Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tebow

My reaction is still pretty much what it was at the time:

"You have GOT to be kidding!" followed by (slightly hysterical) laughter for the better part of two straight minutes.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I read this on the internets today and it seemed like a solid summation:

He makes some great plays. Unfortunately, he doesn't make enough ordinary plays to eliminate the need to make the great plays.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        Just because a certain player celebrates and has fun and may not embrace a certain religion or whatnot doesn't mean they are terrible person. Chad Ochocinco gives back to his fans/community just as much as Tebow does.

http://www.thegrio.com/sports/ochocinco-treats-twitter-fans-to-dinner.php

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/bengals-ochocinco-gives-back-to-bengals-fans/

OK, so maybe Ochostinko does and he isn't the best example. I think you get the gist of what I was getting at with the original comment. He may give back be he certainly could be accused of having a "me first" attitude on the field. Anyway, pick any of the dozens of players that the story isn't so good.

I'm just saying even if you take the religious part out of the Tebow story (it seems to drive some people nuts) and he still is a great story of how to work hard and do things right. Our country can use more than a little bit of that right now. And no, Tebow certainly isn't the only one who is doing great things. There are many, many great examples of athletes doing great things. I think it is great when they can use the stage to represent some positive things.

SUPERBUNNY

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I don't think you can take religion out of the story because Tebow himself makes it part of the story. It is who he is, but I think a lot of the things that he does don't necessarily make him a good person.

I still think he is a below average quarterback though.

And the "Tebow just wins" is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
            OK, so maybe Ochostinko does and he isn't the best example. I think you get the gist of what I was getting at with the original comment. He may give back be he certainly could be accused of having a "me first" attitude on the field. Anyway, pick any of the dozens of players that the story isn't so good.

I'm just saying even if you take the religious part out of the Tebow story (it seems to drive some people nuts) and he still is a great story of how to work hard and do things right. Our country can use more than a little bit of that right now. And no, Tebow certainly isn't the only one who is doing great things. There are many, many great examples of athletes doing great things. I think it is great when they can use the stage to represent some positive things.

SUPERBUNNY

SUPERBUNNY

I agree I think tebow is refreshing. When pro sports have labor disputes and makes everyone look like greedy pigs it doesn't do the game any justice. Tebow is a positive story just like the packers run for perfection. I think he is honest and humble and hard worker that a lot of younger kids should look to and see how to do it right. Work hard and believe and anything is possible.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I don't think you can take religion out of the story because Tebow himself makes it part of the story. It is who he is, but I think a lot of the things that he does don't necessarily make him a good person.

No question religion is what Tebow is all about. You can help but pick up the message that he is trying to carry on and off the field. ABC news covered this story in depth tonight on the Evening news. The pass was a bullet, but the receiver ran nearly 2.5 miles an hour into the end zone, at least that is the calulated speed he was traveling. Tebow does have some skills and so does NO 88 the receiver. Rep pts to RO.

Comment

http://youtu.be/4LGDnWKepDQ

Punch-line for the patience-impaired: "Tebow . . . immediately dropped to one knee, and prayed that Jesus would forgive him for his awkward throwing motion."
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Meehhh.... If Tebow is consistent than it will become backseat news just like Kurt Warner who is an outspoken guy about his religion but people didnt hate Warner because he was outspoken about his religion yet they hate Tebow for it. So because he is religious, and does other good things he does doesnt make him a good person? Um..what? The whole completion percentage is skewed because most his throws are 15+ yard passes and not dink and dunk screen passes. Tebow won in high school, won in college and beat the Steelers in his first playoff game in his second year so ya he does "just win". Id take him over Ponder any day. Yes I said it and not even a prisoner of the moment statement either
                  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

The guy just set some records passing in the nfl playoffs, won his first game? The key to how he get wr more open is a large part of how teams prepare to run against him. Often the will cheat a safety up because the respect his run. That allows less coverage when they do pass. Its becuase of his skills that he brings why a defense will change how they defend him. I don't get why people say only the wr made a good catch, wouldn't it be because the QB made a good throw so they could catch it. I bet a lot of teams who didn't make the playoffs would have been better if they had tebow on their team.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Heck, I'm the first one to say he is a below average quarterback, the defense really gelling is the major reason for the Broncos turnaround, and their kicker has been HUGE! Frankly, the Broncos would be dynamite with Orton if the defense played like that and would have a better chance of moving forward in the playoffs.

What Denver did was gutsy to give him a chance. It is make or break for Tebow. All he wants is a fair chance to compete and Denver is certainly giving him that chance and he is delivering. It is unconventional, ugly at times, and very effective. Eight teams left in the playoffs and one of them is led by Tebow.

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                        Heck, I'm the first one to say he is a below average quarterback, the defense really gelling is the major reason for the Broncos turnaround, and their kicker has been HUGE! Frankly, the Broncos would be dynamite with Orton if the defense played like that and would have a better chance of moving forward in the playoffs.

What Denver did was gutsy to give him a chance. It is make or break for Tebow. All he wants is a fair chance to compete and Denver is certainly giving him that chance and he is delivering. It is unconventional, ugly at times, and very effective. Eight teams left in the playoffs and one of them is led by Tebow.

SUPERBUNNY
                        Defense has played terrible last 4 games. Defense had a good run but has been struggling with Von Miller hurt and Dawkins out. Orton is just a stats qb that doesnt know how to win games where as Tebow is the exact opposite and Tebow is more of a leader than Orton can dream of. Denver gutsy to give him a chance? Haha what?? They wanted to have Tebow fall flat on his face they could say see told you and draft a QB high.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                          Defense has played terrible last 4 games. Defense had a good run but has been struggling with Von Miller hurt and Dawkins out. Orton is just a stats qb that doesnt know how to win games where as Tebow is the exact opposite and Tebow is more of a leader than Orton can dream of. Denver gutsy to give him a chance? Haha what?? They wanted to have Tebow fall flat on his face they could say see told you and draft a QB high.
                          All I know is that it is fun to be a Bronco fan again. GO BRONCOS!!!! As for this thread, did RO actually compare Tebow's off the field charity work to Ochostinko giving tickets away on Twitter?

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                            As for this thread, did RO actually compare Tebow's off the field charity work to Ochostinko giving tickets away on Twitter?
                            Yes? I'd rather have a ticket to a football game than have Tim Tebow lecture me about his religion.

Ochocinco was used as an example as a selfish me-first athlete when I think that is what gets portrayed but isn't true at all. Ochocinco does a ton for his fans and community but because he celebrates in a different way than Tebow, he is considered a me-first jackass that doesn't care about the team. **** that. Ndamukong Suh was named the most charitable athlete of 2011, but he plays football like an asshole so he's a terrible person. Again, **** that. I think it's great that Tebow gives back and goes on mission trips and whatever the hell he does. Good for him.

In my opinion, (and I don't want to delve into this too far, but whatever) he gets more props for what he does because he is a white, male Christian living in a country that is dominated by white, male Christians. Once again, just my opinion. I don't actually care that he is a Christian, I just think he benefits more from (certain) prominent media outlets. I think it's great that he donates his time, but tons of other athletes do as well and I don't see them getting held up as great examples like he does.

Out of everything I've read about Tebow off the field (re: religion), I think Mr. Charlie Pierce wrote the most thought-provoking article on it. He discusses a lot of the missionary work that Tebow does, and not all in a positive light. Read it here if you are interested: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7369021/fair-game

But all of the other **** aside, I think he is a below average quarterback. Which is the most important thing to consider, obviously.

Comment

The Ten Commandments of Tim Tebow.....http://uk.news.yahoo.com/ten-command...195200484.html

Comment

Yes? I'd rather have a ticket to a football game than have Tim Tebow lecture me about his religion.

Ochocinco was used as an example as a selfish me-first athlete when I think that is what gets portrayed but isn't true at all. Ochocinco does a ton for his fans and community but because he celebrates in a different way than Tebow, he is considered a me-first jackass that doesn't care about the team. **** that. Ndamukong Suh was named the most charitable athlete of 2011, but he plays football like an asshole so he's a terrible person. Again, **** that. I think it's great that Tebow gives back and goes on mission trips and whatever the hell he does. Good for him.

In my opinion, (and I don't want to delve into this too far, but whatever) he gets more props for what he does because he is a white, male Christian living in a country that is dominated by white, male Christians. Once again, just my opinion. I don't actually care that he is a Christian, I just think he benefits more from (certain) prominent media outlets. I think it's great that he donates his time, but tons of other athletes do as well and I don't see them getting held up as great examples like he does.

Out of everything I've read about Tebow off the field (re: religion), I think Mr. Charlie Pierce wrote the most thought-provoking article on it. He discusses a lot of the missionary work that Tebow does, and not all in a positive light. Read it here if you are interested: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7369021/fair-game

But all of the other **** aside, I think he is a below average quarterback. Which is the most important thing to consider, obviously.
                                The whole Tebow vs. Ochocinco debate is dumb. They are both good guys just go about in different ways. I think the opposite if he was black there would be less haters cuz running qbs is normally a black thing. I think him being a christian makes him more haters than normal. I like him as a person and as a player. Who would I rather meet in person first? Prolly Ochocinco just cuz hes so awesome and chill but Tebow is one of my top 5 players right now and hope he keeps winning to prove jealous haters like Kordell Stewart and Doug Stewart and Stephen A Smith wrong. Tim Tebow had better stats through his first 11 games in NFL than John Elway just so you know.

Comment

Working...
                                X