TX Tech Coach Suspended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TX Tech Coach Suspended

Texas Tech's Coach Mike Leach suspended for the Alamo Bowl for mistreatment of a player who suffered a concussion.

If the player's complaint is accurate, Leach should lose his job. The player, Adam James, is the son of ESPN football analyst Craig James.

Link to the ESPN.com story is here.

Re: TX Tech Coach Suspended

Fired today. What a mess - first 13 Michigan State players are either suspended or kicked off the team, now this. As a friend dubbed it, this should be called the Texas Turmoil Bowl instead of the Alamo.
    Last edited by sfsd; 12-30-2009, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Watching ESPN tonight and throughout the evening, more and more being said about the Leach firing. The Texas Tech Chancellor's comments early in the evening were interesting, to say the least! "I'm very sad to say there's only one person to blame for this and it's Mike Leach," Texas Tech chancellor Kent Hance told The Associated Press.

At about 11:00 p.m., Leach issued a statement read on ESPN...he's firing back hard, saying they'll litigate, he and his family have been injured, etc. etc.

The school has taken a very aggressive public position. Usually the standard response is "no comment" or a carefully-worded written statement that has been worked over by PR experts and the school's lawyer. [I wonder if the lawyers for the school and Leach are thinking "how can I get this guy to shut up?" On the other hand, perhaps this is all calculated and orchestrated.]

It would be interesting to see what language was included in the Leach contract about paying severance in the event of termination for cause.

The school handed a letter of termination to Leach's lawyer minutes before the hearing on Leach's request for a restraining order. Leach and his lawyer must have conceded that the request for a TRO (the goal was to get him reinstated so he could coach the Alamo Bowl game) was a dead end because Leach was terminated. (Had to laugh: probably one happy Texas state-court judge in Lubbock...I can see the judge taking the rest of the day off, probably went to the Buddy Holly Museum.)

One possible outcome: This case may be the start of a new era in dealing with big-time coaches earning big-time salaries. I have wondered how often schools buy-out a coach's contract to get rid of a problem when they may have a solid legal basis to just can the coach and not pay him anything.

Comment

The beauty of it is he signed a five year extension last February. The administration obviously had it out for him as he was scheduled to receive an $800,000 bonus if he was still the head coach on December 31, 2009. Also, according to what I saw on ESPN's bottom line, by being "fired with cause" it voided a clause in his contract that would have paid him $400,000 per year left on his contract if he was let go. This is going to get really, really ugly. Sad thing is, many people are going to blame Adam James, the player who is at the center of Leach's original suspension, even though I'm guessing there was a LOT more going on that were grounds for his ultimate termination.

I think it would have been more appropriate for Craig James to NOT comment on any of what is going on surrounding his family given his role as a commentator for bowl games. I know he was supposed to be on the team for the Alamo Bowl, but instead was moved to last night's Nebraska game.

Good times in Big Time college football.

Adding link to ESPN.com story.
        http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls0...ory?id=4781981
        A cell phone video from Adam James being locked in the electrical closet has been released as well.
        Last edited by CatchEmAll; 12-31-2009, 08:37 AM. Reason: adding link
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          Watching ESPN tonight and throughout the evening, more and more being said about the Leach firing. The Texas Tech Chancellor's comments early in the evening were interesting, to say the least! "I'm very sad to say there's only one person to blame for this and it's Mike Leach," Texas Tech chancellor Kent Hance told The Associated Press.

At about 11:00 p.m., Leach issued a statement read on ESPN...he's firing back hard, saying they'll litigate, he and his family have been injured, etc. etc.

The school has taken a very aggressive public position. Usually the standard response is "no comment" or a carefully-worded written statement that has been worked over by PR experts and the school's lawyer. [I wonder if the lawyers for the school and Leach are thinking "how can I get this guy to shut up?" On the other hand, perhaps this is all calculated and orchestrated.]

It would be interesting to see what language was included in the Leach contract about paying severance in the event of termination for cause.

The school handed a letter of termination to Leach's lawyer minutes before the hearing on Leach's request for a restraining order. Leach and his lawyer must have conceded that the request for a TRO (the goal was to get him reinstated so he could coach the Alamo Bowl game) was a dead end because Leach was terminated. (Had to laugh: probably one happy Texas state-court judge in Lubbock...I can see the judge taking the rest of the day off, probably went to the Buddy Holly Museum.)

One possible outcome: This case may be the start of a new era in dealing with big-time coaches earning big-time salaries. I have wondered how often schools buy-out a coach's contract to get rid of a problem when they may have a solid legal basis to just can the coach and not pay him anything.
          Apparently, Leach is an attorney, a graduate of Pepperdine. Not sure if that means anything as far as how this plays out, but it's an interesting detail.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Jack JD:
            This is an interesting observation. One we lay people can grasp without too much trouble. Seems like law intrepetation often refers back to a former case and outcomes. I agree with these multi year contracts, some schools have gotten rid of real problems with contract buy outs and the trouble makers, and non-compliant NCAA coaches seem to wonder on down the road only to pull the same crap somewhere else.

I had thought Leach was a fairly clean coach, but if there is cause then he deserves to face the consequences. I believe he was featured on 60 minutes about year ago.

Comment

Then you have coaches like Tom Izzo who sent Kaylen Lucas home from practice and told him not to come back unitl he wanted to be a team player and put forth some effort to help the team and be a leader. Did it with class and taught Lucas a lesson. He didn't start the next game but he did put forth effort and tried to regain his leadership role.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                Then you have coaches like Tom Izzo who sent Kaylen Lucas home from practice and told him not to come back unitl he wanted to be a team player and put forth some effort to help the team and be a leader. Did it with class and taught Lucas a lesson. He didn't start the next game but he did put forth effort and tried to regain his leadership role.
                I hadn't heard that one. I'm a big Izzo fan. He's a great, great coach.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Did anyone see Leach on ESPN talking about Adam James and Craig James? He really doesn't hold anything back.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                    Did anyone see Leach on ESPN talking about Adam James and Craig James? He really doesn't hold anything back.
                    Saw a replay of it. No love lost for the James' family there. Must not be an issue in regard to his firing or one would think his lawyer would have told him to stay quiet on commenting on them.
                    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

MSU's Tom Izzo upset with Kalin Lucas, tells him not to practice

By JOE REXRODE
                      LANSING STATE JOURNAL
                      Kalin Lucas did not practice today, as mandated by Tom Izzo, and Lucas' status for Wednesday's game against Texas-Arlington and beyond is uncertain.
                      http://www.freep.com/article/2009122...ot-to-practice

Izzo made it clear that he is unhappy with the leadership displayed by Lucas, and that distractions are an issue. Izzo said this is not a suspension. This is not an academic issue. Izzo also made it clear he didn't ask Lucas not to practice. He told him.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                        It's been a "he said-she said" deal so far.

IF (I said 'if') what Leach said is true about Craig James being a dad who was constantly contacting the coaches (head coach and two position coaches) about his kid's playing time, I wouldn't be surprised. I have nothing to base it on, just a gut feeling as I think he's a bit arrogant on television.

Comment

I have the same gut feeling.

Comment

so far, it seems the players on the team are not critical of the James kid.

Comment

If it turns out that Craig was under the supervision of a trainer like the trainer recently attest too, then the only mistake Leach made was not dismissing Craig James from the team. Anyone who feels he is entitled to something because of his father (with his father calling in and trying to reassure the coaches of this), they need to be dismissed until they shape up ala Tom Izzo's recent situation.
                              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X