Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forget rivalry games, D2 fans are NUTS!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forget rivalry games, D2 fans are NUTS!!!

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Who cares what fans of DII programs think? Who cares what players on those teams think? You play the game against the team that is on the field and one team wins.

There are different levels to allow for competition in a relative spectrum. Only the less intelligent or naive person would suggest that top teams from lower levels would compete immediately at the higher level. These same people would suggest that a single victory by USD over the Gophers or USF over UND equates with competing at the higher level.

I recall the day when USD made the DII playoffs exclusively because of the defection of the top programs from the NCC/DII. Some people refused and still refused to recognize the relativity of that accomplishment. It now applies to Augie. They hadn't been in the playoffs for 30 years and now, DII is relatively less competitive and here they are.

I also recall Bison fans chirping about a bowl game and FCS domination after there first season at the DI level. It doesn't come that easy.

It's called logic and some people need to use it.

I know that this will be received with much ire, but we need a cupcake to start the season with and Augie fans are puffing their chests at their accomplishments. Why don't we schedule one of the area schools for the first game each year. You know, just so that they can remember that they are still small time compared to the DI schools in the area.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      I know that this will be received with much ire, but we need a cupcake to start the season with and Augie fans are puffing their chests at their accomplishments. Why don't we schedule one of the area schools for the first game each year. You know, just so that they can remember that they are still small time compared to the DI schools in the area.
      I'm not trying to say they are small time. Just that it is a different level of play. I have family friends who plays for USF, Augie and Northern. Its a great opportunity for them and for all the players and their families. Keep in mind, the issue regarding any conflict wasn't raised by fans of the FCS programs.

As for scheduling non-DI teams, they don't count towards playoff eligibility and therefore are not an option in my opinion. It isn't about getting easy wins its about winning games that count. I don't necessarily disagree with the premise that our schedule has been too hard. I prefer the solution be an improvement in our talent and preparation as opposed to seeking out "cupcake" games as some call them. My concern? Sometimes our teams haven't prepared for these so-called "cupcake" games therefore making them even more of a bad idea.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        Your south dakota boys on the roster, wish they were jacks.
        Coulter Boyer, yes. The other three or four? Who cares?
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          I'm not trying to say they are small time. Just that it is a different level of play. I have family friends who plays for USF, Augie and Northern. Its a great opportunity for them and for all the players and their families. Keep in mind, the issue regarding any conflict wasn't raised by fans of the FCS programs.

As for scheduling non-DI teams, they don't count towards playoff eligibility and therefore are not an option in my opinion. It isn't about getting easy wins its about winning games that count. I don't necessarily disagree with the premise that our schedule has been too hard. I prefer the solution be an improvement in our talent and preparation as opposed to seeking out "cupcake" games as some call them. My concern? Sometimes our teams haven't prepared for these so-called "cupcake" games therefore making them even more of a bad idea.
          I guess I didn't mean "small time" as a derogatoy term. I think that anyone that is able to play sports past their high school days should be respected. I merely meant that it would be nice to expose the fans to the difference in the game at the next level. Plus, I think that some of those players would love to play the USDs and SDSUs of the world.

I would rather play down to start the year than play up during the year. What did playing Nebraska do for us this year? Sure it gave us a great feeling about how the team played, but that lost a little bit of luster when it continued a losing streak. Play a lower level team in CAS to start the season. IF the team can't get up for the game, then it is on the coaching staff. Stop putting this team at a disadvantage. They haven't had an in-season bye week in two years.

Comment

I guess I didn't mean "small time" as a derogatoy term. I think that anyone that is able to play sports past their high school days should be respected. I merely meant that it would be nice to expose the fans to the difference in the game at the next level. Plus, I think that some of those players would love to play the USDs and SDSUs of the world.

I would rather play down to start the year than play up during the year. What did playing Nebraska do for us this year? Sure it gave us a great feeling about how the team played, but that lost a little bit of luster when it continued a losing streak. Play a lower level team in CAS to start the season. IF the team can't get up for the game, then it is on the coaching staff. Stop putting this team at a disadvantage. They haven't had an in-season bye week in two years.
            The Nebraska game also came with a nice paycheck, something the entire athletic dept appreciates.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

We played Nebraska for money. No surprise there. We also got some great publicity, not to mention visibility to potential recruits. Both those things were enhanced because we played them well.

I agree that we need cupcakes, just D1 cupcakes. IMO, the only way we can do that without a return game,is to up our season ticket sales a bunch. That would allow us to offer a decent guarantee.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                Tell those dipsh*ts to go to a FCS game in person, preferably not USD versus Khloe Kardashian's husband.

Domino is the size of Augie's d-ends and is about .5 seconds faster in the 40. NDSU's d-line would make Augie, UMD or whoever's o-line wish they were watching from the sidelines.

Size and speed. I've watched Augie in person since the move to D-1. The difference in size and speed is laughable.

Lightning can strike now and then for those lower level schools. If they played a full FCS schedule with their rosters, they would be down to scout teamers playing by the end of the year.
                I've seen Augie twice this year. There is definitely a big difference in speed and size. I would say, though, that Tyler Schulte would be a star on pretty much any team in the Dakotas. The kid is a gamer.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

As mentioned NE equals money for the Athletic Dept plus some great publicity for the school and team. Scheduling down a division is not an option we can afford unless it is a 12 game year. Look at Montana this year. Because of the cupcake win over Western State to open the year they are in jeopardy of not having 7 D1 wins and are in a must win situation Saturday. Something the Griz are not used to. If I had to guess they will be addressing the issue in future years and dropping the D2 game for a larger payout to a lesser D1 school. Indiana State is another example. They are listed at 6-3 but two of those wins are D2 teams which do not count towards playoff eligibility. We would be better off getting in a D1 school from a weak conference (NEC, MEAC, PFL). Look at NDSU, Morgan State this year Wagner last year. Now we need the money to be able to pay these schools to come to Brookings (see Nebraska game and more donations).

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                    As mentioned NE equals money for the Athletic Dept plus some great publicity for the school and team. Scheduling down a division is not an option we can afford unless it is a 12 game year. Look at Montana this year. Because of the cupcake win over Western State to open the year they are in jeopardy of not having 7 D1 wins and are in a must win situation Saturday. Something the Griz are not used to. If I had to guess they will be addressing the issue in future years and dropping the D2 game for a larger payout to a lesser D1 school. Indiana State is another example. They are listed at 6-3 but two of those wins are D2 teams which do not count towards playoff eligibility. We would be better off getting in a D1 school from a weak conference (NEC, MEAC, PFL). Look at NDSU, Morgan State this year Wagner last year. Now we need the money to be able to pay these schools to come to Brookings (see Nebraska game and more donations).
                    This year the Jacks didn't bring in a guarantee game to start the year which lead to not having a bye duing the season when the team probably really needed it. Now, we will have our final game of the year on November 20th with no shot at the playoffs and due to apathy in the fanbase we will be lucky to draw 5000. I think that a DII game to start the season looks pretty good to me right now.

Comment

This year the Jacks didn't bring in a guarantee game to start the year which lead to not having a bye duing the season when the team probably really needed it. Now, we will have our final game of the year on November 20th with no shot at the playoffs and due to apathy in the fanbase we will be lucky to draw 5000. I think that a DII game to start the season looks pretty good to me right now.

Hindsight is always 20/20. If we would've scheduled said d-2 game and had a bye, won two more games, that puts us at 6-4. Win against UND and we are still 6-4 in the playoff committee's eye's and out of the playoffs picture just like Montana will be once Montana St. finishes them off this wknd.

Go Jacks!!
                      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

You know who I would really love us to schedule, a PFL team like Drake or Dayton or Butler. Good warm up game, would be a counter, and I wouldn't have to hear their fan bitching about how good they are after playing nobody.
                        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by TheBisonator View Post
                          Thanks. That guy Tyrel Kool?? Man, wish he was a Bison.
                          Thanks! You'll definitely see him more next year as they continually hand him the ball.
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Working...
                          X