Twins pennant race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Twins pennant race

I agree with you on the "possible flurries" thing, next year it will be worse because the world series will be played in November, and I don't think that even requires them to go to a game 7 and the reason for that is because MLB wants to start the World Series on a Saturday so they give each team something like 18 days off in their playoff run, which is completely pointless since these teams are use to playing every day not every other day or even every third day in some cases.

I do agree with you about watching College more than the Pros, the only professional sport I watch religiously is baseball, I will miss the NFL (especially with the way the Vikings are playing) but I will not miss a day of college football, especially if it's the Irish. I don't watch the NBA, it's a joke, but I watch NCAA basketball constantly
    Last edited by mango4; 09-30-2008, 04:41 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by tdhummel View Post
      I still don't like the coin flip for who gets home field. I think it should be whoever had the better head to head during the season.
      Yeah, when a guy at work told me that how it was decided I laughed, thinking, "what is this, 4th grade?" But then I remembered football uses the coin flip and then I thought, "what is this, 4th grade?".

And then I told a coworker to smell my red marker because it smelled like cherry, but when he leaned over to smell it, I wrote on his face. I laughed and he said, "what is this, 4th grade?"
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Part of what I love about baseball, is its the only sport not governed by time.

A game could take 1hr 50min to complete, or it could take 6hr 12min to complete.

I love that.
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
          Yeah, when a guy at work told me that how it was decided I laughed, thinking, "what is this, 4th grade?" But then I remembered football uses the coin flip and then I thought, "what is this, 4th grade?".

And then I told a coworker to smell my red marker because it smelled like cherry, but when he leaned over to smell it, I wrote on his face. I laughed and he said, "what is this, 4th grade?"
          Comment of the day! Props to you on that

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
            How can MLB get it wrong so many times (IMO):

1.) Coin Flip for home field in play-in game? (IMO there shouldn't even be a "play-in game")

2.) No salary cap?

3.) Using the All Star game for home field advantage for the World Series?

4.) One Division has a Designated Hitter, one doesn't?

5.) A season that is so long they could eventually play a world series game in a blizzard?

6.) 162 games that on average take 3 hours to complete?

I'm sure I could come up with more, but I know the MLB is the only league where I can come up with so many, un-common-sense rules and decisions.

Sorry to take this thread adrift, but after I heard the Twins where 10 and 8 against the White Sox and have to go to Chicago to play the most important game of the year because a freaking "coin flip"...I have to wonder if Selig and Al Davis aren't roommates.

BTW....Go Twins!!
            I will agree with you that the head to head record should have decided who hosted this game. But I do think having a playoff game is a good idea. It's exciting for the fans and it gives each team a chance to control their own destiny with one game. It's just good for baseball.

I also like the fact that home field advantage for the World Series is decided by the winner of the all-star game. It's gives the guys something to play for. Although they need to address the length of the games since they seem to run out of pitchers on a regular occasion. I always thought something like putting a runner on 2nd if the game goes into extra innings.

I hate the fact that baseball has no salary cap.....doesn't create a level playing field. Look at the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels....etc. Their payrolls are absurd. That is where my dislike of the Yankees comes from. Had more respect when they actually built their teams from their farm system instead of buying all the high priced free agents.

I don't like the designated hitter rule. Shouldn't be one IMO. Call me a purist I guess.

Comment

watching the game tonight, a pitch at the knees was called a strike on Thome, some idiot White Sox fan yelled "It was at the knees!" I'm sitting here thinking, well the strike zone is knees to letters so your point is what?

Comment

Don't even get me started on fair. The White Sox played 9 games against the Dodgers and Cubs. The Twins played 6 against the Brewers. The White Sox played the Angels 10 times the Twins played them 8. The WS played Tampa 10 times the Twins played them 6. The WS played Seattle 6 times the Twins played them 9. The WS played Toronto 8 times the Twins played them 6. They each played Boston 7 times and yes the Twins did play the Yankees 3 more time than the Sox.
                The point is the White Sox have had a significantly more difficult schedule. If this thing were fair the Sox would already be in and not have to even play this stupid game tonight.

Comment

Thome hit that ball a LOOOOOOONG ways.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                    Thome hit that ball a LOOOOOOONG ways.
                    Has it come down yet? Lets see their bullpen.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                      watching the game tonight, a pitch at the knees was called a strike on Thome, some idiot White Sox fan yelled "It was at the knees!" I'm sitting here thinking, well the strike zone is knees to letters so your point is what?
                      Pitches at the letters are now called "balls" for being too high and pitches at the knees are called "balls" for being too low. The ever shrinking strike zone. Maybe that fan knew more than you gave him credit for. Sorry to bust your chops I am a Chicago sports fan go Sox and Cubs.

Comment

Well, there you go. Lost 3 of the last 4 after sweeping the Sox to take a 1/2 game lead. Couldn't score runs when they needed to. Did Mauer lose the batting title based on this game? Do any of these stats count towards regular season performance?
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          Well, there you go. Lost 3 of the last 4 after sweeping the Sox to take a 1/2 game lead. Couldn't score runs when they needed to. Did Mauer lose the batting title based on this game? Do any of these stats count towards regular season performance?
                          I just answered my own question. Stats did count but Mauer would have had to go 0-7 to lose the lead. He didn't get a hit but he only had 4 plate appearances. Another batting title for Joe.

Comment

I think they do. Last year I remember something about Matt Holliday possibly losing the batting title if the Rockies had to play a play-in game. Anyway tough loss for the Twins...gotta hit to win and 2 hits just isn't gonna get it done very often.

So whose everyone going for? I'm gonna hop on the Rays band wagon. Bottom feeder team that finally has a good team. Built it the right way and play the game the right way.

Comment

Good game, didn't expect it to be a 1 to nothing-er, but also didn't think the Twins would pull out a win.

Hard to get through Dye, Thome and Konerko and now Jr that many times without giving up a long ball to one of them....and I do mean, LONG ball.

Not sure I agree with the call to send Cuddyer on the shallow fly....Gomez or Span or Casilla or maybe even Punto, I'd send em, other than that, I'da taken my chances on hitting him in...on the other hand...obviously Gardy knew it was going to be a tight game, and that run would have been huge.

Ah well....guess I'll root root root for the Cubbies.

Comment

Cubs or White Sox my family is split right down the middle. The Sox did win in 05 so I say Cubs over the Pale Hose in 7 games with the 7th game going into extra innings.
                                No, I am not born and raised in Chicago so I can cheer for both.

Comment

Working...
                                X