This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D1 Pendulum Swinging Hard From Blue to Red

Now the Jacks will be the Game Of The Year for the Bison and Coyotes. Oh, joy (he said sarcastically). Maybe we should lobby UNO, Morningside, St. Cloud, Mankato and Augie to get into the MVFC conference too (again, sarcasm).
    This space for lease.

Comment

I played at USD in the early 90's and the Game of the Year was not against the Jacks. We were way more excited to play UND and NDSU. NDSU was the top dog in the conference. UND was for the Sitting Bull trophy. The SDSU game was just another game between two average to bad teams.

The old NCC had a lot of history and bitter rivals. The era one played probably dictates who the most intense rivalry was with. More than likely, though, it was probably one of the Dakota Four that was considered your rival. Augie and Morningside were just annoying little lap dogs.

Comment

OK, so it wasn't a big deal to you then. What about the fans in Vermillion and the students? I'd be curious to see the attendance numbers for SDSU games vs. every other game on the schedule in Vermillion. Now, this isn't true for USD basketball because I believe they draw well. I'm only speaking about football. I can't tell you how many people I know from USD that said they only went to a handful of games during their college years. These are guys that are football fans in general in relation to major college and the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
          I played at USD in the early 90's and the Game of the Year was not against the Jacks. We were way more excited to play UND and NDSU. NDSU was the top dog in the conference. UND was for the Sitting Bull trophy. The SDSU game was just another game between two average to bad teams.

The old NCC had a lot of history and bitter rivals. The era one played probably dictates who the most intense rivalry was with. More than likely, though, it was probably one of the Dakota Four that was considered your rival. Augie and Morningside were just annoying little lap dogs.
          Are you sure you didn't play for SDSU? This is they way most of our guys felt. As for the fans, well I'm pretty sure attendance was still greater for the USD game.

Biggest factor, time of the year. I'm guessing late season games against UND and NDSU were more poorly attended than late season games against USD.

The point, the rivalry means more to the casual fan than to the coaches, players, and the well-informed fan. I think that is perfectly ok and can be used to the advantage or disadvantage of the institution/program.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
            Knuckleheads? Oh well.............

That game was the final one of the year. Western Illinois came into the game ranked and needed a win to secure a playoff berth. There were (2) Sioux City Central players on that team, one was named Greg Lee and the other I can't remember. Regardless, the game was not called because of Frat Boys, or Fans.

With 2 minutes and change remaining, our strong safety intercepted a pass and started running down the "visitor" sidelines. I actually blocked what I thought was the last guy and I looked behind to watch his butt run by me. But it never happened. In fact, seconds later, I was surrounded by their players as well as our strong safety. As he was running down the sidelines, someone from the Western Illinois bench came onto the field and tackled him. A brief fight erupted, only between players. The refs the called the game as emotions were running high. There wasn't another play run. So there was 2 plus minutes left and we had the ball (should have been a touchdown).

That's the story. Sorry, no bad apple USD fans or frat boys. Just players and coaches.
            I see, the word going through the Complex was wrong. The people in the fight not in uniform were coaches. Got it.
            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post

1. I can see why a Yote player might not want to remember those games. Jacks won seven of eight over USD from '90-'94 (remember some years the teams played twice).
              2. Define "bad" teams, please. Jacks were 7-3, 7-3, 7-4, 7-4 and 6-5 through those five years.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                1. I can see why a Yote player might not want to remember those games. Jacks won seven of eight over USD from '90-'94 (remember some years the teams played twice).
                2. Define "bad" teams, please. Jacks were 7-3, 7-3, 7-4, 7-4 and 6-5 through those five years.

Bad would be USD's record of 19-34 from '90-'94. And, in Coyote land they are alwayd better than the Jacks. So in Coyote land bad would also be 34-19, SDSU's record during that period.
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                  Bad would be USD's record of 19-34 from '90-'94. And, in Coyote land they are alwayd better than the Jacks. So in Coyote land bad would also be 34-19, SDSU's record during that period.
                  In coyote land road games don't count so you have to go back and include only games played in the dome, then compare the records.

Oh yeah, you also forget that the coyotes made the DII playoff much more recently than SDSU ever did. Doesn't matter that the best teams on the schedule that use to beat them every year all left DII for DI. Simply a matter of coincidence.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    In coyote land road games don't count so you have to go back and include only games played in the dome, then compare the records.
                    A very fresh and creative retort!
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                      A very fresh and creative retort!
                      Smart ass grad students. I don't have all day to think up new stuff, cut me some slack or you won' get any favors from me (not that you're looking for any).

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Smart ass grad students. I don't have all day to think up new stuff, cut me some slack or you won' get any favors from me (not that you're looking for any).
                        How bout a "check up" on the house? ;-)

Comment

I don't think, after the year EITHER team has had, EITHER teams fans can talk AT ALL about a D1 Pendulum.

Unless of course, you're talking about the D1 pendulum that 7 teams on the 'Yotes schedule and 6 teams on the Jacks schedule ripped out of both teams hands and promptly shoved, with a vengeance up both Charlies and Jacks asses.

Thats what I think happened to the "D1 Pendulum".
                          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                            I don't think, after the year EITHER team has had, EITHER teams fans can talk AT ALL about a D1 Pendulum.

Unless of course, you're talking about the D1 pendulum that 7 teams on the 'Yotes schedule and 6 teams on the Jacks schedule ripped out of both teams hands and promptly shoved, with a vengeance up both Charlies and Jacks asses.

Good point, both teams dissappointed their respective fan bases this last season, not much to brag about.
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post

When this thread first started, I thought to myself, oh my god, this is going to come back into CF's face big time. And it did.

Rowdy, in all candor, I couldn't have worded it better. On our board, the word of the day regarding football is FRUSTRATION. Deeply frustrating, but your language makes much more sense. Not a good year for either school.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                                When this thread first started, I thought to myself, oh my god, this is going to come back into CF's face big time. And it did.

Rowdy, in all candor, I couldn't have worded it better. On our board, the word of the day regarding football is FRUSTRATION. Deeply frustrating, but your language makes much more sense. Not a good year for either school.

What's good about this, not to be rosy-colored glasses guy here, is that people are not satisfied with almost good enough or average. I fully expect the Marker to be back in its rightful place is approximately 12 months and the Jacks to be in the playoffs where they belong.

Comment

Working...
                                X