USD's Chris Nilsen wins Oly Trials Pole Vault -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD's Chris Nilsen wins Oly Trials Pole Vault -

USD grad Chris Nilsen won the Olympic Trials pole vault a few minutes ago. He's really something and looks to have room to improve. He beat Sam Kendricks (Olympic bronze in 2016; 2017 World Champ; USA recordholder; basically has been winning everything lately...until this evening. Congrats to Nilsen.

Good for him. I'll be cheering for him in Tokyo.

Comment

The world-record holder, Armand Duplantis, is USA born but vaults for Sweden in the Olympics. HIs mother is a Swede; his father is American Greg Duplantis, a top vaulter a generation earier with a personal best of 19' 1/4". Armand Duplantis vaulted for LSU and is a year or two younger than Nilsen. Duplantis is favored to win gold at this summer's Olympics BUT Nilsen beat him for the 2019 NCAA Outdoor title when Nilsen cleared 19' 6.25", while Duplantis finished second in 19' 1/4". (In the 2019 NCAA meet, KC Lightfoot, Baylor U, finished fourth -- Lighfoot finished 3rd behind Nilsen and Sam Kendricks at the Olympic trials this week).

It'll be a great battle and Nilsen, currently considered the #5 vaulter in the world, has an excellent shot at getting a medal and certainly will be in the hunt for Olympic Gold.

Comment

Nilsen takes the silver medal, finishing behind the current world record holder, Mondo Duplantis. Nice job by Nilsen.

Comment

Yeah, he’s from THAT school, but it’s still pretty cool to see a fellow South Dakotan earn an Olympic medal.

Well done, Sir!
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
          X