X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official USD to D-I Smack Thread

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Press conference today to announce that Ryan Williams (Wayne State) will be the new coach at USD. Rumor is Lavin will replace Ruley at NDSU and bring several players with him.
    Well MD, I am not sure if this post is intended as an April Fools joke or not. I did hear during the regional tourney that Williams indeed would be replacing Chadwick. I highly doubt that Chad would go to NDSU with his known love for D1 ball.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
      Well MD, I am not sure if this post is intended as an April Fools joke or not. I did hear during the regional tourney that Williams indeed would be replacing Chadwick. I highly doubt that Chad would go to NDSU with his known love for D1 ball.
      Its in the smack section and its April 1st so.......

Williams is going to be announced as the coach at Udot.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Just finished reading a few of the past posts. Geez. having grown up in Yankton in the years we still played VHS and then going to State I can say there is something in the water in Vermillion that makes the students and adminstrators lose their sensibilities and become large egoed, loud mouthed bores. Every D1 loss will be a victory in their minds. The only good thing in Vermillion is or was a Kerry's Kripler from Kerry's Bar if that place is still there. Best thing in Vermillion. The road leaving town.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
          Best thing in Vermillion. The road leaving town.

Ha, I always thought the HWY 50 bypass was the best thing in Vermillion, basically the same thing I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
            Ha, I always thought the HWY 50 bypass was the best thing in Vermillion, basically the same thing I guess.
            As I said on earlier post, the best part about going to Vermillion is seeing the "Welcome to USD" sign in the rear view mirror! BTW, Carrie's is still there. No remodeling done in last 25 years...still the same. Not unlike Jim's Tap in Btown.

Comment

Its a tough one for me. Carrie's was a great hangout for the LONG 2 years I spent in Vermillion and I still make it a point to stop in when I'm forced to enter the city limits. Should be noted that they recently remodeled the bathrooms and got in some new bar chairs/stools. They also have Guinness on tap and a great selection of imports including Erdinger. About 10 years ago they expanded to the west which is now a "smoke-free" side of the bar with some couches, lounge chairs and bar games. The main/old bar has 3 fairly new 50" flat screen TVs. The worst part about the place, Udot students, faculty and fans. Oh wait, I'm faculty.

In the end, I gotta go with the Highway 50 bypass. Plenty of other towns with great pubs. I highly recommend Ben's Brewing Company/Hugh Glass bar in Yankton. 15 beers on tap including Guinness, Harp, NewCastle, Smithwicks, and Ben's own brews Smutty Bear, Mount Martian Ale and White Whale Ale.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by senator07 View Post
                Wow, I am surprised that Lavin is still quiting after an impressive run through top 30 ranked teams in D1. I would have thought he would make his come back speech yesterday and say that these women strength and will to play the game has brought me back! Overall, he is just scared to work hard for something. In DII all he had to do is break even and his job was fine. Then after SDSU left he started to actually get pretty good recuits and after stealing couple recuits illegally he had a pretty good team.....good job coach and good luck in retirement! We won't miss you.
                I think this post is unfair and going over the line. It actually gets close to being considered slander as well so be carefull what you write. This is smack but if you are going to accuse Lavin of doing something illegally you better have some facts before you go spouting off like this.

Lavin is a very good coach and proved it this year.
                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                  I think this post is unfair and going over the line. It actually gets close to being considered slander as well so be carefull what you write. This is smack but if you are going to accuse Lavin of doing something illegally you better have some facts before you go spouting off like this.

Wrong. Lavin is no longer a coach. "Lavin was a very good coach..." would be more appropriate, but definitely debatable.
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I think this post is unfair and going over the line. It actually gets close to being considered slander as well so be carefull what you write.
                    To quote another poster on here... "Lighten up, Francis!"

Besides... AJ was hardly out of his 30s when he won his national title. How long did it take old Lavin to even get to the Elite 8, much less the title game?

AJ owned Lavin!
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                      To quote another poster on here... "Lighten up, Francis!"

Besides... AJ was hardly out of his 30s when he won his national title. How long did it take old Lavin to even get to the Elite 8, much less the title game?

AJ owned Lavin!
                      AJ is still not out of his thirties. Was he even thirty the year the Jacks won? Why don't you post on the usd2 board, Francis Coyote Fan? Maybe then, just maybe you could find someone to agree with you.

Comment

Allow me to rephrase... just into his thirties... Wasn't he only 29 when he took over from Nieber?
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

What are you going to do? Tell my mommy?

Slander would be the stunt you idiots pulled down and the dome the last time we played basketball there but that didn't seem to bother any of the folks from the "law school" down there. What an idiot.

While we are comparing:

Chad Lavin=Never could win the big one.
                          AARON JOHNSTON=NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP COACH

SDSU=Penthouse
                          USD=Outhouse (aka. the Dakota Dump)

There is no comparison between coaches and there is even less comparison between universities! Never has, never will!

Slander this you little......

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

As Fred Flintstone would say, "Loosen your bone, Wlima"

Comment

Don't know if this belongs in the smack section or not. I was actually searching for some SDSU athletic budget information and this came up in my google search. This an internal USD document discussing the pros and cons of moving to D-1. The report was written in November 2006. It is 28 pages long.

Here is the link

I did not read the entire report (28 pages), but there were somethings that caught my eye. Now I have never been on the USD campus, but apparently the Dakota Dump is used for almost every athletic event hosted on campus. Football, Men's and Women's Basketball, Women's Volleyball, Indoor Track and Field, Swimming events. In addition to the USD students using it for most of their intramural sports. The Vermillion high school football team uses the facility. State football championships are hosted and various non-sports related events are hosted there. It is very difficult to allow the USD sports teams access to the facility to host games and practice on a consistent basis. These issues and a lot more are discussed in this report, however they never really have any answers on how to resolve the issues with moving up to D-1.

I did like the part about the pool being 25 yards long, however the pool needs to be 25 meters in length for national meet qualifications.

Well I thought I would pass the link along so others could see that USD is much further behind SDSU than I originally thought. They really do have a long uphill climb to turn their athletic teams and facilities into a D-1 institution. I wish them luck.

Go State!!!
                              Go Jacks!!!
                              Last edited by NorCalJack; 04-02-2008, 12:42 PM.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                                Don't know if this belongs in the smack section or not. I was actually searching for some SDSU athletic budget information and this came up in my google search. This an internal USD document discussing the pros and cons of moving to D-1. The report was written in November 2006. It is 28 pages long.

Here is the link

I did not read the entire report (28 pages), but there we somethings that caught my eye. Now I have never been on the USD campus, but apparently the Dakota Dump is used for almost every athletic event hosted on campus. Football, Men's and Women's Basketball, Women's Volleyball, Indoor Track and Field, Swimming events. In addition to the USD students using it for most of their intramural sports. The Vermillion high school football team uses the facility. State football championships are hosted and various non-sports related events are hosted there. It is very difficult to allow the USD sports teams access to the facility to host games and practice on a consistent basis. These issues and a lot more are discussed in this report, however they never really have any answers on how to resolve the issues with moving up to D-1.

I did like the part about the pool being 25 yards long, however the pool needs to be 25 meters in length for national meet qualifications.

Well I thought I would pass the link along so others could see that USD is much further behind SDSU than I originally thought. They really do have a long uphill climb to turn their athletic teams and facilities into a D-1 institution. I wish them luck.

Go State!!!
                                Go Jacks!!!
                                Being a ex-swimmer, and active participant in the initial construction of the DakotaDome in the late 70's, I can assure that the DakotaDome was constructed to be the multi-used facility as listed above. Likewise, unless short-course (normal indoor season) has changed, 25-yds is the standard length. SDSU was smart as it has meters into the diving well, and yards for the standard swimming. UNO (my "other" university) has a delightful 50 meter pool, and a movable bulkhead. USD should have gone for the 25 meter, and a bulkhead to shorten to the 25 yds. But, they were lucky to get a pool at all, and probably wouldn't have if Doc, USD swim coach of multiple years, hadn't stirred the pot REAL hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X