Vocal fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vocal fans

Always a topic worth debating: when do vocal student section cross the line? Story on ESPN.com with an initial focus on the U of West Virginia student section at basketball games is here: LINK

Bob Huggins asking students to tone it down? Don't that beat all!

Rick Pitino had to put up with students chanting the name of "friend", Karen Sypher.

And we don't allow cowbells....

Re: Vocal fans

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Always a topic worth debating: when do vocal student section cross the line? Story on ESPN.com with an initial focus on the U of West Virginia student section at basketball games is here: LINK

Bob Huggins asking students to tone it down? Don't that beat all!

Rick Pitino had to put up with students chanting the name of "friend", Karen Sypher.

And we don't allow cowbells....
    What the WVU students did was unusually rude and hurtful. Then too, Pitino is a big guy maybe did not hear anything. No doubt Rick wanted to win the game and get out of Morganstown. Its not such a great place but okay, for a few days of training. Cowbells have shown up in places, where it was not a tradition, but used purely for noisemaking. So I fear the permanent lid is not to taken off anytime soon.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 02-04-2010, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Last night during their game with Pitt,Huggins got on the mike to plead that the student section quit throwing things on the floor - shortly after that,a Pitt assistant coach was hit in the face by something thrown from students. Can a conference do anything to reign-in a student section ? Sounds like they are out of control.

Comment

IMO, behavior that is socially unacceptable in public should also be unacceptable at athletic events. For example, most people wouldn't drop f-bombs around a group of strangers. Most people wouldn't throw a cup at a total stranger at the mall. Doing so would likely get you kicked out (either socially or by authorities). It shouldn't be acceptable at a basketball game either. If the behavior continues at WVU, bring in the SWAT team and clear out the student section.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          Last night during their game with Pitt,Huggins got on the mike to plead that the student section quit throwing things on the floor - shortly after that,a Pitt assistant coach was hit in the face by something thrown from students. Can a conference do anything to reign-in a student section ? Sounds like they are out of control.
          They could remove the section of students like they did at the Nebraska vs Colorado football game a couple years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
            They could remove the section of students like they did at the Nebraska vs Colorado football game a couple years ago.
            I would think the first step would be to give the boot to fans that are deemed to be unruly. Perhaps after a few students are banned for the year the rest would fall into line. Then, if things don't improve, you can start taking seating away.

Even when I was in school and the throwing of things was going on, I always thought that a person's first infraction was a ban from games for a month, the second for the season, and a third for life. There is no room for personal attacks or throwing of objects. Heck, maybe pressing assault charges would help stop the objects from being thrown.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              Last night during their game with Pitt,Huggins got on the mike to plead that the student section quit throwing things on the floor
              That's a pretty big difference from the WNIT game at Frost where the Hoosiers coach came out and thanked the fans for coming out.

Stay classy, WVU!!

Comment

Working...
              X