Is Tim Tebow an NFL caliber QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Tim Tebow an NFL caliber QB?

Tons of stats, proven leader and winner. Literally saved his career best passing game for last.

I vote no.

Discuss
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Re: Is Tim Tebow an NFL caliber QB?

As Brian Billick said last night during the game, his mechanics leave a lot to be desired. He would definitely have to improve significantly there because his drawn out, winding release will make it hard on him to hit the small windows in the NFL where the DBs and LBs are a lot faster and more skilled. Brian Billick was a pretty successful offensive coordinator in his day so I can appreciate his analysis.

However, Tebow is a proven winner, and while I would never cheer for him, nor have I ever cheered for him, he does get it done in college football. He makes big plays at opportune moments.

On a related note, I can't stand Florida, or any SEC team for that matter. Couple that with the media's obnoxious obsession with Tebow (read ESPN), and I cringe every time I see him on TV. The speeches that he gives at half time or before games are reminiscent of James Vanderbeek in Varsity Blues. Thanks ESPN for allowing me to witness such awe-inspiring brilliance. Gag.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Could he really do any worse than Jamarcus Russell has in his 3 years?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
        Could he really do any worse than Jamarcus Russell has in his 3 years?
        HA! That made me laugh out loud. What a bust that guy is. Tebow would definitely work a lot harder to get better than Russell has.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
          I vote no.
          I think he is. But only for a bad to mediocre team.

I don't think any coach is willing to invest the time in retraining him, because they're not likely to have that kind of time themselves.

I could see some team running a system like the Michael Vick Falcons, and him being round about as successful as Vick was, which is to say, he'd get lots of press and highlight footage, but the team wouldn't be that great.

Comment

I say no. Tell me the last successful Florida QB that succeeded in the NFL?

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
              Tons of stats, proven leader and winner. Literally saved his career best passing game for last.

I vote no.

Discuss
              Agree.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think part of the problem with discussions like this is that when people think "NFL caliber QB", they think of Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, etc. Problem is, the guys who come to mind as "NFL caliber" are potential hall of famers, not the average NFL QB.

I think the discussion changes dramatically when you compare Tebow to current starting quarterbacks like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chad Henne, Matt Cassel, Josh Freeman, Matt Moore, Kyle Boller, Alex Smith, etc. So, when asking if Tebow is NFL caliber, really you're asking if he can compete against and beat out guys like that. I think he can.

There have been plenty of decent NFL QB's who didn't have a pretty throwing motion and didn't have half the physical ability and mental toughness of Tebow.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

If he is drafted in the first round, I say he doesn't pan out.

If he is drafted in the 2nd round, I say it's 50-50

If he is drafted in the 3rd round or later, I'd say it's about 75-25 in his favor.

The reasoning is he needs a lot of work on his release, arm angle, and footwork to be a successful NFL QB, so he'll probably need to sit for 2-3 years before seeing the field. If he is drafted in the first round, he'll be rushed into the lineup by a bad team and be set up for failure, but if he is drafted later he might get the time to refine his game. He has the arm strength, the size, and the work ethic to be a good NFL QB; but the question is will he get the time to adjust?
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

I will go on the record and say 5 years from now he will be a pretty good QB.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                      I will go on the record and say 5 years from now he will be a pretty good TE.

Fixed it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                        In the CFL.

You're right I'm just being an antagonist now.

Have there been any previous QB Heisman winners that haven't become "NFL caliber" QB's? (rhetorical)
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          I say no. Tell me the last successful Florida QB that succeeded in the NFL?
                          Let's see. Leak? Nope. Grossman? Nope. Wuerfell? Nope. Tebow will be a reach if he goes on the first day of the draft.

Comment

It's all about Tim Tebow
                            http://www.sdsucollegian.com/2011/12/07/its-all-about-tim-tebow/

People don’t like what they don’t understand.

Look at the things in your life that you like to do and you don’t like to do and you will have a correlation between being good at the things you like and not being very good at the things that you don’t like.....
                            Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
                            Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              I will go on the record and say 5 years from now he will be a pretty good TE.

Fixed it for you.
                              I am still not convinced. But in the end all that matters is the "W"'s, which he is getting.

Comment

Working...
                              X