Black Hills State & SD Tech oked to apply for D-II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Hills State & SD Tech oked to apply for D-II

The Board of Regents oked BHSU & SDSM&T to apply to the NCAA for D-II status.

Re: Black Hills State & SD Tech oked to apply for D-II

What conference will they try to join??
    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

I hear RMAC or NSIC

Comment

No way the NSIC will travel to Rapid City or Spearfish. Minot and Bismarck are already too far for the MN schools. Good luck to them hope they didn't think Valley City St, Jamestown etc.. would jump so the whole DAC was intact by their actions. DII independent could be brutal with their Location if the Rockies dont take them
        BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

I'm hearing RMAC, much of their recruiting comes from Colorado, time zone is the same, and most of the schools are fairly close.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            I'm hearing RMAC, much of their recruiting comes from Colorado, time zone is the same, and most of the schools are fairly close.
            That makes sense, Spearfish and Rapid are closer to Denver than say Kearney Nebraska, that if mileage is that big of a consideration in the west.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              That makes sense, Spearfish and Rapid are closer to Denver than say Kearney Nebraska, that if mileage is that big of a consideration in the west.
              The RMAC has a school in Denver and Kearney

http://www.rmacsports.org/landing/index

Comment

Good news for our pals out west

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14995610

RMAC considers expansion.

The presidents of the 14 Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference schools have asked RMAC commissioner Joel R. Smith to "seek out and research potential new members."

"The RMAC presidents continue to look for more efficient ways to operate the conference," Smith said. "They would like to see if getting larger would improve scheduling options, while reducing extreme travel." A membership task force was created of presidents and athletic directors to review and analyze potential members. The task force will present its recommendations at the RMAC meetings in June.

The last conference expansion was in 1996, when five members of the Colorado Athletic Conference joined.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                  The RMAC has a school in Denver and Kearney

http://www.rmacsports.org/landing/index
                  Hey I know that. My point is that it might be closer for NM Highlands to travel to the Black Hills for two game than it is to travel to mid state Nebraska, but miles are miles and it may not make that much difference. Looks like there is not much room for expansion in the RMAC.

Comment

Hey I know that. My point is that it might be closer for NM Highlands to travel to the Black Hills for two game than it is to travel to mid state Nebraska, but miles are miles and it may not make that much difference. Looks like there is not much room for expansion in the RMAC.
                    Ah gotcha, sorry about that

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                      Good news for our pals out west

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14995610

RMAC considers expansion.

The presidents of the 14 Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference schools have asked RMAC commissioner Joel R. Smith to "seek out and research potential new members."

"The RMAC presidents continue to look for more efficient ways to operate the conference," Smith said. "They would like to see if getting larger would improve scheduling options, while reducing extreme travel." A membership task force was created of presidents and athletic directors to review and analyze potential members. The task force will present its recommendations at the RMAC meetings in June.

The last conference expansion was in 1996, when five members of the Colorado Athletic Conference joined.
                      Very interesting comment, I suspect BHSU and SDTech would help fill out an eastern division of the conference, with Chadron, Kearney, Fort Hays, Pueblo and maybe Regis and Metro. Then those on the west slope of Colorado, would not have to travel east for maybe one or two trips a year in most sports.

Looks like BHSU will be knocking on Joeboo's door in the near future with extended hand.

Comment

I had a conversation with a Lindenwood staffer who said that UNK might switch to the MIAA with Lindenwood. I think that would be a move up to a better conference with more schollies that would probably be offset with lower travel costs. Of course there's still some talk about UNO and UCM going DI, so that might make the MIAA hungry for new members.

Comment

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/spor...cc4c002e0.html

Comment

Very interesting comment, I suspect BHSU and SDTech would help fill out an eastern division of the conference, with Chadron, Kearney, Fort Hays, Pueblo and maybe Regis and Metro. Then those on the west slope of Colorado, would not have to travel east for maybe one or two trips a year in most sports.

Looks like BHSU will be knocking on Joeboo's door in the near future with extended hand.
                            BHSU and Tech in the RMAC for basketball makes a lot of sense. I agree that an east west split works and I also think the two SD schools to the RMAC may very well happen. However, with only 10 RMAC schools currently playing football how would you like to be setting up that schedule with the student athlete in mind? Silver City, Las Vegas, Durango, Gunnison, Alamosa, Grand Junction, Pueblo, Golden, Kearney, Chadron, Rapid City, Spearfish. Calling that a "bus league" may be stretching it but out west in D2 there really isn't a better choice for any of these schools with the exception of Kearney who could go play with the Kansas schools.

Comment

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/spor...cc4c002e0.html

Comment

Working...
                              X