USD Getting Ready to Become the Best College in SD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Getting Ready to Become the Best College i

I realise that USD lost to UCA 24-0 and there is no excuse for that. 24-0 is 24-0 any way you look at it. What can be taken from the game is that when predicting future games it tells me that USD can definately play with teams like that. SDSU struggled badly in their first D1 game. I think there is probably an intimidation factor at first but once a few games are played the nervous errors tend to disappear. I am not saying that USD is going to go down and beat McNeese State but I don't think they will have as much go wrong as did against UCA from a mere opportunistic perspective. If McNeese wins I think it will be more due to just having better talent on the field. I do think USD will play the Cowboys tough.

I think things like total yards and how a game plays out might be lost upon a final score but is a very important factor in determining what to expect going forward. Now if USD would have been slaughtered all over the field that would concern me alot more. That was simply not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUcks
      I realise that USD lost to UCA 24-0 and there is no excuse for that.  24-0 is 24-0 any way you look at it.  What can be taken from the game is that when predicting future games it tells me that USD can definately play with teams like that.  SDSU struggled badly in their first D1 game.  I think there is probably an intimidation factor at first but once a few games are played the nervous errors tend to disappear.  I am not saying that USD is going to go down and beat McNeese State but I don't think they will have as much go wrong as did against UCA from a mere opportunistic perspective.  If McNeese wins I think it will be more due to just having better talent on the field.  I do think USD will play the Cowboys tough.  

I think things like total yards and how a game plays out might be lost upon a final score but is a very important factor in determining what to expect going forward.  Now if USD would have been slaughtered all over the field that would concern me alot more.  That was simply not the case.    
      You just keeping thinking that way! It's your opinion and you are entitled to it and to post it here but do realize this, no one cares!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

SDSU is the best college because look...a player drafted by the WNBA! and made NCAA history by becoming the first transition team to be invited to the WNIT..and the men got to take trips to the likes of Denver, New York City (Manhattan), Lexington, Minneapolis, Nashville, Illinois, etc. It is a draw to preps all over South Dakota to want to compete with and against the best that the state has to offer..hence the name South Dakota STATE! Not only basketball or football but also other sports as well....the only connection that USD has to SDSU is that they are a member of the South Dakota Board of Regents and that is where the similarity ends.. ;D

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but UCA wasn't even a full fledged DI-AA school last year and wasn't at full scholarship. It will be interesting to see how USD does playing against a school that does have the full scholarships like McNeese. I'll predict a score of 47-10.

Comment

Uca was in their first transition year so not a full fledged FCS/D-IAA school but they were at a full 63 scholarships.

Now, comparing SDSU's first game in I-AA to USD's is even worse than comparing scores. When USD played UCA you were a D-II school playing up a level, SDSU was playing its first game at a new level that was unknown to all. USD had nothing to lose SDSU wasn't sure they were ready for what they were getting into. There were certainly some coaching/preperation errors made on SDSU's part that were quickly fixed but the two games were no where near similar.

USD playing that game will benefit you in the near future as you have seen what a decent FCS team looks like. You can blame the loss on what you like but even your head coach said that players at this level were bigger, faster, stronger than they had expected and this was a team that was only 1 season removed from D-II. I am sure that had some cause to your offensive woes in the game.
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
              Uca was in their first transition year so not a full fledged FCS/D-IAA school but they were at a full 63 scholarships.  

Now, comparing SDSU's first game in I-AA to USD's is even worse than comparing scores.  When USD played UCA you were a D-II school playing up a level, SDSU was playing its first game at a new level that was unknown to all.  USD had nothing to lose SDSU wasn't sure they were ready for what they were getting into.  There were certainly some coaching/preperation errors made on SDSU's part that were quickly fixed but the two games were no where near similar.    

USD playing that game will benefit you in the near future as you have seen what a decent FCS team looks like.  You can blame the loss on what you like but even your head coach said that players at this level were bigger, faster, stronger than they had expected and this was a team that was only 1 season removed from D-II.  I am sure that had some cause to your offensive woes in the game.  
              Not making excuses for the team but were not several of the players sick with the flu that week and game against Davis? I cant quiet remember
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

No, I don't remember anyone having any flu problems. I just think it was a lack of mentally being ready for what was coming. Then a few bad things happened and it swallowed the team. The coaches chalked it up to poor preperation and moved on and the next time we played a D-I game the team was better prepared and came back from a 14 point deficit to beat Southern.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

No, I don't remember anyone having any flu problems.  I just think it was a lack of mentally being ready for what was coming.  Then a few bad things happened and it swallowed the team.  The coaches chalked it up to poor preperation and moved on and the next time we played a D-I game the team was better prepared and came back from a 14 point deficit to beat Southern.
                  Ok. its been awhile so my memory is a little off, but I thought nelson and a few others didnt hardly play because of a flu or something anways, but your prolly right not being completely prepared. They sure have come along way since that game for sure.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon
                    Not making excuses for the team but were not several of the players sick with the flu that week and game against Davis?  I cant quiet remember
                    You are right goon, I was at that game and the starting QB never played a down. There were also others that did not play I believe. I had not seen the Jacks play in 15 years before that game, so was not really familiar with the team, but I did know who the starting QB was at the time. I was a little suprised when he did not play. I did not know that he and several others had the stomach flu until after the game. It was also in the high 90's that day. Not the best showing for the Jacks, but I gave them a pass for the game under those circumstances.

Go State!!!
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack
                      [quote author=goon link=1175240707/30#35 date=1175810719]Not making excuses for the team but were not several of the players sick with the flu that week and game against Davis?  I cant quiet remember
                      You are right goon, I was at that game and the starting QB never played a down.  There were also others that did not play I believe.  I had not seen the Jacks play in 15 years before that game, so was not really familiar with the team, but I did know who the starting QB was at the time.  I was a little suprised when he did not play.  I did not know that he and several others had the stomach flu until after the game.  It was also in the high 90's that day.  Not the best showing for the Jacks, but I gave them a pass for the game under those circumstances.

Go State!!!
                      [/quote]
                      yeah, that would have to be a rough game playing a tough team on the road with several players who were sick for the first game of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack
                        [quote author=goon link=1175240707/30#35 date=1175810719]Not making excuses for the team but were not several of the players sick with the flu that week and game against Davis?  I cant quiet remember
                        You are right goon, I was at that game and the starting QB never played a down.  There were also others that did not play I believe.  I had not seen the Jacks play in 15 years before that game, so was not really familiar with the team, but I did know who the starting QB was at the time.  I was a little suprised when he did not play.  I did not know that he and several others had the stomach flu until after the game.  It was also in the high 90's that day.  Not the best showing for the Jacks, but I gave them a pass for the game under those circumstances.

Go State!!!
                        [/quote]

Call it what you want but stomach flu was not a problem that day.
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

[quote author=NorCalJack link=1175240707/30#38 date=1175813316][quote author=goon link=1175240707/30#35 date=1175810719]Not making excuses for the team but were not several of the players sick with the flu that week and game against Davis?  I cant quiet remember

Go State!!!
                          [/quote]

Call it what you want but stomach flu was not a problem that day.  [/quote]

I remember hearing that Nelson had a concussion early in that game and the way things were going I suppose there wasn't much of a reason to risk further complications. I don't believe there were any flu problems, just a whooping from bad personnel choices and not being ready to play.

Comment

That is correct sir.
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Meierkort probably was really giving UCA alot of credit and he should have but if the athletes were that much better how was USD able to chalk up about 200 total yards to about 70 in nearly a half of football. You can call that excuses if you would like but the reason USD lost that game wasn't because of being outclassed athletically it was because the Coyotes didn't take advantage of their opportunities. That isn't as much of an athletic thing as much as it was inexperience at quarterback and in a very foreight land against an unfamiliar opponent that was a very good opponent regardless of Division affiliation.

I would like to say that some of you are really setting yourself up for disappointment in assuming USD will fail in D1 football. Some of you will use the excuse of the NCC being dwindled down to 7 teams and that is fine but that does not explain USD being able to put a couple of whippings on UND and UNO because they are just as good now as they were 5 years ago. If you want to use the weakened NCC as an argument you have to at least acknowledge that the Yotes play a heck of alot better against the good teams than they did in the past.

USD isn't going to go 9-2 against D1AA competition but if you are expecting them to just lay down to the feet of these programs because they are AA I think you might be sadly mistaken. D1AA (or FCS if you will) is a step up but one that will not just eat the Coyotes alive and spit them out. The Yotes program is coming into D1 with more steam than SDSU did and things aren't going too bad for the Jacks.

Comment

I have to admit, I don't understand why anyone would root for USD to fail in D1. When you root for that, you're actually rooting for a bunch of student athletes to have bad experiences and for South Dakota taxpayers to take a financial hit. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. The hallmark of SDSU's athletic program (as exemplified by Megan Vogel's comments recently) is to give every student athlete a good experience... as part of their educations. Why would we endorse that for our own department and yet wish for dire consequences for another bunch of 18-22 year-olds (many of them South Dakotans) at another school in our state?

We have to get past all of that stuff and realize, as President Chicoine says, we're too poor and too small in South Dakota to be rooting for anyone else to fail. A rising tide lifts all boats. If USD finds success in D1, it will only add to our success and will be good for the state as a whole. If it ends up that we play USD eventually, so be it. Let's just beat them on the field/court and leave the ugliness behind.

Maybe I'm the only one who is planning to heed our new President's advice. But it's probably time for us to stop with the petty sniping and realize that we're too small and too isolated to hope for anyone else in our state to fail. It's just wasted energy.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X