Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When smack was smack and real fur flu

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    (By the way, massive kudos to the Cheer Squad for last night's snappy, zippy, CORRECT rendition of State Cadence during a second-half timeout of the IUPUI game. Keep it going, guys!)
    We had a heart-to-heart discussion with the captain of one of the cheer squads, and he said "we will do it as fast as you want it", and he has been good to his word. I hope he (Austin) will be back next year. The current problem is that there are two different cheer squads. If the two are out there together, or Austin's crew is out there, we get a great State Cadence. We haven't yet gotten to the other squad, which continues with a 1 (wait 30 seconds) a 2, etc. Maddning enough that I won't participate!

Comment

Re: When smack was smack and real fur flu

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      Oakland and USD are essentially the same team. Nitty-gritty details vary, but the overall style is very similar.

Obligatory, rivalry-history smack:
      (Sung to the tune of Cornell's alma mater, itself sung to the tune of a ditty which, according to Wikipedia, is about someone dying of tuberculosis (1)):
      "Far across the plains of Brookings,
      Far as I can see,
      Stands an old abandoned outhouse,
      Called the university.
      It's at Vermillion!
      A question: Do any of you know when this song started up at SDSU? We(NDSU) have a song with very similar lyrics but a different melody and I'm wondering who stole from whom or if we both stole it from someone else. (just for the sake of curiosity) If I had to guess, I'm thinking we stole it from you. Our version's lyrics have shifted slightly over the years, and everyone is convinced their version is the correct one. Normally it's some hybrid of the following two versions. Old timers follow the song with an incredibly vulgar chant called "Bison Once, Bison Twice" that has never been written down and varies more from decade to decade than the host song.

Older: (1960's?)
      Far across the plains of Fargo
      Standing there for all to see
      Lies an old abandoned outhouse
      And they call it UND.

Hail the Bison, Hail the Bison
      With their tails up in the air
      University, university
      You can kiss what's under there.

Newer:
      On the plains of North Dakota
      Standing there for all to see
      Stands an old abandoned outhouse
      That they call the university.

Hail the Bison, Hail the Bison
      With their tails up in the air
      University, university
      Sioux can kiss what's under there.

I'm also curious about your alma mater. It shouldn't be much of a surprise that our names are so similar. Ours is also original as well as our two fight songs: On Bison(primary) and Fight Song(secondary). Yes, that's a really original title for the second one.

"The Yellow and the Green"(1908)

Ho! a cheer for Green and Yellow,
      Up with Yellow and the Green;
      They’re the shades that deck our prairies
      Far and wide with glorious sheen,
      Fields of waving green in springtime,
      Golden yellow in the fall
      How the great high-arching heaven
      Looks and laughs upon it all!

Comment

Working...
      X