Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tebow

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    Yes? I'd rather have a ticket to a football game than have Tim Tebow lecture me about his religion.

Ochocinco was used as an example as a selfish me-first athlete when I think that is what gets portrayed but isn't true at all. Ochocinco does a ton for his fans and community but because he celebrates in a different way than Tebow, he is considered a me-first jackass that doesn't care about the team. **** that. Ndamukong Suh was named the most charitable athlete of 2011, but he plays football like an asshole so he's a terrible person. Again, **** that. I think it's great that Tebow gives back and goes on mission trips and whatever the hell he does. Good for him.

In my opinion, (and I don't want to delve into this too far, but whatever) he gets more props for what he does because he is a white, male Christian living in a country that is dominated by white, male Christians. Once again, just my opinion. I don't actually care that he is a Christian, I just think he benefits more from (certain) prominent media outlets. I think it's great that he donates his time, but tons of other athletes do as well and I don't see them getting held up as great examples like he does.

Out of everything I've read about Tebow off the field (re: religion), I think Mr. Charlie Pierce wrote the most thought-provoking article on it. He discusses a lot of the missionary work that Tebow does, and not all in a positive light. Read it here if you are interested: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7369021/fair-game

But all of the other **** aside, I think he is a below average quarterback. Which is the most important thing to consider, obviously.
    LOL, the Charlie Pierce article is one of the most biased pieces I have read for a long time. He isn't impartial to Tim Tebow, he loathes him and everything he stands for. If you don't like Tebow, you probably like the article. If you like Tebow, you probably don't like the article (if you understand the many references the author makes).

A few high points from the article (from my perspective):

He repeatedly refers to one of Tebows interests as anti-choice, wording Tebow and a significant portion of the American public would find inflammatory.
    He makes inflammatory remarks about James Dobson, a relatively well respected person. A very well respected minister by a significant portion of the American public.
    He quotes and talks about Christopher Hitchens with the same reverence the religious quote their pastors.
    He mentions Menken, Twain, and quotes James Madison. Three guys who weren't very high on religion (to say the least) and would probably rail against or make fun of Tim Tebow if they were alive today.

I did not know the Philippines were 95% Catholic, which could call into question the stated motives of Bob Tebow (Tim's dad). However, I would bet that the Tebows do a lot of good in the Philappines. Edit - I read through that part of the article again, Pierce twists Bob Tebow's words through his own cynicism to make them sound like disingenuous or dishonest, then backs it up with statistics and statements that don't really have anything to do with what Bob Tebow meant.

To people like Pierce, Tim Tebow just provides an opportunity to proselytize their own world view. That article could have been written by Stu Whitney.
    Last edited by SF_Rabbit_Fan; 01-11-2012, 10:01 AM. Reason: clarity
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Stu Whitney wishes he could write like that. And I didn't say I agreed with everything in the article. Just that it was thought-provoking. His overall point, that Tebow's religion is not off limits, I agree with.

I suppose I should add: LOL
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Just a little info on Tebow. He was voted by ESPN sports poll Americas favorite pro athlete as the poll was released today. He was the fastest riser in the 18 year history. As for Tebow Mania the First Take episode on Monday was the highest rated First Take ever. Skip is making Tebow even big and seems to add to the mania. Tebow Mania is big and here to stay. Heres the link to the article:http://www.rantsports.com/denver-bro...t-pro-athlete/
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Stu Whitney wishes he could write like that. And I didn't say I agreed with everything in the article. Just that it was thought-provoking. His overall point, that Tebow's religion is not off limits, I agree with.

I suppose I should add: LOL
          Whenever I hear Stu Whitneys name, all I think about is "Stu, Stu, Stu, Stu Whitney, Stu, Stu, Stu, Stu Whitney!" Yes that is still stuck in my head

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
            Just a little info on Tebow. He was voted by ESPN sports poll Americas favorite pro athlete as the poll was released today. He was the fastest riser in the 18 year history. As for Tebow Mania the First Take episode on Monday was the highest rated First Take ever. Skip is making Tebow even big and seems to add to the mania. Tebow Mania is big and here to stay. Heres the link to the article:http://www.rantsports.com/denver-bro...t-pro-athlete/
            Maybe that's why I don't like Tebow; I loathe Skip Bayless.

Comment

Maybe that's why I don't like Tebow; I loathe Skip Bayless.
              I disagree with Skip on a lot of things, but the fact that he stated Tebow would win a playoff game before he even got drafted is why he is boasting 24/7 now because people laughed at him. That is part of the reason why I like Tebow is that he doesnt have a big ego and gives credit to his teammates and seems to be a good guy. Matthew Berry(the ESPN fantasy guru) wrote almost a whole article about him meeting Tebow and how nice of a guy and was shocked Tebow remembered ever word that was said and that Tebow wished him luck. He even said to pick Tebow up on fantasy the next week.

Comment

Tebow is a great fantasy quarterback, so that's solid advice by Berry. I still hope Skip Bayless catches a venereal disease, and I hoped that long before Tebow.

Comment

Tebow is a great fantasy quarterback, so that's solid advice by Berry. I still hope Skip Bayless catches a venereal disease, and I hoped that long before Tebow.
                  This is the article:http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/fo...page=TMR111013 Actually a good read and explains the whole Tebow Mania thing

Comment

I love Skip. He is actually entertaining to listen too and not afraid to take a stand. It is refreshing from the same borning talking points almost every other espn commentator has. He makes a good arguement and stinks with his views when others jump bandwagons every other week.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      I love Skip.
                      This is the least surprising thing I have ever read. There is a huge difference between having an opinion and actually having a knowledgeable opinion.

Charles Barkley is always right:

http://deadspin.com/5864525/charles-barkley-to-dan-patrick-i-hate-skip-bayless-more-than-any-person-in-the-world

Comment

Who Says No?

(Note: I did not read the article.)

Comment

This is the least surprising thing I have ever read. There is a huge difference between having an opinion and actually having a knowledgeable opinion.

Charles Barkley is always right:

http://deadspin.com/5864525/charles-barkley-to-dan-patrick-i-hate-skip-bayless-more-than-any-person-in-the-world
                          So Barkley is your expert opinion? Srlsly? If you want to talk about lack of depth and insight. You found the winner. Skip can back up his point of view, rarely something other talking heads on ESPN can do. If you look at it from an entertainment side of it, Skip makes that show more entertaining. Doubt many would watch if he wasn’t on there.
                          The similarity is eerie, knowing that Tebow haters are very similar to Naters haters. They said Nate is to slow on the first step, he is not a vocal leader, he gets lucky, doesn’t have a great shot, can’t compete with top competition, etc. Yet he works hard and wins and does it his way. Same with Tebow, he can’t pass, he doesn’t know how to be an NFL QB, he gets lucky, his skills won’t win at the NFL level, etc, yet he keeps working hard, does it the right way, and sticks to his beliefs. The good thing is Athletes know that haters will always be there, but if they stay true to themselves love um or hate um, they will be just fine regardless of the haters.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Yes. Barkley knows what he is talking about. Skip doesn't have a clue. I only read the first line of your post. tl;dr.

Comment

Yes. Barkley knows what he is talking about. Skip doesn't have a clue. I only read the first line of your post. tl;dr.
                              I am guessing you are being sarcastic because frankly Barkely is tirrble. Haha, get it. bvd#cd.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                I am guessing you are being sarcastic because frankly Barkely is tirrble. Haha, get it. bvd#cd.
                                Haha are you referring to when he was a broadcaster for a heat game last week on TNT because I love him as a broadcaster. Says what he feels. Haha. Need more broadcaster like him

Comment

Working...
                                X