Southwest State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwest State

Just speculating here. Is something going on at SMSU. First Coach Eidsness leaves to become an assistant at SDSU. Now, their women's basketball coach has stepped down. Jina Johansen, former grad assistant for AJ has been named interim coach.

Re: Southwest State

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
    Just speculating here. Is something going on at SMSU. First Coach Eidsness leaves to become an assistant at SDSU. Now, their women's basketball coach has stepped down. Jina Johansen, former grad assistant for AJ has been named interim coach.
    There is something more going on. I've heard quite a bit but most of it is speculation so you have to take that in to account. There are budgetary issues and coaches are being asked to cut their staff, being told the budget for individual sports will be cut, being informed that acceleration of scholarships to the new NSIC levels won't happen, etc....

In other words, the administration is not able to make a commitment to support coaches at the same level other institutions in the NSIC are able to. Hence, a much more difficult environment to compete, win games in. That reflects poorly on the coaches and costs them credibility and sometimes there job. Sounds kind of familiar, I'm very glad we have been able to keep the coaches we have.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      There is something more going on. I've heard quite a bit but most of it is speculation so you have to take that in to account. There are budgetary issues and coaches are being asked to cut their staff, being told the budget for individual sports will be cut, being informed that acceleration of scholarships to the new NSIC levels won't happen, etc....

In other words, the administration is not able to make a commitment to support coaches at the same level other institutions in the NSIC are able to. Hence, a much more difficult environment to compete, win games in. That reflects poorly on the coaches and costs them credibility and sometimes there job. Sounds kind of familiar, I'm very glad we have been able to keep the coaches we have.
      The state budget for Minnesota is a mess so what you are saying is not too surprising, but I also suspect that might be the biggest reason Eric came back to SDSU. Plus, stig has to worry about the budget and not Coach Eidness, that might a consideration too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        The state budget for Minnesota is a mess so what you are saying is not too surprising, but I also suspect that might be the biggest reason Eric came back to SDSU. Plus, stig has to worry about the budget and not Coach Eidness, that might a consideration too.
        I would be interested to know just how much input the head coach has in the budgeting process. Is he/she and active member or are they just given a number and then have to make things work around it?
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          I would be interested to know just how much input the head coach has in the budgeting process. Is he/she and active member or are they just given a number and then have to make things work around it?
          I am guessing, but the head coach probably starts with a number given to him by the AD and from that number he has to break it down as to how it going to be spent on scholarships, salaries, equipment, and so forth, but no doubt his numbers dovetail with the rest of athletic department and that goes back to another budget and so forth unitll you get to the appropriation from the BOR. I know a couple years ago, Stig did not have funds in his budget for a film breakdown device and I helped with a few extra bucks so that he could get this device that every other school had but SDSU did not.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
            I don't know the details but I do know this, most of the guys who love to coach don't want the hassle of budgetary restraint putting them at a disadvantage. Coaching at the college level is unfortunately or perhaps fortunately about a lot more than just coaching. Eric got out of a very difficult situation the way I understand it. As I said before, their loss equals our gain.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
            X