What is it about Yote fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is it about Yote fans?

Well, at one time SDSU was the "West Point of the Prairie" so . . . I'm not sure which pompous nickname came first . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Wasn't USD-Springfield called "Heartland's Attica"?
      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I heard that the USD administration was trying to adopt the "SDSU of Southeastern South Dakota" but nobody was buying it.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          I heard that the USD administration was trying to adopt the "SDSU of Southeastern South Dakota" but nobody was buying it.
          Even more comical, USD's administration once launched a full scale marketing program with the tagline "South Dakota's Team." Nobody outside the president's office bought that one either.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            Well, at one time SDSU was the "West Point of the Prairie" so . . . I'm not sure which pompous nickname came first . . .
            The West Point came much before Harvard of the Praries. College on the Hill might give a some clues. Omar Bradley being the professor of Military Science might have something to do with this.

Comment

And another: College on the Hill. There's a nickname with little to no basis in reality.

Comment

There's a hill in Vermillion? Bluffs don't count. Neither do highway overpasses.

Comment

"College on the Hill" is the name of VJ Smith's collection of SDSU anecdotes and remembrances.

Comment

A 1941 Collegian article referred to SDSC as the West Point of the Prairies based on the number of ROTC grads that went on to military careers. A 1953 Collegian article misquoted the '41 article as "West Point of the Plains" and in 1983 the SDSU battalion adopted the name "West Point of the Plains Battalion"

So there is at least *some* legitimacy to the nickname.

BTW: Did you know that Omar Bradley was an assistant football coach while at SDSU?

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      Well actually the difference is that the SDSU Army ROTC Battalion is actually and officially known at the West Point of the Plains Battalion. It has been since 1984.

http://armyrotc.com/edu/sdstate/history.htm

In early 1984, I was officially designated the West Point of the Plains Battalion, Buffalo Brigade, US Army Fourth ROTC Region.

The title was originally bestowed on SDSU by General Omar Bradley

http://armyrotc.com/edu/sdstate/about.htm

The Military Science Department at SDSU, has been instilling these values in cadets for over a century. General Omar Bradley was a former Professor of Military Science here at SDSU. Although he is more well known as being the commander of the largest field force in military history during World War II, and the first ever Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, it was he who dubbed SDSU Army ROTC "The West Point of the Plains". This title is still used frequently and proudly by all of its members past and present.

So unlike our friends to the South, SDSU's ROTC Battalion didn't just proclaim themselves the West Point of Plains and it is official.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        "College on the Hill" is the name of VJ Smith's collection of SDSU anecdotes and remembrances.
                        "College on the Hill" would more correctly be described as a historic overview of South Dakota State University written by Amy Dunkle with V.J. Smith.

V.J.'s book "Jackrabbit Tales" is more of a collection of SDSU anecdotes and remembrances. For the record.

Go State!

Comment

This thread is the single best case for renewing the rivalry in all sports as soon as possible IF for no other reason than stopping this thread;

Can we squeeze in a fb game the week of UND?

(And can someone catch me up on what the Grand Forksers will be calling themselves when they come calling?)

Apologize in advance to the Drift Police...

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                            This thread is the single best case for renewing the rivalry in all sports as soon as possible IF for no other reason than stopping this thread;

Can we squeeze in a fb game the week of UND?

(And can someone catch me up on what the Grand Forksers will be calling themselves when they come calling?)

Apologize in advance to the Drift Police...
                            And what should UND's new nickname be?

I came up with another one tonight . . .

The North Dakota Fighting Stoats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoat
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

hey. Not sure if you've heard this...but supposedly the Yotes beat Minnesota a few weeks back?

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                                hey. Not sure if you've heard this...but supposedly the Yotes beat Minnesota a few weeks back?
                                So has everyone elso they played, alas.

Comment

Working...
                                X