USD Seems Like a Much Bigger Rival Than NDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD Seems Like a Much Bigger Rival Than NDSU

It's the simple truth. I haven't listened to alot of games on the radio involving USD in Frost because I am usually there. I had one opportunity to listen to a State U game in Frost on the radio and the crowd noise was simply defeaning. I listened to the much of the last 10:00 of regulation and the OT's of the game against NDSU and the crowd radio noise on the radio was nothing compared to what the game against USD produced. Not smacking, just a simple observation. It wasn't even close. I heard just about as much noise from people arguing about officials as I did crowd noise. It wasn't bad but wasn't a comparision to the decibal level of the Jacks and Yotes.

3,500 was close to the announced attendance, we'll see what the USD vs SDSU womens game draws on Monday vs an important conference game on a Saturday night.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Re: USD Seems Like a Much Bigger Rival Than NDSU

Of course it is duh!! an instate school opposed to an out of state not even close. SDSU and USD are bigger to the people in SD just like UND is and always will be bigger than anything SDSU and USD bring to the table for us.
    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Well thank god for the usd. I don't know what we would do without them.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
        It's the simple truth. I haven't listened to alot of games on the radio involving USD in Frost because I am usually there. I had one opportunity to listen to a State U game in Frost on the radio and the crowd noise was simply defeaning. I listened to the much of the last 10:00 of regulation and the OT's of the game against NDSU and the crowd radio noise on the radio was nothing compared to what the game against USD produced. Not smacking, just a simple observation. It wasn't even close. I heard just about as much noise from people arguing about officials as I did crowd noise. It wasn't bad but wasn't a comparision to the decibal level of the Jacks and Yotes.

3,500 was close to the announced attendance, we'll see what the USD vs SDSU womens game draws on Monday vs an important conference game on a Saturday night.
        it might be time to replace your 1970's radio. the sound must not work very good.
        Last edited by mitchellrabbit; 02-14-2010, 06:15 AM.

Comment

I was at the game and had my radio with me. I put it away because I couldn't hear it.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post

Just so you know: Steve Imming uses one crowd mic in his setup, and he turns it down (you realize those things can be adjusted, right?). Compare that to Tyler Merriam, who uses three ambient mics to capture crowd noise and basket sounds. Tyler also mixes the ambient sound louder than Steve. Just a different approach.

So you really can't go by what you hear on the radio.

As for attendance, you are aware of the winter storm yesterday, right? It snowed about five inches, rained a little bit (creating a lot of ice) and was blowing around by the end of the game. You think maybe some people couldn't make it, or stayed home since the game was on TV? AND, it's a three-day weekend, so many students were gone. They'll be back Monday, and the weather looks like it'll be fine.

But usually, "rivals" have competitive games. NDSU hasn't been much of a "rival" for our WBB program in a long time. And if you think Monday's game will be competitive, you might want to read Mick's live blog last night. He has seen both teams close up now, and said SDSU is at least a 25 point favorite Monday and that "SDSU plays at a higher level."
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The biggest difference between the SDSU/NDSU rivalry and the SDSU/USD rivalry is that the former centers around the game being played whereas the latter centers around antics of the fans. The SDSU/NDSU rivalry has greater fan potential when the stakes are higher (i.e. 2006 and 2007 football games for the conference title) and the stands generally consist of supporters of one university or the other. The SDSU/USD rivalry brings people in attendance that do not support either university (or are not generally basketball fans) but like to go for the spectacle.

This year, the USD game has the better attendance potential because of a few factors: The game vs. NDSU had poor weather (the roads were awful last night, I drove in it and had to got 40 mph at points) and the stakes of the game were basically a 3 to 4 seed for the Jacks, or a 5 to 6 seed for the Bison. Now the USD game is going to bring fans in due to the layoff between the two universities, even though the chances of the game being competitive are slim to none... but many fans aren't going to be there for the game, because the circus is in town for the first time in 6 years.
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

NDSU has to be a bigger rivalry, because if they aren't then why the heck are you even in 2 leagues with them and made the jump to Division 1 and was pushed to become better and better from NDSU. USD didnt push you guys to that. thats my 2 cents.

Comment

Glad you have your opinion and view point that is consistent within your family, probably makes Thanksgiving a little easier.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

For much of the last several years of the rivalry the USD games were much more important as well at least for the Jacks. Almost every year USD or SDSU won the conference in mens hoops. NDSU was barely a factor most of those years. In football SDSU was average and USD was very bad. USD has played NDSU is big games in the past with more meaning than what SDSU and NDSU currently have now. If you want to talk about rivalries just based on the importance of the games played and not the hoopla surrounding the game USD and NDSU played for a national title in football, a semi final game and a regional championship in mens basketball. I don't recall USD and SDSU in any mens sport playing a single game that important in any mens sport because most of them were just about conference positioning. I also don't recall SDSU or NDSU playing a real important game either other than a game to decide a 5 team alliance championship in football.
                    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Sorry Fever, I forgot the smiley face at the end. I get what you are saying even though I don't totally agree with it. I just spoke to my son yesterday about the game, and he said the only people he has heard one word from (other than me) are two buddies that are in the pep band. They are excited for the game, but he didn't the campus as a whole was more excited than for other games.

Comment

I know we're just a bunch of stupid, hick, pig farmers and the U socialites are lawyers, doctors and ponzi schemists. But reading Charlie Coyotes 'baby fit' in the Argus today - I couldn't help but wonder where in God's White earth he was when we began our transition without them. (after vomitting violently)

Back then we were snobby, stupid, egomaniacal, pompous d-bags (what did I miss?) that were ruining the NCC by making the move. The U was staying D2 to focus on academics - it was totally OUR 'sissy' coaches that were calling off the State-U rivalry. (We moved to D1 without THEM and it was US who were ruining the rivalry?)

Perhaps our sissy coaches were tired of cleaning crap out of the showers following our last State-U game in Frost. (Maturity at it's best from the boys in red)

Coach Nagy summed it up nicely when saying that the rivalry essentially needs to grow up. Tom Douple and the Summit representatives have also put the U on notice that this is a new day and a new level with higher expectations. I believe the XDSU's have grown up and the Oat fans can't deal with it. In their expansive minds and through their rose colored glasses - USD seems like a much bigger rival than NDSU? Really?

Perhaps the U has grown tired of their battles with the DAC10. I just think they are the little brother that wants to play with his big brother and their friends before it's his time. Clock is ticking .... we'll know tomorrow night at this time if the little brother has grown up or if he's just pitching a fit to make noise. I'm guessing the latter.

Comment

I don't hate the U. I "nothing" them. I don't follow their teams that closely, couldn't tell you anything about them other than they are struggling in transition. Isee teams like Oakland, NDSU, and Oral Roberts as bigger rivals right now to SDSU. USD has been irrelevant since the Jacks made the jump to DI and they will continue to be until I feel they are a threat to SDSU. But, tonight's game is just another exihibition to me. It doesn't matter one bit to our standing in the league. Winning on Saturday was much more important to me.

Am I happy that we are playing USD again? Of course, the games against them are like the games against SUU, WIU, and Centenary. Which means the women can win easily and get the starters alot of rest so that they are fresh for the real meaningful games.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

There really isn't any question who the bigger rivalry is, is there? Those roots go back too far.

You can certainly argue the first meetings after the hiatus mean more to the 'Yotes.

I don't feel quite as strong as i_got_a_fever but I want to whip the pups whenever the chance presents itself. My hope is in its renewal the USD/SDSU rivalry can be a lot classier than it was when it ended.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I'll enjoy the game tonight but my focus is really one the end of the regular season conference games and the Summit league tourney. I intend to make every session and plan to attend any NCAA tourney games we qualify for. USD will be a bigger game for me once they are in conference and fully DI (2012),
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X