SDSU Basketball From Bad to Worse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU Basketball From Bad to Worse

When I talked to Terry Vandrovec this weekend, one of the questions I asked was "What can we expect next season". He said to look out for the men's basketball team. They have some experienced young players coming back next season... Almost every player has been hitting the weight room; some have even put on 10-20 pounds of muscle since the season ended. So he's expecting a more experienced, stronger team next year that could turn some heads.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
      When I talked to Terry Vandrovec this weekend, one of the questions I asked was "What can we expect next season". He said to look out for the men's basketball team. They have some experienced young players coming back next season... Almost every player has been hitting the weight room; some have even put on 10-20 pounds of muscle since the season ended. So he's expecting a more experienced, stronger team next year that could turn some heads.
      Yah watch out for that basketball team, they might just reach double digits in wins next season. 10 wins and a 30% winning percentage sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up
        UCKS' views are laughable gasps of wishful thinking. Here's reality: In another year, when overmatched D-1 players stop transferring down to USD to play watered-down D-II basketball, the Coyotes will start to struggle, and the struggle probably will last for years. Logical Coyote fans realize that and accept it as the price of transition to D-I. Coach Boots would be wise to bail out after next season, before the pain of moving up begins to settle in, and enjoy what he has managed to accomplish. Coach Lavin, well, he'll probably be shown the exit by USD administrators. I, too, hope that SDSU and USD start playing each other in basketball again in another year or two. I also hope that UCKS will be old enough to drive by then so he can watch a game in Frost rather than in that future sewage incinerator that the Coyotes are forced to play in. What a dump that place is.
        Just take a peek at your football field and then think twice about calling other people's facilities dumps.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUcks
          [quote author=Jacked_Up link=1178598273/15#29 date=1179721157]UCKS' views are laughable gasps of wishful thinking. Here's reality: In another year, when overmatched D-1 players stop transferring down to USD to play watered-down D-II basketball, the Coyotes will start to struggle, and the struggle probably will last for years. Logical Coyote fans realize that and accept it as the price of transition to D-I. Coach Boots would be wise to bail out after next season, before the pain of moving up begins to settle in, and enjoy what he has managed to accomplish. Coach Lavin, well, he'll probably be shown the exit by USD administrators. I, too, hope that SDSU and USD start playing each other in basketball again in another year or two. I also hope that UCKS will be old enough to drive by then so he can watch a game in Frost rather than in that future sewage incinerator that the Coyotes are forced to play in. What a dump that place is.
          Just take a peek at your football field and then think twice about calling other people's facilities dumps.  [/quote]
          Like I have said before, wipe the milk off your chin junior and go back to your crib.

Comment

UCKS must not have a date for the junior high prom!
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUcks
              [quote author=Jacked_Up link=1178598273/15#29 date=1179721157]UCKS' views are laughable gasps of wishful thinking. Here's reality: In another year, when overmatched D-1 players stop transferring down to USD to play watered-down D-II basketball, the Coyotes will start to struggle, and the struggle probably will last for years. Logical Coyote fans realize that and accept it as the price of transition to D-I. Coach Boots would be wise to bail out after next season, before the pain of moving up begins to settle in, and enjoy what he has managed to accomplish. Coach Lavin, well, he'll probably be shown the exit by USD administrators. I, too, hope that SDSU and USD start playing each other in basketball again in another year or two. I also hope that UCKS will be old enough to drive by then so he can watch a game in Frost rather than in that future sewage incinerator that the Coyotes are forced to play in. What a dump that place is.
              Just take a peek at your football field and then think twice about calling other people's facilities dumps.  [/quote]

Hey Ucks POS....that should be a term you understand.

How has your wrestling or baseball team done the last few years? Oh crap, I forgot you don't have either sport. USD can't raise the money to support those programs. But now that they have made the move to DI, millions of dollars will come pouring in....maybe????
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
                [quote author=SDSUcks link=1178598273/30#32 date=1180226636][quote author=Jacked_Up link=1178598273/15#29 date=1179721157]UCKS' views are laughable gasps of wishful thinking. Here's reality: In another year, when overmatched D-1 players stop transferring down to USD to play watered-down D-II basketball, the Coyotes will start to struggle, and the struggle probably will last for years. Logical Coyote fans realize that and accept it as the price of transition to D-I. Coach Boots would be wise to bail out after next season, before the pain of moving up begins to settle in, and enjoy what he has managed to accomplish. Coach Lavin, well, he'll probably be shown the exit by USD administrators. I, too, hope that SDSU and USD start playing each other in basketball again in another year or two. I also hope that UCKS will be old enough to drive by then so he can watch a game in Frost rather than in that future sewage incinerator that the Coyotes are forced to play in. What a dump that place is.

Hey Ucks POS....that should be a term you understand.  

How has your wrestling or baseball team done the last few years?  Oh crap, I forgot you don't have either sport.  USD can't raise the money to support those programs.  But now that they have made the move to DI, millions of dollars will come pouring in....maybe????
                [/quote]

Well just look at the news clips and you will find out about USD's ability to raise money. USD alums have deeper pockets than SDSU alums and it's proven by the historic fund raising campaign that they just completed. That was for academics but it sets the precedance for the future and athletics will eventually get their share. Has SDSU able to be even close to that? Answer - NOPE!!!

The money will be there.

Comment

I just read a book. It's about business and selling, but I think the theme relates to this argument.

It's called "Hope Is Not a Strategy".

Good luck Ucks.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
                    I just read a book.  It's about business and selling, but I think the theme relates to this argument.

It's called "Hope Is Not a Strategy".

Good luck Ucks.
                    Hope is not $130,000,000.00 it is fact. Hope is the SDSU mens basketball team and their dream of being a good team anytime soon. USD will be coming to D1 soon to show the Jackrabbit mens basketball program how to transition successfully to D1 mens basketball.

Comment

Actually, the only thing USD could teach us is now NOT to transition to D-I basketball.

Now, don't you have to hop on your bike... the Kiddie pool in Vermin is only open til 5! And don't forget your juice box!

I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

'Ucks- I think that the proverbial well may have been tapped out when it comes to soliciting help from donors for USD(d-1?) athletics. After all, Abbott and Co. had to scramble to find money for essentially every building project that got started (particularly the medical school and the student center). In addition, at least $30 million of that fundraising was for the medical school, which is essentially a seperate entity. Finally, there was NO mention of the 'Yotes impending move to D-I. Hmmm?

Read the Argus article that 'Ucks is so proud of:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...705270335/1001

One quote for the road:
                        Because of the nine-figure benchmark set by USD, Muenster said he expects South Dakota State University to try to match that in the future.
                        I actually expect SDSU to blow that benchmark away.

Comment

Considering it took us less than half of the projected time to raise 50-million in President Miller's initiative a few years ago.

See that's the difference between our schools... we actually have LEADERS at our helm, not washed-up politicians!
                          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

The Visions campaign ran at SDSU from 1993 to 1998 and was basically a five year campaign. As I remember the goal was 50 million which did make and exceeded. Also USD started thinking about a campaign after they saw what SDSU had a acompolished.

The Vison Campaign counted only cold cash received and did not count pledges that were not supported with a written agreement. It also did not include estate planning as people have the right to change their minds and often do. Also what number would you use in terms of tabulating value of estate planning? You would need to see a personal financial statement to get an approximate number unless the prospective donor specified a number such as 1 million or even 5 thousand.

The big point besides not mentioning D1, was the campaign ran for 8 years. Also without Denny Sanford, the goal setting would have been at a lower number. Ted Muenster's comment at the end of the article is intended to stir the pot. I dont think the SDSU Foundation is all worked up about the 134 million and trying to top it. I think SDSU Foundation board members are more motivated to work for the current needs at SDSU and not what USD has done or is going to do.

Comment

UCKS has a point in that SDSU's football stadium needs improving. It could be improved and, I suspect, eventually will be improved (I hope). Short of demolition, the confined dump that USD plays in can only be superficially improved. Kind of like putting lipstick on a pig. The Coyotes will be stuck with that little storage bin for decades to come, which will play to SDSU's advantage and the advantage of every other school in the region.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

That's part of the facilities plan, if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't worry about USD giving us a hard time on our facilities... how many years has it taken for their Medical School and Student Union to get completed? That's what you get when failed politicians (Abbot and Muenster) run a school!
                                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                                X