, we have an individual that has a network of resources. We need to continue to provide the challenge to USD to catch up. I am not so crazy about rivalry games, but if they are necessary, USD has much to lose if they dont have proper crowd control and dead animals come out on the floor. I think SDSU should pick up Commisioner Douple's travel to the first SDSU-USD game. What kind of USD that he observes is up to the USD community. Stay away from the road kill.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        It awfully easy to take the wrong prong of a fork in the road. .
                        That's a good point. In fact, I'd say SDSU was pushing hard to take a wrong turn when pushing hard to get into the Big Sky. Now, our judgment was obviously clouded by some desperation since we needed to get into a conference for multiple reasons and most would have argued it was a great turn if we had been able to make it a couple years ago. However, in hindsight we were lucky to have had fate step in and turn us away and towards bigger and better things in the Gateway and the Summit. It will be interesting to see what similar situations present themselves to USD and how they play out. One could argue their conference situation is perhaps more desperate than ours 5 years ago. Then again, the Gateway would have seemed a dream back then to us, so who knows.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

If you were to take a quick second and read my post, it says "Any way you slice it, USD and UND just aren't of the caliber of SDSU and NDSU." What that means is that any way you slice it, USD and UND just aren't of the caliber of SDSU and NDSU.

I don't care whether you are talking sports, academics, or whatever category you want, it just isn't close! Any way you slice it, USD and UND just aren't of the caliber of SDSU and NDSU.

I hope I've clarified that.

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                            The internet is a wonderful thing son. You should always check it out before you open mouth and insert foot! Your telling Jackrabbit fans that we were a mediocre program when we moved up? Lets take a look at just the last five years in the key sports before we moved up - if you will.

MBB vs Yotes: Jacks 7 & 3 - 1 NCC champion & 5 regionals

WBB vs Yotes: Jacks 10 - 2 - 2 NCC champions, 3 regionals and O' yes 1 national championship.

Football vs Yotes: Are you setting down? 4 & 1 vs Yotes with three of those wins coming in the sacred dump! If we a were mediocre program just where does that put the Yotes over that time frame?

Yote, look at your schedule the last five years. Do you see SDSU, NDSU or UNC on that schedule? No. That's why your an up and coming program. Crookston, Bemidji, Quincy are you kidding? Three alike games played vs teams from Ark and LA. Jacks 3 -0, Yotes 0 - 3.

Jackrabbit club membership: $1,000.00 dollars

Season tickets: $500.00 dollars

Kicking the Yotes &%$@: Priceless!

Go big, go blue, go Jacks
                            Any way you slice it, USD and UND just aren't of the caliber of SDSU and NDSU!

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                              If you were to take a quick second and read my post, it says "Any way you slice it, USD and UND just aren't of the caliber of SDSU and NDSU." What that means is that any way you slice it, USD and UND just aren't of the caliber of SDSU and NDSU.

I don't care whether you are talking sports, academics, or whatever category you want, it just isn't close! Any way you slice it, USD and UND just aren't of the caliber of SDSU and NDSU.

I hope I've clarified that.

SUPERBUNNY
                              After reading your post, I felt it was like trying to tell your kids "No". When they don't get it, what part of "no" aren't they understanding.

Comment

I was asked, and now have asked, many times, "Which part of 'no' don't you understand, the 'n' or the 'o'?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X