Article about UNC's struggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article about UNC's struggles

If you don't have anything better to do. Brief mention of the former NCC.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13227316

UNC, Sacramento State, Portland State, North Dakota State and South Dakota State are among the former Division II football powers in the 1990s that have moved up to what now is called the Football Championship Subdivision, the former I-AA. South Dakota and North Dakota are in the early stages of following.

Said Downing: "I look at UNC as a trend-setter in this. If you look at the schools in the North Central Conference with us, where are they now? North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, the teams that we as a Division II national power competed against every year, they did the same thing we did.

"Why? Because of the benefits of increased national exposure. We did what everybody else was thinking about doing.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Article about UNC's struggles

IMHO, what has happened at UNC is exactly what the prognasticators were fearful would happen at SDSU.

Instead, SDSU has found a way to lead the nation in many ways, but especially in GPA, and still have quality teams that aren't just competing for, but finding ways to win league titles.

SDSU has become the benchmark for programs to succeed as move ups, and for that we salute SDSU athletic dept.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
      IMHO, what has happened at UNC is exactly what the prognasticators were fearful would happen at SDSU.

Instead, SDSU has found a way to lead the nation in many ways, but especially in GPA, and still have quality teams that aren't just competing for, but finding ways to win league titles.

SDSU has become the benchmark for programs to succeed as move ups, and for that we salute SDSU athletic dept.
      Rep pts given, as I agree in general with this opinion. I think though that their are more problems in Greenley than in Brookings. Greenly being in the shadow of large universities, a large meto area and all sorts of competition in terms of fund raising. I think too that UNC put all their faith in the Coor's family and also the Monforts, who create the insidious odor around Greely with their beef production. SDSU is the cow college? UNC might be one without choice.

I not an expert on UNC, but their decision was made differently than what SDSU experience. Apparently each state assisted school has their own board of trustees, and if their is an equivalent to SD BOR, they did not have a voice in the decision at all. If there were then UNC might have been in similar situation as UNO.

The other thing that strikes me is that UNC during the D2 years had their pick of marginal D1 players in Colorado and Northern New Mexico. Several NCC schools including NDSU tried to invade and pull out recruits. I believe Brown for SDSU was one that we snagged but he had Bob Bozied for a coach and NDSU had a guy name Samuels from Colorado. Augie got a great kicker out there so even these few recruits, hardly slowed UNC down in the days to D2.

UNC had their pick of excellant players and give Joe Glenn and Mike Breske credit they coached that program to perfection in 1996 and 197. SDSU even with Ranek had problems with the UNC Defense. Now that these coaches are gone and the playing field no longer tilts in UNC direction for recruiting, its a whole new game, and thats what the article seems to be saying.

I can recall BB games whene there were no more than 120 people in attendence and it has to do with students who can go skiing or any number of actitives rather than attend an athletic event. UNC's challenge is great. SDSU considering our relative isolation has made big progress and maybe not having skiing and all these other distractions is a good thing. The only game in town so they say.

Comment

Interesting article but they missed, or left out some of the story which was actually posted in the comments. Former NCC mates SDSU and NDSU have both transitioned into winning programs in a top to bottom stronger conference. Yes they do have competition for recruits, and fans however I think the real reason they are in the situation they are is Kay Dalton. That was a horrible promotion. He was a very good assistant, he was not the man to lead them into the transition. Downing started in a hole. He may not be the guy to dig them out.

As for options, they really have no place to go. The RMAC and a move down is not an option, or at least not a good option. I can't even imagine UNC having to schedule WSC, Adams or Mesa. That would be painful after the NCC and Big Sky. Leaving the Big Sky for a Great West would kill the other sports. They will have to suck it up.

Comment

Working...
        X