No announcement yet.

What should the Twins do with Santana?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What should the Twins do with Santana?

I think since the Twins offered him a 4yr/80mil and he turned it down, they should just ditch him now.

I don't care what anyone, including Santana says, if he wanted to be a Twin, he would have signed the offer that was made.

I'm tired of players (agents) thinking they are worth more.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      The only health concerns Santana has had was when he was a rookie they cleaned up bone chips in his elbow and this past season he had a blister.... His record is misunderstood you have to remember the Twins offense was horrible last season and scouts were saying that he was tipping pitches but still had double figures in wins....
      Like I said, Its just a fear. I am also concerned about him getting crushed by the media in New York. He's been coddled in Minnesota, these guys in NY are just pure idiots and can tear a player up (see AROD).
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

The problem is that nearly every long-term contract (longer than three or four years - which are typically 100% guaranteed) in MLB becomes a millstone for the team that agrees to the deal. The Twins, in particualr, can't afford to be paying a broken-down pitcher or OFer (in the case of Hunter) $15-plus mil to not contribute.

It's hard to blame the players because they know that they could be one injury away from going from a $15-20 mil player to a $2-3 mil player...which is why it is in Santana's best interest to secure $100-plus mil in a sign-and-trade deal this winter.

If the Twins trade Santana, they should aim to net two immediate starters (and not of the Punto variety) plus at least one prized prospect. If not, the Twins may need to bite the bullet and creatively sign him to an extension by front-loading the contract or including some option years that kick-in if Santana were to win a couple more Cy Young awards.

Comment

Originally posted by rodrawks View Post
          I think since the Twins offered him a 4yr/80mil and he turned it down, they should just ditch him now.

I don't care what anyone, including Santana says, if he wanted to be a Twin, he would have signed the offer that was made.

I'm tired of players (agents) thinking they are worth more.
          I agree with your sentiments 100% but that doesn't solve any problems. At some point the Twins need to step and make a commitment to keep some of these players that are the core of the team.

There is no doubt that they are going to be asking a substantial amount more for tickets in the new ballpark and there will be increased demand due to the new facility but it is reasonable of the fans to demand that the team (Pohlad) steps up to the place. I have no problem with his running the Twins as "a business". It makes good business sense to lock a guy like Santana down to ensure a quality product for the next several years in the new stadium.

This is one guy that they shouldn't try to get buy on the cheap!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

It seems obvious that any price that Santana would agree to would lock up way to much on one player for the Twins. Pohlad is one of the richest owners in the league, but he didn't get that way by being stupid. It's easy for the Steinbrenner and the Red Sox owner to spend a ton of money because their teams are generating a heck of alot more money than the Twins will ever dream off.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
              It seems obvious that any price that Santana would agree to would lock up way to much on one player for the Twins. Pohlad is one of the richest owners in the league, but he didn't get that way by being stupid. It's easy for the Steinbrenner and the Red Sox owner to spend a ton of money because their teams are generating a heck of alot more money than the Twins will ever dream off.
              I agree in part, the Yanks and Sox are generating a lot more money, but part of the reason for that is that they are putting a more exciting product on the field for the casual fan because they are spending money. I won't argue that they have an advantage with the markets they play in, but the Twins aren't necessarily the perfect example of a small market team either. They have a pretty tight stranglehold on a three to five state region and a very loyal fanbase - those people should be rewarded by putting a little money into the team and keeping some of the stars. If they win and win with some of their home grown veterans, the fans and money will come.

Pohlad has the money, and don't kid yourself, he didn't get it by way of the Twins. He just needs to decide to put some of his bajillion dollars back into his most public enterprise IMHO.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
              X