Passion and Pride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passion and Pride

Thsi weekend I had the privledge of watching Iowa State beat Nebraska in Lincoln by a score of 9-7. It was just a heck of a game. But this win only a few weeks ago was highly unlikely given the fact that Iowa State had won only 2 games the previous 2 years. Anyway, they hired a new coach, and his name is Paul Rhoads.

If you want to fully understand why kids play for a coach, and how a coach can influence a young man or lady in college sports, then I am asking you to go to Iowa States website.... www.cyclones.com

Click on the football link, then find the film clip titled lockerroom celebration. It is only 2 minutes long, but just watch this guy. I think it is nothing short of amazing. Maybe your coach is like this, I don't know, but do me a favor and watch it. Then give me your opinion.

Thanks

If you can't find it on the Cyclone website, go to www.youtube.com and put in Iowa State football in search enhine. It should pop up there also.

Re: Passion and Pride

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
    Thsi weekend I had the privledge of watching Iowa State beat Nebraska in Lincoln by a score of 9-7. It was just a heck of a game. But this win only a few weeks ago was highly unlikely given the fact that Iowa State had won only 2 games the previous 2 years. Anyway, they hired a new coach, and his name is Paul Rhoads.

If you want to fully understand why kids play for a coach, and how a coach can influence a young man or lady in college sports, then I am asking you to go to Iowa States website.... www.cyclones.com

Click on the football link, then find the film clip titled lockerroom celebration. It is only 2 minutes long, but just watch this guy. I think it is nothing short of amazing. Maybe your coach is like this, I don't know, but do me a favor and watch it. Then give me your opinion.

Thanks

If you can't find it on the Cyclone website, go to www.youtube.com and put in Iowa State football in search enhine. It should pop up there also.
    Not able to access the link right now but I will check it out when able. Coach Stig, Coach Johnston and Coach Nagy are the 3 individuals I interact with on occasion. I can't think of any 3 people I'd rather have coach my children, my friend's children or even my enemy's children (not that I have any). I don't doubt Coach Rhoads is also a great man but I'm not trading any of our guys for anybody else. We are very fortunate to have them at SDSU and I hope they each choose to stay as long as they want. If you don't think Nagy has had offers then you aren't paying attention. Obviously, AJ has chosen to stay. Stig is going to be a popular name if things continue the way they are.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      Not able to access the link right now but I will check it out when able. Coach Stig, Coach Johnston and Coach Nagy are the 3 individuals I interact with on occasion. I can't think of any 3 people I'd rather have coach my children, my friend's children or even my enemy's children (not that I have any). I don't doubt Coach Rhoads is also a great man but I'm not trading any of our guys for anybody else. We are very fortunate to have them at SDSU and I hope they each choose to stay as long as they want. If you don't think Nagy has had offers then you aren't paying attention. Obviously, AJ has chosen to stay. Stig is going to be a popular name if things continue the way they are.
      I understand your post, and my post wasn't made to suggest anything other than how a coach can affect his or her players. I understand your loyalty to your current staff, as I feel the same about ours at USD. I am just pointing out that a coach's atttitude towards his/her squad can have a huge outcome on how they play for him/her.

Again, just watch it, and ignore the fact I suggested it, and tell me what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
        I understand your post, and my post wasn't made to suggest anything other than how a coach can affect his or her players. I understand your loyalty to your current staff, as I feel the same about ours at USD. I am just pointing out that a coach's atttitude towards his/her squad can have a huge outcome on how they play for him/her.

Again, just watch it, and ignore the fact I suggested it, and tell me what you think.
        I didn't mean to suggest that you felt otherwise and apologize for not making that clear. Only taking the opportunity to voice my support for our coaches. I haven't always been the biggest supporter and for that I accept fault. I made some judgments about one individual in particular before I really knew the man. Ignorant on my part.

I will take your advice and view the video when I have a chance.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

This is kind of a jackmd/Yoteforever lovefest right here.

I hope this will be a kinder, gentler rivalry.

Thanks for the post Yoteforever. Will check it out. Emberassing loss for my Huskers! Eight turnovers? Yikes! How good is the Huskers D to endure 8 TO's by the O and only give up 9 points?

Two steps forward and one step back in Lincoln right now.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Thanks, Yoteforever, I'll take a look. I'm always interested in the ways that coaches motivate their players.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I am sure Rhoades is a noble guy and trying to turn a program around. I wonder what the locker room reaction was after they just barely beat NDSU. I would be asking some people to step up, but this was a big one for ISU, no doubt about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                I am sure Rhoades is a noble guy and trying to turn a program around. I wonder what the locker room reaction was after they just barely beat NDSU. I would be asking some people to step up, but this was a big one for ISU, no doubt about that.
                First of all, this isn't a smack thread so I won't say what I am thinking. I posted this on here so fans of sports could see what a passionate coach does for the physc of a team. I wasn't suggesting SDSU had the wrong coach in place, because obviously they have a great coach, and one they are proud of. I wasn't suggesting Iowa State is a great team, because past records indicate otherwise. I was just referencing football fans to a very emotional coach.

Nidaros, you claim they barely beat North Dakota State. Now c'mon, 34-17 isn't barely. If it is, then SDSU really barely beat NDSU because you won by a lesser margin. All I did by putting this on here was to use a real life example of how a team buys into the coach. Period.

Comment

Just for reference, no smack intended and only posted to show how sometimes the final score does not indicate just how close the game was.

It took less than five minutes for the Bison to answer ISU’s second-half score. Matt Veldman snagged a Mertens toss in the back of the endzone on an 18-yard scoring strike to keep NDSU close at 24-17 with 3:26 left in the third period.

By the way, I haven't been able to find the clip referenced regarding Coach Rhoads and his motivational abilities. Must just be me. It's been a long couple of days.

Comment

I know Paul Rhoads, and he is a first class guy. I wish him and the "clones" all the success in the world....as long as they're not playing the Jacks.
                    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                    Muhammad Ali

Comment

Just watched the video. As a former player it brought some chills. That is a coach who has his player's undying support. Choked me up a little when the coach got choked up. To get that kind of reaction out of the players (singing a fight song in the lockerroom) shows that they have bought into the coach and what he preaches.

Thanks for sharing yoteforever.

link here for those that haven't watched yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAcKiMy0Gp4
                      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I was impressed the players actually knew the words to the fight song. I don't think I've ever seen any of our athletes sing our school fight song.

Doesn't mean they don't know it, but I don't think I've seen any of them sing it.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Emotions are amazing especially when shared by a large but closely associated group of people. That program has been through a lot of struggles recently and the victory over Nebraska should help them turn a corner. I don't doubt this coach is just as proud to be their head coach when the score isn't in their favor.

Agreed, great link, nice mid-day boost for me.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                            I was impressed the players actually knew the words to the fight song. I don't think I've ever seen any of our athletes sing our school fight song.

Doesn't mean they don't know it, but I don't think I've seen any of them sing it.
                            Agreed.

But after seeing that song it also makes me thing we need to jazz up our fight song a little bit with some extra words between verses ("Go State", or "Fight, Fight", or something) in order to get some participation from the crowd/team. This has been stated on the board before. We just stand their clapping along. Iowa State's song is nice, as they have a few different areas when people can join in.

I'm sure the traditionalists would turn up their noses at this however...
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                              Agreed.

But after seeing that song it also makes me thing we need to jazz up our fight song a little bit with some extra words between verses ("Go State", or "Fight, Fight", or something) in order to get some participation from the crowd/team. This has been stated on the board before. We just stand their clapping along. Iowa State's song is nice, as they have a few different areas when people can join in.

I'm sure the traditionalists would turn up their noses at this however...
                              How about a school song that starts.." Goooooo South Dakota........." ??

Comment

Working...
                              X