• DSU looking for a new home

http://www.ksfy.com/sports/headlines/93657274.html

video:

http://www.ksfy.com/sports/headlines...?video=pop&t=a

Re: DSU looking for a new home

Bring back the SDIC!

Comment

I had not realized that many DAC schools were going/considering DII. Anybody else really, really, really, really glad we GTFO of DII when we did? Morons like Stewey would probably start calling for a South Dakota DII conference including SDSU, Northern, USD, DSU, BHSU, SD Tech.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        I had not realized that many DAC schools were going/considering DII. Anybody else really, really, really, really glad we GTFO of DII when we did? Morons like Stewey would probably start calling for a South Dakota DII conference including SDSU, Northern, USD, DSU, BHSU, SD Tech.

Wouldn't that conference be exciting!?!?

I wish I had the puke-moniker...it would be perfect for the thought of watching that crap year-in, year-out. Actually I wouldn't have to worry about it personally, because I would never ever pay attention. But that's just me.

Go Jacks!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Well, I heard that the Big 10 was expanding. Perhaps the other DAC schools think that the Trojans may get picked up.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...19/1002/SPORTS

Comment

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?B...&PAG=461&rfi=9

Comment

DSU to go Independent rather then stay in a 5 school DAC

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nation...,7441732.story

Comment

I wonder why the LA Times picked up that story.

DSU's going to have a tough road ahead for a while. I suppose the administrators are hoping there will be more changes in the near future and some conference realignments that may break in DSU's favor.

Comment

There was little incentive for DSU to stay in the DAC, especially after the 4 remaining ND schools voted to kick out BHSU & Mines after this year rather than allow them to remain in the conference through the 2011-2012 season. I know they would love to get in the GPAC in order to reestablish some regional rivalries (DWU & Mt Marty). By getting out of the DAC, it should allow them to schedule some of the GPAC teams and I am sure Mines and BHSU will also be looking for games for the next couple of years. In my opinion, the 4 ND schools are getting what they deserve.
                    USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                      DSU to go Independent rather then stay in a 5 school DAC

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nation...,7441732.story
                      I have to give kudos for having a radio man from Madison digging up this story in the Los Angeles Times. I would have thought the Madison Daily Leader would have scooped it first.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=181986&rfi=6

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                        I have to give kudos for having a radio man from Madison digging up this story in the Los Angeles Times. I would have thought the Madison Daily Leader would have scooped it first.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=181986&rfi=6
                        Actually, Ariy-El Boynton (who is an SDSU Grad) and I both found out officially today from Gene Wockenfuss, who is DSU's athletic director.

Personally, I could see the writing on the wall when the West River schools were accepted to NCAA Division II... as someone wrote, DSU would be essentially out in the hinterlands in a five team conference. And since NAIA requires six teams to be recognized as a conference, does it really make sense to tie yourself into a league where your closest opponent is 4 hours away and NOT have a chance of getting an automatic qualifier? I can see where SDSU could do it for the time being with being in the Great West, but they had the resources to do it... DSU does not.

Would I like to see DSU go into the GPAC? Sure. You have several long-time rivals in there, driving time would be a LOT more manageable. But since the GPAC is a Christian School affiliation, having a State school might ruffle some feathers.

Wock says there will be challenges. But at the same time this will allow for more flexibility in scheduling, budgets, as well as reaching out to locations that have strong DSU alumni bases like in Kansas City and other places.

It's obviously scary, but it was also scary when our Jackrabbits moved up to D-I... and we all know how well that's working out!
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                          Actually, Ariy-El Boynton (who is an SDSU Grad) and I both found out officially today from Gene Wockenfuss, who is DSU's athletic director.

Personally, I could see the writing on the wall when the West River schools were accepted to NCAA Division II... as someone wrote, DSU would be essentially out in the hinterlands in a five team conference. And since NAIA requires six teams to be recognized as a conference, does it really make sense to tie yourself into a league where your closest opponent is 4 hours away and NOT have a chance of getting an automatic qualifier? I can see where SDSU could do it for the time being with being in the Great West, but they had the resources to do it... DSU does not.

Would I like to see DSU go into the GPAC? Sure. You have several long-time rivals in there, driving time would be a LOT more manageable. But since the GPAC is a Christian School affiliation, having a State school might ruffle some feathers.

Wock says there will be challenges. But at the same time this will allow for more flexibility in scheduling, budgets, as well as reaching out to locations that have strong DSU alumni bases like in Kansas City and other places.

It's obviously scary, but it was also scary when our Jackrabbits moved up to D-I... and we all know how well that's working out!
                          Is Gary Garner still the bb coach? I really was surprised when they announced him as coach. He is a very good coach, maybe getting towards the end of his career, but did a whale of job at Fort Hays, especially when they had that guy who resembled Shaq in body build. I hope DSU can hang on to him for a while. Also playing independant at the NAIA Level is a new twist, but I suspect they will be filling a lot of open dates for GPAC members and should have at least 9 to 10 games alone form them, so it could work out.

Comment

Yep, Gary's the coach... in fact, going into his second year as coach. I wonder if SEMO is kicking themselves for letting him go, especially when his replacement got slapped with a "Show Cause" Penalty.

One interesting note to this. When I talked to Wock yesterday, he said that he had the support of the coaches in going Independent. I think that was key right there, since they're the ones that'll have to do the traveling, scheduling, and even budgeting.

I'm pretty sure that the rest of the DAC is pretty sore at DSU for doing this. But at the same time, it's something that was inevitable. They can blame DSU all they want for probably breaking up the conference. But if that's the case, you should also point the finger at the University of Mary, Minot State University, Black Hills State, and SD Tech (all moving to Division II) and Huron (closed). When your closest opponent is a half a day away and you have several non-conference schools within manageable driving distance, it becomes a no-brainer.

And at a time when money is becoming tight for budgets, it becomes paramount to look at new options. Besides, those of you who pay attention to DSU, which would you be more excited about and pay attention to... a non-conference game with Dakota Wesleyan or Mount Marty, or a conference game in Dickinson, ND?

Not saying Dicky State is a bad school; they are a very fine institution. But I don't think you're going to see many people from Madison taking a 10-hour caravan to Western North Dakota for a basketball game.
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                            X