X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official USD to D-I Smack Thread

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
    Let me ask this. Does it matter who got to 63 FB scholarships faster? Does someone get a DI trophy for getting to 63 the fastest?

There are several paths to fully funding football. Our athletic department had their vision and did it their way. Their department is going to do it their way and if its wrong or convoluted it will show itself sooner or later.

Personally it doesn't matter a ton to me who got or gets to full scholarships the fastest but since it seems to be such a big deal to so many SDSU fans that SDSU moved to D1 first maybe it does have some relevance. It shows if true that one of USD's first D1 decisions is going to be done with conviction.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Coyote dude:
      I am perplexed by you. For the life of me, I cant figure out why you spend so much time on this site. I for one have never even looked to see if there is a similar USD site although Ive heard references. Do you post over there? Does anyone post over there? Is there such a lack of interest that they cant keep a site going like this one or Bisonville? I mean Im a big Jacks fan and get on here pretty regular when I have something constructive to add but you have more posts then I do.

The only conclusion I can come to is you just get off on coming over just to needle people and lets face it, it works with some of the folks here, but that is really strange behavior. Do you get up in the morning and think today Im going to go out of my way to irritate people?

I contrast your posts with those of the Bison fans who come on here. They almost always are informational, positive and most important respectful. The same is true for a number of folks here who post on Bisonville. Of course leading up to a game with them there are usually the homecooked predictions but they are never nasty and when the games are over I have never seen anyone post gloating comments. As a result I for one have become somewhat of a fan of the Bison. I know I was cheering for them when they beat the Gophers and I am confident there will be plenty of them rooting for the Jacks against Iowa State. On the other hand, its guys like you that had me smiling when the the inevitable big choke took place last Saturday nite.

Comment

Be afraid of the U. They'd beat us for sure in baseball and wrestling on a consistant basis

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
          Coyote dude:
          I am perplexed by you. For the life of me, I cant figure out why you spend so much time on this site. I for one have never even looked to see if there is a similar USD site although Ive heard references. Do you post over there? Does anyone post over there? Is there such a lack of interest that they cant keep a site going like this one or Bisonville? I mean Im a big Jacks fan and get on here pretty regular when I have something constructive to add but you have more posts then I do.

The only conclusion I can come to is you just get off on coming over just to needle people and lets face it, it works with some of the folks here, but that is really strange behavior. Do you get up in the morning and think today Im going to go out of my way to irritate people?

I contrast your posts with those of the Bison fans who come on here. They almost always are informational, positive and most important respectful. The same is true for a number of folks here who post on Bisonville. Of course leading up to a game with them there are usually the homecooked predictions but they are never nasty and when the games are over I have never seen anyone post gloating comments. As a result I for one have become somewhat of a fan of the Bison. I know I was cheering for them when they beat the Gophers and I am confident there will be plenty of them rooting for the Jacks against Iowa State. On the other hand, its guys like you that had me smiling when the the inevitable big choke took place last Saturday nite.
          Rep points for you! I've wondered my entire posting life why anyone would go onto someone else's forum to justify what is, more than likely, irrational thoughts.
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

USD might have an easier transition to D-1 for multiple reasons. First, the Coyotes have fewer sports, so they don't have to spread their money or effort as far. Second, USD can follow the path cleared by SDSU, NDSU, Northern Colorado and to a lesser degree UND. Third, the Coyotes have low standards. Mediocre teams get hyped as examples of excellence. Then the teams fold, the cycle repeats and everyone remains happy and confident. (See men's football and men's basketball for examples.) I give the Coyotes credit for taking on the D-I challenge, but they might wish they'd followed Morningside instead.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
              contrast your posts with those of the Bison fans who come on here. They almost always are informational, positive and most important respectful. The same is true for a number of folks here who post on Bisonville. Of course leading up to a game with them there are usually the homecooked predictions but they are never nasty and when the games are over I have never seen anyone post gloating comments. As a result I for one have become somewhat of a fan of the Bison.
              Honestly, I would put Coyote_Fan in the thinking fan category most of the time, rather than the angry partisan. He's honest about his teams. The problem is he hasn't let go of that anti-SDSU "Hate State" mentality and his nasty comments here sometimes bring the "Screw the U" mentality out in some of us.

I would say it's symptomatic of the relative positions of the two programs. USD faces a ton of uncertainty, with no conference home for most of its programs and five years of purgatory ahead of them. That is no doubt making even thinking fans like CF antsy. And USD needs SDSU more now than we need them. We're busy making connections and building rivalries with the Gateway and Summit schools. They're just starting a transition with no clear goals other than finding a way to play and defeat SDSU in order to brand their move a success. CF himself has said he doesn't think much of his 5-team football league (an arguable point, of course.) So what's left as a goal during their transition? Find a new league (unlikely, it appears to me) or beat SDSU at something.

Once we are able to get USD fans to move on past the ugliness of the old USD-SDSU rivalry, as we have, maybe they'll be ready for a new one. In the meantime, USD fans will have to be satisfied by, for example, comparing their Missouri-Rolla football score against ours.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Jimmy Jack,

Decent post and I will bring up one thing. Just to clarify my opinion I respect the teams in the Great West and definately think the teams are tough and could make for some good rivalries. I simply don't think the league is a legit league because of the small number of teams. If USD were to win the title I would obviously be happy about it but wouldn't feel right calling it a conference title. It is what it is. A strong alliance of teams playing for the common purpose of being able to schedule good D1 FCS games. I don't see what is so wrong with that way of thinking. Since I am for the move to D1 I would rather be playing a game against Cal Poly or So Utah than to be in the NSIC and playing games against Crookston or Northern State despite it being a legit conference.
                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Obviously, when the conference was formed it had seven members which is a better situation than five members. With the departure of St. Mary's before a game was ever played and Northern Colorado after only one (or was it two) year the numbers didn't look nearly as good. But take a look at what was there before and after those departures. At the beginning it would have been predicted to be a conference of four pretty good teams including SDSU, NDSU, Cal-Poly and UC Davis and three pretty week teams in Northern Colorado, SUU and St. Mary's. (I'm fiddling a bit with history here because I would have predicted Northern Colorado to have been better than they actually turned out to be and I really would have placed SDSU right in the middle of the pack instead of near the top - but after a few seasons we see what actually was.)

Now, to my point. All of the good teams stayed and only a couple of weak teams left so the quality of the seven-team conference didn't suffer, only the quantity. Time will tell if the quality can be maintained when USD and UND take the place of SDSU and NDSU. I know that others have speculated about this and will continue to do so. I don't consider myself a football expert so I will choose not to participate in such speculation.
                  Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

[QUOTE=HoboD;81228]Coyote dude:
                    I am perplexed by you. For the life of me, I cant figure out why you spend so much time on this site. QUOTE]

Answer: coyote fan is a closet jackrabbit fan.. he just hasnt made that transistion to openly announcing his jackrabbit love yet.

Comment

[QUOTE=West-River_Jack;81354]

Now, to my point. All of the good teams stayed and only a couple of weak teams left so the quality of the seven-team conference didn't suffer, only the quantity. Time will tell if the quality can be maintained when USD and UND take the place of SDSU and NDSU. QUOTE]

Ummmmmmmmmmmm. I'll take the bait.

The quality will most definitely go down. Any way you slice it, USD and UND just aren't of the caliber of SDSU and NDSU.

It's just the truth.

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                        Personally it doesn't matter a ton to me who got or gets to full scholarships the fastest but since it seems to be such a big deal to so many SDSU fans that SDSU moved to D1 first maybe it does have some relevance. It shows if true that one of USD's first D1 decisions is going to be done with conviction.
                        Yote,

It does matter how quickly you get to 63 scollies. SDSU had a plan based on available dollars. SDSU excellerated that effort to insure money games such as Iowa State, Neb, MN. Regardless of how many scollies you have the important element is "who you offer" those scollies to? NDSU got to 63 before SDSU but you know who won the last meeting.

I've not heard any explanation as of yet just how USD will address title 9 or don't you care?

Go big, go blue, go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

Any way you slice it, USD and UND just aren't of the caliber of SDSU and NDSU.

It's just the truth.

SUPERBUNNY
                          As Donnie Baker says, "It's in the first book of the bible. I swear to God it is."

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

Ummmmmmmmmmmm. I'll take the bait.

The quality will most definitely go down. Any way you slice it, USD and UND just aren't of the caliber of SDSU and NDSU.

It's just the truth.

SUPERBUNNY
                            Yeah, because SDSU had a conference title and a playoff appearance in two of it's last three seasons of D2. Oh wait, errrr, I meant, yeah, it was watered down, WATERED DOWN I TELL YOU!

Give it up. You guys were a mediocre program when you moved up. You've gotten better since then after taking some lumps on the way. The USD football program is on an upswing these last few years, there is no denying it, and is ready and excited for the transition.

Comment

And we're still light years ahead of you! Go figure!
                              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
                                Yeah, because SDSU had a conference title and a playoff appearance in two of it's last three seasons of D2. Oh wait, errrr, I meant, yeah, it was watered down, WATERED DOWN I TELL YOU!

Give it up. You guys were a mediocre program when you moved up. You've gotten better since then after taking some lumps on the way. The USD football program is on an upswing these last few years, there is no denying it, and is ready and excited for the transition.
                                If in our last 3 years of d2, if we would have played Upper Iowa, Minnesota-Crookston, and the Nebraska Girls Scouts instead of SDSU, NDSU, and UNC, we would have went 9-2 each season also. usd2 football is overrated. If you can't figure that out, well then, you are never going to figure it out. That's a fact.

Comment

Working...
                                X