Sioux nickname change likely with tribe stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sioux nickname change likely with tribe stand

Nothing like stirring the pot here, but the Fargo Forum has an interesting story about what is developing with the North Dakota Board of Higher Edcuation and this issue. It appears that UND as an institution is about willing to drop the issue if means moving forward on other things.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/258421/

Re: Sioux nickname change likely with tribe stand

We should all live so long.....

The Oct. 31st extension was lunacy, the fallback deadline to Nov. 30th was feckless, and the meeting on Nov. 19th should be another brilliant display of lunacy and fecklessness.

I just do not see the SBoHE having the collective willpower to pull the plug on this nickname.

Comment

Somebody needs to take charge up there and make a decision. I believe they will be better off and it will be less worrisome if they just get rid of the current nickname. Are there going to be a large number of upset people about losing the "Sioux" name and mascot. Yeah, either they will get over it or the university will have to move on without them. I think UND can survive, if even a few dozen people cut off all ties with the university, because the mascot was changed. If and when, the mascot is changed, it will potentially open more doors than continuing on with the status quo. Conference affiliation is one, easier scheduling another, improved reputation of the university academically for taking the higher road.

Comment

Tony(Bisonvile owner) had the best line regarding the State Board and the word 'deadlines':

TSBoHE is to the word "deadline" what Vizzini was to the word "inconceivable" (as Inigo Montoya once said, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.")

Comment

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story...nging-nickname

It just never ends.

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

One issue with the nickname is that the some of the most ardent defenders of the Sioux nickname are highly disrespectful of native Americans, so it makes the claim that the nickname is to honor native Americans ring rather hollow. That disprespect from some of the supporters doesn't go without being noticed, so it undermines support among the tribes.

Comment

That court order is bizarre.

Nowhere in the initial settlement did it say that the tribes needed to approve DROPPING the nickname. Therefore the tribe has no standing to sue, IMO.

Comment

I don't know if this is a joke, but I was told by 2 people that go to UND, 2 that go to NDSU and 2 members of one of the tribes that UND will change there name to the "flickertails" they will go with the UND with the flame logo for now before developing a bird logo because that is what a flickertail is.....

It seems like a joke to me but I really don't know.....

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                  That court order is bizarre.

Nowhere in the initial settlement did it say that the tribes needed to approve DROPPING the nickname. Therefore the tribe has no standing to sue, IMO.
                  I haven't looked, but I believe that order may be the result of the "home town justice." I suspect the judge is a graduate of UND & UND school of law. Pure speculation, but unless they came up with some legal argument I can't come up, and that is very possible, I don't get what the basis is for the order.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

You can get any judge to give you a stay/court order.... the hard part is getting it to stick....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      I don't know if this is a joke, but I was told by 2 people that go to UND, 2 that go to NDSU and 2 members of one of the tribes that UND will change there name to the "flickertails" they will go with the UND with the flame logo for now before developing a bird logo because that is what a flickertail is.....

It would be interesting if they developed a bird logo... a flickertail is a ground squirrel.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

You can get any judge to give you a stay/court order.... the hard part is getting it to stick....
                        Well no, there are several things you need to show in your filing, but you are correct that it is more difficult to get a preliminary injunction converted to a permanent injunction.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          It would be interesting if they developed a bird logo... a flickertail is a ground squirrel.
                          shows u what I know.... just saying what the 2 members of the tribe told me.... ok maybe it was a squirrel then....

Comment

I've given you a break Joeboo22 in recent time but this post reminds me of the crap you used to post when you first joined this board. A Flickertail isn't a bird!!! So the six ND people who supposedely told you this was true must be really smart! Keep this kind of 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th hand, etc information off this board please. Please for everyone's sake stick to news that can be validated with an online article or something of substance.

Comment

where did that district court judge graduate from?

Comment

Working...
                              X