Sioux Falls DI Football Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sioux Falls DI Football Players

The two recent Su-Fu recruits that signed with NDSU and Stu's article got me wondering how many Sioux Falls DI football players there were. I quick looked at the 4 dakota schools and UNI, let me know if I missed someone.

Some things that surprised me:
    - Only 17 total players so around 3 DI players a year come out of Sioux Falls
    - 7 players were from last years class
    - UND has no players
    - Lincoln only has one player, Matt Hylland, and he might have been a walk-on

Washington
    SR DB Ryan Routh USD
    JR C Ryan McKnight SDSU
    FR LB Tim Marlette USD
    FR TE Quentin McMartin USD
    FR DE Nick Franken USD
    HS WR Trevor Gebhart NDSU

Roosevelt
    JR DL Antonio Thompson SDSU
    JR K Ryan Jastram NDSU
    SO WR Brad Iverson SDSU
    SO LB Preston Evans NDSU
    FR LB Jake Weiss SDSU

O’Gorman
    SR LB Josh Mahoney UNI
    FR WR Will Powell USD
    FR DL Mike Pharis USD
    FR DB Phil Wright UNI
    HS DE Mike Hardie NDSU

Lincoln
    JR WR Matt Hylland SDSU

USD - 6
    SDSU - 5
    NDSU - 2 with 2 on the way =4
    UNI – 2
    UND - 0

Re: Sioux Falls DI Football Players

Stu's blog had nothing to do with recruits going to NDSU. It was his way of whining about the fact USD and SDSU do not play in 2010 and also to put SDSU down. The topic of the blog changed pretty quickly.
    Last edited by 22jack; 08-14-2009, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Agreed, Stu has a couple agendas that end up backstabbing their way into his articles. (new arena for su-fu, move to D-I was wrong, USD vs SDSU needs to be rekindled, and SuFu high school sports; in particular O'Gorman. Everybody kind of knows his spiel.
      I for one don't have a problem with the negative's of SDSU being reported along side with the positives but Stu really exaggerates facts and goes out of his way to put his own spin on things. I guess that's why it's in his blog and not posted as an article.

The above post didn't have anything to do with Stu's article, it just got me to thinking about Su-Fu football recruits. Who they are, which school did they come from and which school did they go to and if they numbers are rising and such.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
        Stu's blog had nothing to do with recruits going to NDSU. It was his way of whining about the fact USD and SDSU do not play in 2010 and also to put SDSU down. The topic of the blog changed pretty quikly.
        Agreed he used it a lead into the USD SDSU debate
        BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Once more: the reason IMHO why Stu writes articles the way he does, is because he gets more, bigger reactions from people that way. That's his entire purpose in tweaking SDSU fans the way he does. If he could get the same level of reaction by tweaking fans of other universities in the state, he'd do that, too.

Consider it a complement, and move on.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The best Sioux Falls players have gone to SDSU and USD the past few years, not NDSU and obviously not UND. I think recent history would prove that. Preston Evans? He's potentially a good player for the Bison, but I question if he would even start this year for the Jacks. UNI snagged Josh Mahoney, a good player, before there were really any D-1 opportunities in South Dakota. Hopefully the Jacks will keep players like Mahoney in the state in the future.
            This space for lease.

Comment

I think some Sioux Falls players are attracted to living and playing in a similiar size community like Fargo. I know the Jacks have done very well recruiting smart,character guys with talent despite the facilities. Imagine what we can do once we have completed the Dykhouse Center, addresed the stadium issue, build a new indoor practice facility and get a fully staffed coaching staff. NDSU still has a lot of advantages from a recruiting standpoint with the facilities they have, but we are moving in the right direction and most importantly are winning where it counts and that is on the field.

Comment

One strong measure of recruiting success is head-to-head competition. I've been to the last four SDSU v NDSU football games. For me, the win/loss records of SDSU and NDSU in head-to-head competition the last four years answer any questions about recruiting differences. I suppose this may sound a little arrogant to our NDSU friends but we are now comparing recruiting efforts with the teams which, in addition to SDSU, appear to have the best shot at #1 the MVFC: UNI & SIU. Based on the past few Bison recruiting classes, I contend that some of the athletes NDSU is recruiting are not the athletes who will take a team to the MVFC championship and beyond. We want to compare our recruiting to UNI and SIU and program which may be better than the best in the MVFC.

Comment

kids go to college for MANY different reasons, pinpointing it to wins and losses or facilities I think is over-rated... Stu might have a point if the kid was from Texas or something but a kid from South Dakota isn't going to go to North Dakota because of facilities only... it could be a better fit, just liked the college more, maybe they wanted to some what get away from there friends, maybe they had a relative go there and so and so.... also the fact that they offered a scholarship first probably helped matters...

Comment

Working...
                  X