Layne Somsen's future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Layne Somsen's future

Wow, that's two great starts in a row for him. He keeps this up and he'll be knocking on the major's door soon.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      5IP 1 R 1 ER 4 K 0BB

Solid performance, not really sure what the plan is for him, I don't know if the Reds organization knows for sure.
      Thanks for the update joeboo, I was thinking I had to check out his line this morning but forgot. Saved me the search.

Great night. I hope these 2 starts have been enough to keep Layne at AAA. I think they have always projected him as a reliever, but perhaps that is open to consideration as well.
      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Layne has moved his belongings to Louisville. Nothing is certain in minor league baseball but he is there for the time being. With the promotion of Sampson, Layne will be returning to the bull pen. Being flexible in what you can do for your team has to be a plus for him. Thanks to all who are following him and cheering him on.

Comment

This is from June 10th, but it has a nice photo of Layne and a few details of his first start at AAA.

http://www.leoweekly.com/2015/06/fri...-the-ballpark/
          The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Tough news for Layne. I believe he took a line drive off his foot, and will be out for several weeks as he is now on the DL with a fractured toe. Brief mention of it in the linked report below. Incredibly unfortunate timing, as he was showing his ability in AAA.

http://redlegnation.com/2015/06/25/t...n-the-farm-41/

Comment

Layne was chosen to play in the Arizona Fall League. He has been in Arizona since Oct. 1 throwing some bull pens and working out. Players report for the fall league Oct. 7 and play begins next week Oct. 13. He is with the Peoria Javelinas.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                Layne was chosen to play in the Arizona Fall League. He has been in Arizona since Oct. 1 throwing some bull pens and working out. Players report for the fall league Oct. 7 and play begins next week Oct. 13. He is with the Peoria Javelinas.
                Yeah good news for him. He got back from his injury and made a contribution at AAA. A good fall league should help set the stage for a nice season next year for Layne.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the update 76! Will try to keep up with him this month.

PS: I bought the Peoria newspaper in 1961 and together with another man wound up co-owning newspapers in Peoria, Sun City, Youngstown, Maryvale, Avondale, Goodyear and Litchfield Park. Sold my interests in 1969 to bring back the family to South Dakota to raise my kids. Greatest move of my life. Peoria was population 3,500 at that time. Now well over 100,000.

Comment

I'm going to try to catch one or two of their games this fall.

Comment

• Re: Layne Somsen's future

Layne got his first save of the Arizona Fall League last night and, more importantly, is now getting mentioned on short lists to watch for as fresh additions to Major League bullpens. I know his parents are awfully proud. http://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/...bute-in-majors

Comment

Layne Somsen was invited to spring training by the Reds, one of just six pitchers to get that non-roster invite... http://www.yankton.net/sports/articl...0311c514a.html

Comment

I am glad someone posted the story from Yankton. I had heard this news, and am excited to see Layne get a shot in spring training. I am told there was a point last season where he was in the mix for a call up before the line drive off his foot took him out of action for a few weeks. Even if he doesn't make the big league club out of spring training, it will be a great experience for him, and obviously a chance to make an impression on those in charge with the Reds.

Comment

Ditto! Definitely thrilled to see Layne getting a spot in spring training.

Comment

Layne's got a shot. Now it's up to him

http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/1...r-reds-bullpen

Comment

Thanks for the updates. Going put in bookmarks for the Reds main site.
                                Last edited by JackJD; 03-25-2016, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X