X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heat waive Mike Miller

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    Amnesty Clause

The team still pays the contract; it simply does not count towards their salary cap.
    I found this in a 2011 article;

The NBA's latest CBA proposal reportedly includes an "amnesty clause" - a one-time opportunity for teams to remove their worst contracts from the books.

Apparently they could not afford the Miller contract and it was one of the worst ones on the books. You can be fired from a job and receive severance pay and in this case it is severance pay, the 12 million. You don't even have to show up for work which Miller will not at least not in Miami.

Comment

okay i'm done
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Severance pay: noun - Money, exclusive of wages, back pay, etc., paid to an employee who has tenure and who is dismissed because of lack of work or other reasons beyond the employee's control. I don't believe one could construe being paid wages as per contract as severance pay.
        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

There has been some reports that Mike Miller has been telling people that he is likely to sign with OKC.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
            Severance pay: noun - Money, exclusive of wages, back pay, etc., paid to an employee who has tenure and who is dismissed because of lack of work or other reasons beyond the employee's control. I don't believe one could construe being paid wages as per contract as severance pay.
            Why not? In theory, it is a separation that is beyond the employee's control. Miller himself said he would like to remain part of the Heat. I see a employer-employee relationship(W-2) amongst pro athletes and not a independent contractor relationship Form1099, either way Miller makes out to the tune of $12 million in a settlement. I am not a lawyer, so may not know of what I speak. I am done also.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 07-19-2013, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
              There has been some reports that Mike Miller has been telling people that he is likely to sign with OKC.
              Is it just me or does this guy seem to have an inside track on NBA info?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                Is it just me or does this guy seem to have an inside track on NBA info?
                It was all over twitter yesterday

Just remember the King of Amnestys is Gilbert Arenas. Signs a 6 year deal in 2008, brings handguns into locker rooms goes to Orlando for one year, gets amnestied after the lockout and forces the Magic to pay him upwards of 21mil+ a year for the last two years and is owned one more year of over 22milliom due to the amnesty rules.

He has been the third highest paid player in NBA for last two years as well as next year while only playing 17 games in the NBA with the Grizzlies in 2012. Just trolled the entire Magic organization. I love it!
                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                  It was all over twitter yesterday
                  Fair enough, it just seemed he was always first with news on Nate and the NBA. I guess if I cared about the NBA I would know a little more myself.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                    Fair enough, it just seemed he was always first with news on Nate and the NBA. I guess if I cared about the NBA I would know a little more myself.
                    Try www.hoopsrumors.com

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      ...or follow Adrian Wojnarowski on twitter. @WojYahooNBA

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                        Thanks for the link, it seems to have a lot of fresh poop.

Comment

According to multiple sources, Mike Miller is going to sign with the Grizzlies.
                          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Perfect fit. They need shooting badly.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                            X