The McDermotts to Creighton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The McDermotts to Creighton

What a fiasco set off by Oregon's late hire of Dana Altman away from Creighton. This led Creighton to buy out Greg's contract at Iowa State, which in turn led his son, Doug, to ask for (and be granted) a release from his LOI to play at UNI to go to Creighton so he can be coached by his dad.

The fall out should be interesting...
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Re: The McDermotts to Creighton

Gee I wonder if the MVC has the same type of rule about transferring within your own conference? In the Big 10 you can not get a scholarship from another Big 10 school if your transfer from one Big 10 to another.

This should get interesting indeed, how would you feel being a new recruit and then finding out that the new coach is bringing in his son, who plays the same position you play.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
      Gee I wonder if the MVC has the same type of rule about transferring within your own conference? In the Big 10 you can not get a scholarship from another Big 10 school if your transfer from one Big 10 to another.

This should get interesting indeed, how would you feel being a new recruit and then finding out that the new coach is bringing in his son, who plays the same position you play.
      This is all very true. This shows the path of the program at ISU - downward, at least with McDermott. Saved ISU from having to fire him after next season!

Also, regarding his son, I watched a game on ESPN of his HS team. That kid can flat out play. I think any team would be lucky to have him - hopefully the guys at Creighton feel the same. UNI lost out on a good one I think.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
        This is all very true. This shows the path of the program at ISU - downward, at least with McDermott. Saved ISU from having to fire him after next season!

Also, regarding his son, I watched a game on ESPN of his HS team. That kid can flat out play. I think any team would be lucky to have him - hopefully the guys at Creighton feel the same. UNI lost out on a good one I think.
        I read on the Cyclone message board that if ISU would have fired him this offseason they would have had to pay him around $2 million, but with this turn of events ISU actually got paid $800,000 to give him up. That is a nice net gain, and need less to say, the majority of the Cyclone fan base (who wanted him out anyways) are pretty ecstatic about this.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

And Iowa State's new head coach is... Fred Hoiberg!?
          - Steven Wright

Comment

I don't think either school took a step forward.

Nine year contract to a guy with a sub .500 conference record in D-1 and only 12 or so games over .500 overall?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              I don't think either school took a step forward.

Nine year contract to a guy with a sub .500 conference record in D-1 and only 12 or so games over .500 overall?
              Maybe not. But the Omaha news shows people are genuinely happy to see Altman out. He was struggling as well. Maybe McDermott can spark some fire in Omaha.

Creighton and ISU didn't have many options. Creighton's taking a chance on a somewhat proven guy at Northern Iowa and ISU is taking a chance on their "Mayor". I know he was terrible at ISU but I think they got a decent coach with McDermott. Sometimes change is good.

If anyone can turn things around at Iowa State hopefully it's Hoiberg. I'm not an ISU fan at all but I'm a fan of Fred Hoiberg. He won't look at ISU as a stepping stone. He grew up there and played ball there. It's where he wants to be. A pretty good choice for how much time they had to work with. He'll be a hometown favorite. Best of luck to him because the cupboard is dry there due to transfers and early leaves to the NBA. Hopefully State can get a game with them next year.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                Maybe not. But the Omaha news shows people are genuinely happy to see Altman out. He was struggling as well.
                Indeed. Did -anyone- make out well on this deal, including Oregon?

Comment

Head coaching can look very easy from a NBA front office. I wonder about Hoiberg too. I hope he can make it. McDermott was a finalist candidate when when SDSU hired Nagy, many years ago

Comment

Who is in the best position after all this? Tubby Smith. As of Friday, no more buyout and will be able to walk to any position he wants. Most likely those spots won't open until next year, but unless he agrees to a restructure that includes a buy-out clause, I think this coming year is his last at Minnesota. Explains why he kept his distance from Oregon.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X