Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jeremy Lin?

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Did anybody see or here what the espn comments were about lin that they got in trouble for?
    http://deadspin.com/5886218/espns-he...-armor-edition
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      ABC News had a story about Lin and his travels to China to the home of his grandmother. He is quite popular in China, except the govt in China does not endorse the religous part of Lin so the story mentioned. I doubt his religion will ever be a international issue, but he is free to express and practice it in the USA. In China? Not so sure.
      Only reason he's affiliated with China is because China doesn't recognize Taiwan as their own country. So when you see Chinese Taipai it's actually Taiwan. Also the "chink in the armor" thing was quite funny to me because he's not even Chinese.
      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
        Only reason he's affiliated with China is because China doesn't recognize Taiwan as their own country. So when you see Chinese Taipai it's actually Taiwan. Also the "chink in the armor" thing was quite funny to me because he's not even Chinese.
        This story said he made this trip just this last May. He went to see his grandmother who still lives there or apparently lives in Tiawan.

From the ABC website here is the story I saw tonight. He is American born. Apparently his parents immigrated from Taiwan, and grandmother did not come with them.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...yangtze-delta/
        Last edited by Nidaros; 02-20-2012, 03:02 AM.

Comment

I may be wrong, but I think there are pretty strong feelings in Taiwan and mainland China about which is really China. A bunch of people left China for Taiwan during some revolution.

Taiwan doesn't recognize China, China doesn't recognize Taiwan. Taiwan is under near constant "threat" of invasion from the mainland, the US recognizes mainland as China but offers some level of protection for Taiwan. But the US government definitely doesn't call someone from Chinese if their roots are in Taiwan.

From my limited arm chair historian knowledge, it isn't worlds different than the Israel/Palestine situation.

I could be waaaaaaay off with this, anyone feel free to correct me.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Lin had 28 pts and 14 assists last night against the Mavericks.

He has now started 8 games, averaging 25 points, 9.5 assists, 2.25 steals, and 3.6 rebounds per game.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

It's beginning to become grating:

http://deadspin.com/5886442/bristolm...-but-last-week

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                I guess, but I would rather have them talking about Lin than the next 5 guys in that list:

Lebron
                Phil Mikelson
                Carmelo Anthony
                Tiger
                Kobe

Interestingly enough, both Kobe and LeBron have made headlines of their own in the last week, for issues that have nothing to do with their performance on the court. I think they are jealous.

Comment

I wish that they could just cover sports that are played and show high lights. I really, really wish it was possible to cover sports with out beating everything into the ground.

I heard more about Jeremy Lin on Sportscenter today than Kevin Durant and Russel Westbrook. They only combined for 91 points yesterday.

ESPN is awful, I really need to just stop watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    I may be wrong, but I think there are pretty strong feelings in Taiwan and mainland China about which is really China. A bunch of people left China for Taiwan during some revolution.

Taiwan doesn't recognize China, China doesn't recognize Taiwan. Taiwan is under near constant "threat" of invasion from the mainland, the US recognizes mainland as China but offers some level of protection for Taiwan. But the US government definitely doesn't call someone from Chinese if their roots are in Taiwan.

From my limited arm chair historian knowledge, it isn't worlds different than the Israel/Palestine situation.

I could be waaaaaaay off with this, anyone feel free to correct me.
                    Got a kick out of the comment, " a bunch of people left China for Taiwan during some revolution." I'm still laughing on that one. I am in NYC tonight and was pretty tempted to go see the kid play, but couldn't get any other takers.

Comment

I told you before, rabbit obsessed, and you didn't seem to agree, it's NYC sports, it takes precedence over everything. Could you even imagine the Tebow coverage if he played for the Giants or Jets. Get over it dude, I've seen it for years, the national media (espn) is primarily New York some Boston then LA, Chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                        I told you before, rabbit obsessed, and you didn't seem to agree, it's NYC sports, it takes precedence over everything. Could you even imagine the Tebow coverage if he played for the Giants or Jets. Get over it dude, I've seen it for years, the national media (espn) is primarily New York some Boston then LA, Chicago.
                        This is just as bad as the Tebow coverage, the Favre retirement coverage, etc. It's ESPN.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          This is just as bad as the Tebow coverage, the Favre retirement coverage, etc. It's ESPN.
                          You're right, remember when Favre went to the Jets? The thing I try to remember is it's not the kids fault, he's doing his job. The media is 99% to blame.

Comment

The thing I try o remember is it's not the kids fault, he's going his job. The media is 99% to blame.
                            Oh, I agree.

Comment

You're right, remember when Favre went to the Jets? The thing I try o remember is it's not the kids fault, he's going his job. The media is 99% to blame.
                              Lin seems so uneasy in the spotlight. In fact he told Taiwan media to leave his family alone because they were following his family to school. Lin also gives credit to his teammates so it isnt really Lins fault just that hes in New York where everything is overblown but his story is definately unique.
                              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Lin seems so uneasy in the spotlight. In fact he told Taiwan media to leave his family alone because they were following his family to school. Lin also gives credit to his teammates so it isnt really Lins fault just that hes in New York where everything is overblown but his story is definately unique.
                                I love the fact that he credits his teammates. That's the kind of athlete I want to watch/be
                                Great moments are born from great opportunities.
                                ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Working...
                                X