Brandon Wegher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon Wegher

Brandon Wegher, son of former SDSU RB Rick Wegher, just scored a TD to put Iowa up on Iowa State 28-3. Wegher, a true freshman (and somebody SDSU would have liked to get) has looked, to me, like the best RB on Iowa's roster today.

Reminds me of Kyle Minett, albeit a little quicker.
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: Brandon Wegher

Jimmy, did you notice that Riley Reif started today at left O tackle? Another guy it would have been great to get.

Comment

Reiff has helped Wegher go over 100 yards as the Hawks go up 35-3.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Both young men looked very impressive. I agree that Brandon looked like the best back on the field as a true freshman.

Comment

Rieff played extremely well as did Wegher. Problem is, as soon as Baluga gets healthy, Rieff will move back to second string. Good effort for him today though.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

It's going to be hard to keep Wegher out of the starting lineup. He looked like by far the best RB on the roster today.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              It's going to be hard to keep Wegher out of the starting lineup. He looked like by far the best RB on the roster today.
              Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                Agreed.
                Saw him play a few games last year at Heelan and he is good. Ken O'Keefe ( Iowa offfensive coordinator ) said to me at a function this summer they felt the Wegher boy was maybe one of the top 7 or 8 running backs in the country. rare for a freshman to play Big ten football

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                  Saw him play a few games last year at Heelan and he is good. Ken O'Keefe ( Iowa offfensive coordinator ) said to me at a function this summer they felt the Wegher boy was maybe one of the top 7 or 8 running backs in the country. rare for a freshman to play Big ten football

Hnnnnhhhh? Not at the skill positions. If anything, true freshmen have made some of the biggest marks on recent Big 10 footbal. Case in point: Current QBs at Ohio State and Michigan. Evan Royster had a pretty good freshman year at Penn State even though Tony Hunt was around; the three Penn State WRs who graduated last year caught more than 100 balls, combined, their freshmen year. Michigan State RB Javon Ringer started from day one and had just short of 1,000 yards his freshman year. I could go on.....

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                    Hnnnnhhhh? Not at the skill positions. If anything, true freshmen have made some of the biggest marks on recent Big 10 footbal. Case in point: Current QBs at Ohio State and Michigan. Evan Royster had a pretty good freshman year at Penn State even though Tony Hunt was around; the three Penn State WRs who graduated last year caught more than 100 balls, combined, their freshmen year. Michigan State RB Javon Ringer started from day one and had just short of 1,000 yards his freshman year. I could go on.....
                    Yup. There are a few notables. I would say, though, that it's a little more unusual at Iowa where Kirk Ferentz has a Stig-esque approach to loyalty and longevity. The last freshman who made a splash at Iowa, a WR whose name escapes me, ended up getting in trouble and getting kicked off the team.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Dominique Douglass I believe is who you are thinking about. Stole some Dvds I believe?

Comment

Originally posted by sf_jackster View Post
                        Dominique Douglass I believe is who you are thinking about. Stole some Dvds I believe?
                        Yup, that's the guy. What an idiot.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Wegher has been named the starter as the first string RB Robinson has a high ankle sprain. It was announced the Robinson likely would miss the remanider of the regular season, but may return for a bowl game.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                            Wegher has been named the starter as the first string RB Robinson has a high ankle sprain. It was announced the Robinson likely would miss the remanider of the regular season, but may return for a bowl game.
                            Too bad for Robinson, he was really coming on strong. I am glad that Wegher received some significant playing time this year, because he is going to be key for the Hawkeyes to continue this march to Pasadena. Iowa needs to be able to run the ball effectively and Wegher has proven he is capable.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                              Too bad for Robinson, he was really coming on strong. I am glad that Wegher received some significant playing time this year, because he is going to be key for the Hawkeyes to continue this march to Pasadena. Iowa needs to be able to run the ball effectively and Wegher has proven he is capable.
                              Wegher got knocked out for most of the game last week against Michigan State, but he looked pretty shifty and powerful change-of-pace runner early and late in the game. Robinson looked to be more of a true power back, though. Iowa's O-Line is one of the best I've seen in years, they just impose their will on a defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X