Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poor little Augie doggies

Originally posted by Chains View Post
    Have some balls Augie fans. If your going to cheer against the Jacks as least put your auggie attire on for the occassion. Auggie will have had more fans at the summit cheering against the Jacks than they will have in Wayne cheering for Auggie.

I hope we sent them home UNHAPPY!

GBGBGJ
    Its bush league and damn lame that kids attending a DII university in SD would cheer for a team playing against South Dakota State for a chance at the Summit League title and a NCAA tourney bid. I would go on a long rant but it isn't worth it. The have nots tend to dislike the haves and that is what leads to behavior like this. If you want to see it another way go ahead but don't try to convince me otherwise. Punk move by a bunch of punk kids who are likely the offspring of similar people. I was sitting very near them and when they didn't clap for or recognize the school song and then when they went with the "who's got the rabbit" chant I knew something was up.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      Its bush league and damn lame that kids attending a DII university in SD would cheer for a team playing against South Dakota State for a chance at the Summit League title and a NCAA tourney bid. I would go on a long rant but it isn't worth it. The have nots tend to dislike the haves and that is what leads to behavior like this. If you want to see it another way go ahead but don't try to convince me otherwise. Punk move by a bunch of punk kids who are likely the offspring of similar people. I was sitting very near them and when they didn't clap for or recognize the school song and then when they went with the "who's got the rabbit" chant I knew something was up.
      They are college kids and they got free t-shirts. Have you SEEN how people react to cheerleaders throwing t-shirts?
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        They are college kids and they got free t-shirts. Have you SEEN how people react to cheerleaders throwing t-shirts?
        I have. Its still bush league. Doesn't mean I'm upset that they did it just calling a spade a spade. I was temporarily baffled when I saw the number of student fans that all the sudden showed up. I was too distracted by the game to think much about it, even when the "Who's got the rabbit" chant started. At first I was amused and then more or less annoyed, especially as SDSU fell further and further behind.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

mini-rant mode on/

The persistent antipathy/resentment towards WIU's little stunt continues to astonish me . . . I fail to understand why students from another area college should necessarily show robotic allegiance to SDSU. Perhaps I'm missing something.

I thought that patch of purple shirts in the corner added a lot to the Arena atmosphere. Sure, I'd have preferred that those students actually be from Western Illinois. We'll need to work with them on that for the future.

As I understand it, the Augie kids got fed, they got tickets into the game, SDSU won, it's all good.

Frankly, IMHO continuing to grump on this little episode makes SDSU fans sound kinda like hypersensitive, royal dickweeds. Again, IMHO.

Sorry, but this is kinda starting to piss me off a bit. Some of y'all need to switch to decaf.

Carry on.

/mini-rant mode off
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            mini-rant mode on/

The persistent antipathy/resentment towards WIU's little stunt continues to astonish me . . . I fail to understand why students from another area college should necessarily show robotic allegiance to SDSU. Perhaps I'm missing something.

I thought that patch of purple shirts in the corner added a lot to the Arena atmosphere. Sure, I'd have preferred that those students actually be from Western Illinois. We'll need to work with them on that for the future.

As I understand it, the Augie kids got fed, they got tickets into the game, SDSU won, it's all good.

Frankly, IMHO continuing to grump on this little episode makes SDSU fans sound kinda like hypersensitive, royal dickweeds. Again, IMHO.

Sorry, but this is kinda starting to piss me off a bit. Some of y'all need to switch to decaf.

Carry on.

/mini-rant mode off
            Respect your rant and don't necessarily disagree. Expressing some of the views of those around me at the game. Those around me happen to be some prominent former SDSU athletes and alums. Not that Filbert isn't one of those, he certainly is.

I don't think its hypersensitive or dickweedish, just an opinion expressed on a forum.

I don't drink caffeine.

Comment

mini-rant mode on/

I don't think most of the people expressing their opinions on this topic are saying the Augie (or other area schools) students have to show a robotic allegiance. But I think the displeasure is due to the profound "anti-allegiance" that the Augie Students showed.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                I don't think most of the people expressing their opinions on this topic are saying the Augie (or other area schools) students have to show a robotic allegiance. But I think the displeasure is due to the profound "anti-allegiance" that the Augie Students showed.
                See, that's what I don't get. The kids went to Augie, not SDSU. Why should we necessarily expect them to root for SDSU--especially if WIU goes out and recruits them, gives them shirts and food and tickets and stuff? They basically got bribed, I guess, but so what? It's not exactly a surprise that college students will do almost anything for a t-shirt and a free meal, is it?

Well, whatever. If people want to be upset about this, I can't stop 'em. I think it's silly, but I can't stop 'em.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

See, that's what I don't get. The kids went to Augie, not SDSU. Why should we necessarily expect them to root for SDSU--especially if WIU goes out and recruits them, gives them shirts and food and tickets and stuff? They basically got bribed, I guess, but so what? It's not exactly a surprise that college students will do almost anything for a t-shirt and a free meal, is it?

Well, whatever. If people want to be upset about this, I can't stop 'em. I think it's silly, but I can't stop 'em.
                  I'm with you. A lot of people on here have contempt for Augie (before this) yet we are surprised that Augie students don't bow down to SDSU? Also, the college students will do anything for free stuff point can not be said enough.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

^^^^ This

Still baffled by the response to this "incident," especially by board members who follow college athletics. There isn't anything surprising about what happened, and nothing really offensive about it imo.

And yes, college kids will do a lot of things for free stuff. The number of kids who have signed up for credit cards just to get a free shirt or poster would blow some people's minds.
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

Wanted to stay away from this discussion. I find I have to ask a question.

Have we considered how many students and alumni of Augustana Univ were at the game cheering for the Jacks? How would that number compare to the number hired to cheer for WIU? Will this sniping have an affect on those cheering for the Jacks?

OK, that was three questions.
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

and meanwhile over on the WIU site they are complaining about being in the Summit, wishing they could move to the Horizon or MVC, and debating the conference tournament site should be the Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids Ia or a suburb of Chicago and not having their pep band at the games, least of their concerns is hiring students to cheer for them.

Comment

Let's see... up until about 10 years ago, Augie was a hated rival of SDSU. Does that change just because we're Division One?

Some people are whining about how Augie students are being immature because they wore WIU t-shirts and cheered against SDSU. Have you EVER known a college student to be rational and mature when it comes to sports?

As for all the caterwauling about what Augie's students did... WHO CARES!!! Personally, I thought it was funny!
                          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                            and meanwhile over on the WIU site they are complaining about being in the Summit, wishing they could move to the Horizon or MVC, and debating the conference tournament site should be the Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids Ia or a suburb of Chicago and not having their pep band at the games, least of their concerns is hiring students to cheer for them.
                            Is that the same site that became tainted when Lakesbison started posting over there during the championship game, calling Nate, Natalie and a sissy? I just LMAO when i read that.

Comment

Yes, same site. But, don't be too hard on the site itself when it became infected with that human virus. They probably weren't aware the virus existed. Most sites have been immunized so the virus is running out of hosts where he can complain and address his weird obsession with Nate. Of course, having the season Nate and his team have had is the best way to eradicate that virus.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                Yes, same site. But, don't be too hard on the site itself when it became infected with that human virus. They probably weren't aware the virus existed. Most sites have been immunized so the virus is running out of hosts where he can complain and address his weird obsession with Nate. Of course, having the season Nate and his team have had is the best way to eradicate that virus.
                                After reading this, just for the heck of it I went back and looked at the championship game thread on the WIU board. And if wasn't for the poster you referenced above (i.e. the Bison fan "virus" banned here and elsewhere) there would have barely been a game thread on that WIU board. So you had the spectacle of a "fan" of an eliminated team almost single-handedly keeping up the game-day thread on another school's Web site. What a life.

That thread made me realize one thing we might have overlooked when he was infecting this site: It's not just the obnoxous behavior. Bottom line, he doesn't know the game. His in-game posts during the WIU-SDSU game were perpetual contradictions: One post would be about the need for WIU to hit a three, then the very next post would scream about WIU not pounding the paint. (Maybe it's come down to debating himself on the forums where he hasn't yet been banned).
                                He had a post saying he'd just gotten kicked off the Argus game chat. I wasn't following during championship game; does anyone know if the ban came after the usual stupid and insulting posts, or did TV just do a pre-emptive strike?
                                It's just too bad that myopic creeps like this think that they can make points only by marring civil, spirited sports discussions with vulgarity and personal attacks on athletes.
                                We probably all knew one or two dolts like this in college, but they usually grow up and grow out of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X