Vikings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vikings

I'm in agreement with JimmyJack. I don't know if it's Childress, Wilf, or Speilman who is to blame, or all 3 combined. But the fact that the Chiefs got Cassel for far less than anyone thought and the Vikes "settle" for Rosenfels makes me sick.

According to local news T.J. Houshmandadeh was touring the Vikings training facility and being woo'ed by the Vikings brass Saturday night. He said he wants to play with a team that has a good running game, and playing with Adrian Peterson would be fun. But would he want to play for a team that has Sage or T-Jack throwing the ball? Doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
      I'm in agreement with JimmyJack. I don't know if it's Childress, Wilf, or Speilman who is to blame, or all 3 combined. But the fact that the Chiefs got Cassel for far less than anyone thought and the Vikes "settle" for Rosenfels makes me sick.

According to local news T.J. Houshmandadeh was touring the Vikings training facility and being woo'ed by the Vikings brass Saturday night. He said he wants to play with a team that has a good running game, and playing with Adrian Peterson would be fun. But would he want to play for a team that has Sage or T-Jack throwing the ball? Doubt it.
      I didn't know about Houshmandadeh. He'd be a good get to start opposite Berrian. Problem is, nobody can get the ball to them. Imagine what Peterson would do if the Vikings were truly a run-pass threat on every down.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        OK, so apparently Matt Cassel was available (traded to KC Chiefs today, along with Mike Vrabel for a second round choice) but the Vikes got Sage Rosenfels for a fourth rounder... are you KIDDING me?

If there was ever any doubt that Chilly is a complete idiot, this should prove it. The Vikings are a QB away from being a Super Bowl contender and they don't go after the one proven, young QB talent available. Instead we get another journeyman who I will refer to as Gus Frerotte II. Who's next? The return of Shaun Hill?

Seriously. Would anybody here take Rosenfels over Cassel? You certainly can't argue that a second round pick was too much to give for Cassel. He's a steal at that price.

Chilly is going to drive me crazy.
        That ship has sailed a long time ago for me, I've been hoping he'd be fired for two seasons now.

Comment

Put me in the boat that I'm not sure if Cassell is "proven."

He started 10 games since high school, and all of those games in an offensive system he'd been in for 4 years. Also, he was throwing the ball to Randy Moss and Wes Welker. That's gotta help. Since he's going to be with Pioli again, I don't think he'll be a bust, but I don't think his numbers will the same as last year. Put him in an offense that he doesn't know (such as the Vikings' offense) and I think he would have been a flat out bust.

All that being said, Sage Rosenfells isn't the answer either. But he was cheaper to aquire and has a less expensive contract.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I think there are 8 or 9 million reasons per year why Rosenfels was traded for over Cassel.This will allow them to go after a few other better free agents.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
              I agree RO. I do not understand why these guys get huge deals after one year of success. I think it is hilarious that the idiot Browns gave Derek Anderson a huge payday after one year of success. Last year he didn't do crap. I say make Matt Cassell do it for two or three years in a row and then give him the big money.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                I agree RO. I do not understand why these guys get huge deals after one year of success. I think it is hilarious that the idiot Browns gave Derek Anderson a huge payday after one year of success. Last year he didn't do crap. I say make Matt Cassell do it for two or three years in a row and then give him the big money.
                Derek Anderson was EXACTLY who I was thinking of. Man, the Browns butchered that one. I hate the Pats as much as anyone, but I can't deny they are one of the most well run teams in the league. They got a high second rounder out of a career back up.

Comment

Derek Anderson was EXACTLY who I was thinking of. Man, the Browns butchered that one. I hate the Pats as much as anyone, but I can't deny they are one of the most well run teams in the league. They got a high second rounder out of a career back up.
                  Don't forget a career backup that was set to make $14,000,000 next year.
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                    Don't forget a career backup that was set to make $14,000,000 next year.
                    You are right about the career backup.He never started at USC,and the qb's he backed up there haven't exactly set the NFL on fire.

Comment

He started 10 games since high school, and all of those games in an offensive system he'd been in for 4 years. Also, he was throwing the ball to Randy Moss and Wes Welker. That's gotta help. Since he's going to be with Pioli again, I don't think he'll be a bust, but I don't think his numbers will the same as last year. Put him in an offense that he doesn't know (such as the Vikings' offense) and I think he would have been a flat out bust.

All that being said, Sage Rosenfells isn't the answer either. But he was cheaper to aquire and has a less expensive contract.
                      He was 11-5 last year. 4,000 yards passing. 23 TDs and 13 ints. Plus 270 yards rushing and 2 TDs. That's 11-5 in a much tougher division than the NFC North.

So basically we know he has potential to be a very good starter. We know no such thing about Rosenfels. In fact we know exactly the opposite. He's a journeyman who has thrown for 4,000 yards in SEVEN YEARS. He's basically another Brooks Bollinger.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

He was 11-5 last year. 4,000 yards passing. 23 TDs and 13 ints. Plus 270 yards rushing and 2 TDs. That's 11-5 in a much tougher division than the NFC North.

So basically we know he has potential to be a very good starter. We know no such thing about Rosenfels. In fact we know exactly the opposite. He's a journeyman who has thrown for 4,000 yards in SEVEN YEARS. He's basically another Brooks Bollinger.
                        Agree to disagree. He threw to Moss and Welker. He had FOUR years to learn that system. I hope he was good after all of that. I don't think he'll be too good this year. Especially for what his price tag was.

Comment

I really don't think it matters who the Vikings bring in for QB as long as they have the same offensive coordinator and head coach in place and Bobby Wade as the second option at wide reciever. Tarvaris' numbers really weren't all that bad last season as he had 9 TD's against only 2 INT's.

Until they open up the offensive playbook and add a capable #2 option at reciever they will never have a passing game to scare opponents, thats not always the quarterbacks fault.

Comment

I suspect many of us can at least agree that Chilly hasn't been much of a coach. He's responsible for the lame offense. He seems to think Bobby Wade is a fine second option at WR. Even last season, he forgot at times that Adrian Peterson was in the backfield.

Give Leslie Frazier a chance.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I suspect many of us can at least agree that Chilly hasn't been much of a coach. He's responsible for the lame offense. He seems to think Bobby Wade is a fine second option at WR. Even last season, he forgot at times that Adrian Peterson was in the backfield.

Give Leslie Frazier a chance.
                              Yep. I've watched a lot of Vikings games the past couple years and watching Childress try to run the two minute drill is like watching my grandma try to run a computer. It ain't pretty. No offense to my grandma, who I love.

Comment

Here is the thing that bothers me, well at least intrigues me a little, doesn't it seem odd that New England gave em up for so little in return? Supposedly all the "insiders" said they would get much, much more for Cassel alone. Now, they may have been completely wrong, but most of them said that they would get one first day pick and at least one or two more 2nd day picks and that was without Vrabel thrown in. I also don't buy the fact that New England didn't want a first round pick because of the money involved in signing the pick (Don Banks, I think, argued that on SI.com). NE has a great history of taking 1st round picks and trading down on draft day to get more picks so that they keep reloading and not having to rebuild. It just seems odd to me.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X