Zenner continues to get attention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Zenner continues to get attention

Matt Zimmer on Zenner not getting drafted: http://www.argusleader.com/story/mat...fted/26905781/
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

That's a good assessment by Mr. Zimmer on why Zach Zenner didn't get drafted. I hope Zach makes the NFL doubters regret their timid, outdated, pack-thinking mentality.
      This space for lease.

Comment

I love the subtle foreshadow by Zimmer.....

Jamarcus Russell was a No. 1 pick....so was Jameis Winsten.

Seems he thinks Winsten and Russell are on similar paths.....

Comment

Article pulled for some reason? I get the "oh snap, article no longer exists" error.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Matt Zimmer on Zenner not getting drafted: http://www.argusleader.com/story/mat...fted/26905781/ QUOTE]

I can't believe Zimmer actually wrote he didn't get picked because he was white? I'd have to disagree with him on this point. Crockett was almost in the same skill set as Zenner and he didn't get picked either. Zenner tested very well so the Lions got a great deal.

This being "pitchfork nation", I have to admit that Zimmer had a lot of guts bringing up the race card. I just happen to think he is wrong. I think the NFL figured they could get Crocket and Zenner to sign as a FA vs. having to pay them as a draft pick. RB's are devalued as he said.

Zimmer also missed the third most valuable position in the NFL - CB. It goes QB, pass rusher, CB, then left tackle. It is all about the passing game now in the NFL. However, I think ZZ would be a great weapon to use as a third down back, passing to him out of the backfield. I do not think he could bulk up to be a fullback and why would he? Over half of the NFL teams do not have a fullback. They use TE's and hybred TE's. Third down back is valuable. Packers drafted one in the third round to be a hybrid third down back/wide receiver/kick returner. That is probably why they went after Crockett vs. ZZ. I hate to see ZZ go to the Lions because I think he will help them.

ZZ will make a good kick off returner.

I wonder how he would do on punt returns? - Packers also have a returner, who was on the IR last year, who is excellent. Abbrederis - hmm, he happens to be white. Nelson - white (he returns punts). Janis - white (potential returner). Kuhn - white but fullback, zero potential returner.

Did Zach Zenner return punts? I think he did when younger, but cannot remember. I think he would be great at it in the NFL too. What do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post

I wonder how he would do on punt returns? - Packers also have a returner, who was on the IR last year, who is excellent. Abbrederis - hmm, he happens to be white. Nelson - white (he returns punts). Janis - white (potential returner). Kuhn - white but fullback, zero potential returner.

Did Zach Zenner return punts? I think he did when younger, but cannot remember. I think he would be great at it in the NFL too. What do you guys think?

I think Zenner pointed out in one of his diary postings he doesn't see himself as a returner because he isn't a barn-burner for speed and he is more of North-South Runner and not shifty.

"I could see myself as a winger on field goals or on either side of the ball on punt and kick returns, blocking, making tackles, you name it. I don't necessarily see myself as an NFL kick returner -- most of those guys are speedsters who are just electric, and I don't think I'm really that kind of guy; I'm less shifty and more of a straight-line runner -- but if that's where I am needed, by all means, I'll do that, as well."

Comment

I think part of the reason he was classified as FB was partially due to race, but as far as I could tell, most of that was done by draft prognosticators and not by actual NFL teams. I have no idea what teams classified him as.

As for not getting drafted, I would assume the deep running back class this year had more to do with it than race. But who knows.

EDIT: Did the Argus pull the article? When I click on the link it's displaying that it couldn't be found.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                  Matt Zimmer on Zenner not getting drafted: http://www.argusleader.com/story/mat...fted/26905781/ QUOTE]

I can't believe Zimmer actually wrote he didn't get picked because he was white? I'd have to disagree with him on this point. Crockett was almost in the same skill set as Zenner and he didn't get picked either. Zenner tested very well so the Lions got a great deal.

This being "pitchfork nation", I have to admit that Zimmer had a lot of guts bringing up the race card. I just happen to think he is wrong. I think the NFL figured they could get Crocket and Zenner to sign as a FA vs. having to pay them as a draft pick. RB's are devalued as he said.

Zimmer also missed the third most valuable position in the NFL - CB. It goes QB, pass rusher, CB, then left tackle. It is all about the passing game now in the NFL. However, I think ZZ would be a great weapon to use as a third down back, passing to him out of the backfield. I do not think he could bulk up to be a fullback and why would he? Over half of the NFL teams do not have a fullback. They use TE's and hybred TE's. Third down back is valuable. Packers drafted one in the third round to be a hybrid third down back/wide receiver/kick returner. That is probably why they went after Crockett vs. ZZ. I hate to see ZZ go to the Lions because I think he will help them.

I give Zimmer a lot of credit for writing this article as nobody want's to talk about the race card in sports especially if a person is being pigeon holed into a certain position because of race.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    I give Zimmer a lot of credit for writing this article as nobody want's to talk about the race card in sports especially if a person is being pigeon holed into a certain position because of race.
                    I agree with you 100%. I did not intend to disparage Zimmer. I think it was a terrific article, and Zimmer has guts for writing it. It was insiteful and thought provoking. It took guts for him to talk about race, thus the pitchfork nation comment. Would love to see him cover SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post

EDIT: Did the Argus pull the article? When I click on the link it's displaying that it couldn't be found.
                      Thats what I noticed earlier. I wasn't able to read it before it was pulled, but apparently the editor, or whoever, wasn't buying the race angle.
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                        Thats what I noticed earlier. I wasn't able to read it before it was pulled, but apparently the editor, or whoever, wasn't buying the race angle.
                        Holy nutmeg!

I cant believe that a gutless editor pulled this.

Pitchfork nation strikes again. Zimmer wrote nothing that was incorrect, racist, or not fit to publish. It was thoughtfully written. Yet somebody obviously decided it wasn't politically correct.

Whatever happened to free speech?

Comment

Stupid question - if the censors think the article is unfit for free Americans to read, how did it make it past the censors and into the written paper? Yet it is unfit to read unline? Perhaps you can find today's hard print of the Argus because the race portion, and for that matter, the whole article was well written. I wish I could paraphrase but it wouldn't do Zimmer justice. He is better at his craft than me. Whatever happened to free speech and freedom of the press? It is a sad state of affairs that the article was pulled. The PC police win again taking way more of our freedom.

Comment

Whoa. Let's apply the brakes a bit. I've started a discussion with the other moderators about the subject of politics on this message board.

I think most posters will agree that there are plenty of message boards in which vigorous (some would say sickening) discussion on politics take place. This board has not been used for that purpose.

shot let me just add: that while I understand the sentiment, you're throwing around concepts that deserve or merit a much deeper and academic treatment than a message board. I'm concerned that people on the fringe -- pick the one you don't like -- are going to start verbal/written bomb throwing in a message board set up for one purpose: discussion of SDSU athletics. I've studied the heck out of the concepts and historical underpinnings of "free speech" and "freedom of the press" and we're not going to cover those topics properly in a 100 years of posting on this message board.

"gutless editor" "Pitchfork nation"? Just pointing out that's where political discourse ends up these days. I'm not interested in going to this message board to read what my fellow SDSU fans think about political issues.

CLARIFICATION: I'm throwing discussions on race into a broad category of politics. Perhaps it would be better to just remind everyone of the purpose of this board and keep the discussions limited to that purpose.

How about we just go slow on politics and until the moderators decide how much of that crap we're going to allow on this message board? Up to now, we've avoided politics on SDSUFans.com.

Comment

I think Zimmer should have stopped with lack of respect for SDSU and FCS. To me this is bigger issue than the pigment issue. Lets face it all those scouts who came to Brookings, what did they really think of Zenner? My guess is that they thought a nice clean cut kid with good academic skills, but can he take a weekly beating in the NFL and if so for how long? Was he worthy of a Pick? Probably not, more fitting as a free agent.. When these same scouts went to Fargo to look at John Crockett, their thoughts were pretty much the same would be my guess. Any scout with a racial bias would not last long in my opinion.

Seems like the NFL legends from SDSU have seldom been from the backfield, but more like ends and lineman. The RB is a very skilled position and Wayne Rasmussen was about the only one from SDSU to make a career mark and I think Wayne is 73 years old and played a in much different NFL than today. I think the NFL is getting more messy with each year. My advice to Zack would be to skip the NFL and start your studies towards surgery. I think the medical profession needs ZZ more than the NFL.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 05-06-2015, 05:30 AM.

Comment

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/2...a-state-050415

Zenner has selected the Detroit Lions as his better shot of available choices of NFL teams to make the roster. There, hopefully, he will be evaluated on his talent, smarts, and heart for playing NFL football. Orange, green, or blue & silver skin pigmentation isn't going to matter.

Zach's smarts and option to go to med school may have played nearly as big a role in not being drafted as any other factor.

Comment

Working...
                                X