Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carson Wentz

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    He was a walk-on? I don't recall that. One of their O-Lineman that could potentially go to the NFL was a walk-on but I don't Wentz was.
    Carson Wentz was absolutely not a walk-on.

Joe Haeg, the two-time All American OT for the Bison was a walk-on.

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
      Carson Wentz was absolutely not a walk-on.

Joe Haeg, the two-time All American OT for the Bison was a walk-on.
      Yes, he was a walk on. See today's Star Tribune.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        Wentz was not a walkon. He would have went to UND or SDSU on scholarship if NDSU didn't offer him anything.

I trust general logic over the Star Tribune.

Comment

I read the ST article. I didn't see anything in there about walk on. Maybe it is somewhere else in the paper? Or I overlooked it?
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
            Wentz was not a walkon. He would have went to UND or SDSU on scholarship if NDSU didn't offer him anything.

Wentz said in the article he committed UND and there was a coaching change and he walked on at NDSU.

Comment

Wentz said in the article he committed UND and there was a coaching change and he walked on at NDSU.
              Have a link for the article? This article http://www.startribune.com/ndsu-s-we...eal/377057041/ says:

“It wasn’t until about the seventh game of the season before we even started getting some inquiries from colleges,” Wingenbach said. “There just wasn’t much film on Carson.”

Central Michigan was the only Division I school that showed any interest.

“The week after Carson visited NDSU, he was going to go to Central Michigan, which presumably was going to be an offer,” said Zach Wentz, who was at NDSU as a star baseball player at the time. “But going to Fargo, seeing the tradition, knowing that I was already there, being close to the family, his mind was made up.”

And this article: http://www.si.com/college-football/2...ting-nfl-draft which is all about recruiting Wentz doesn't say he was a walk-on. It does say this:

Wentz said most of his scholarship offers were extended after his senior season and that they were mostly from “Missouri Valley teams and a bunch of FCS teams.” Mid-American Conference program Central Michigan showed significant interest, according to Wentz, but did not actually offer him. Wentz told the Detroit Free Press that “when I called to tell them I was confirming and declaring to go to NDSU, they told me they were going to fly out this week to get me an offer.”

Comment

I tend to think if Wentz was truly a walk-on that the media would be all over that and it would be everywhere.

Comment

Only article I can find that says he was a walk-on.
                  http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/...2016-nfl-draft

Comment

When you look at a list of LOI signers from 2011, its hard to tell who is a preferred walk-on and who got scholarship money. I know Stig has mentioned offering him because of his connection to Wentz's dad, so I think this one was a close one, with NDSU offering maybe at the last minute. I doubt he walked on. Sports writers can get sloppy in details especially when discussing an unknown who all the sudden is a no 1 or 2 round draft pick.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 04-26-2016, 03:58 PM.

Comment

It's not difficult. At the bottom of the GoBison article it says who the walkons were.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Carson was a full ride from day 1, he is NOT a walk on
                        BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                          It's not difficult. At the bottom of the GoBison article it says who the walkons were.
                          No its not that difficult if you scroll down and read the entire article, which I did not do. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                            Carson was a full ride from day 1, he is NOT a walk on
                            No argument here. Carson is a talented athlete and certain college coaches recognized when they were recruiting him.

Comment

You are confusing Wentz with Joe Haeg.

Comment

You are confusing Wentz with Joe Haeg.
                                Does Haeg have any NFL future?

Comment

Working...
                                X